Shadowrun General > General Discussion

1e Warts and All: What should I watch out for?

(1/4) > >>

jdrakeh:
So, I'm something of a curator of OOP RPG systems and I recently acquired a copy of the Shadowrun 1e core rules. I plan on running it warts and all from my Electronic Role Playing Simulation Station (I can't leave the house). These rules were my introduction Shadowrun, but that was a looooooong time ago (early 90s). My memory is a little fuzzy. Are there any terribly broken problems? I should note that I could give two figs about artificial "balance" in RPGs with Stormbringer being one of my all-time favourite RPGs (a RPG where you could conceivably have living agents of primordial forces and literal beggars in the same party). So casters being more powerful than martial classes and such is of zero concern to me.

Redwulfe:
The one that comes to my mind right off the bat is that the target number to resist a spell was based on the Skill of the caster. So when specialized your caster casting any type of ball spell forces the targets to resist at Diff 8. That is a starting character. It was not hard to push a spells damage up and with the difficulty 8 even easy to resist spells could knock out an entire room of guard in one go with little reproductions on the attacking mage. and if that mage has improved reflexes or the like spell locked to them they are as fast as the SAM.

Combat mages made short work of many runs.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
The automatic/ burst fire rules were insane:you'd resolve EACH bullet as a separate attack.  Highly recommend house ruling something similar to a subsequent edition.

Redwulfe:
Also wanted to Say kudos, this is one of my favorite editions. Deadly AF which I love. :)

jdrakeh:

--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---The automatic/ burst fire rules were insane:you'd resolve EACH bullet as a separate attack.  Highly recommend house ruling something similar to a subsequent edition.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. I'll be sure to check that out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version