« Reply #75 on: <12-01-11/1657:42> »
You can't win, you can't break even, you can't get out of the game.  :(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #76 on: <12-02-11/0240:29> »
In Denmark you can buy alcohol in stores when you are 16 and in bars when you are 18. It isn't difficult to get into a bar before that age though because the bouncers and the bartenders almost never check Id's.
Oh and we have real beer - ones that taste like beer and has percentages over 4  ;D

I visited Washington and NY. It was a great trip and people where very friendly but as a country you are really strange comparred to home  :o
When we visited the holocaust museum there where like 30 armed guards (and 10 guests) and they stoped just short of taking on the latex gloves in their inspection. I had to drink from my bottled water to prove it wasn't flameable. Thats just plain strange  ???. When I visist a museum here there is a smiling young woman that sells me the ticket and thats it.
Or when we visited a mall and wanted a group picture taken I asked a guy if he would help us and gave my camera to him. He looked at me very questionable but took the picture. Later I asked one of our american friends what has been the issue and he just laughed at me and said it was because I was white and I had asked a black man for help.
And it is funny when you call a building from the 1850's old and historic. Old is when you visit the stone markers from the first danish kings that dates back more than 1000 years  :P

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #77 on: <12-02-11/1127:17> »
Well, please forgive a few young nations their views of "historic" please.  We don't have 1000-years of history when it comes to buildings in North America for the most part.  :P

Union Station here in Winnipeg will be celebrating it's Centennial Anniversary next year.  My house just celebrated its.  (Still windproof.  Good bones, this house.).

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #78 on: <12-02-11/1127:46> »
In Denmark you can buy alcohol in stores when you are 16 and in bars when you are 18. It isn't difficult to get into a bar before that age though because the bouncers and the bartenders almost never check Id's.
Oh and we have real beer - ones that taste like beer and has percentages over 4  ;D

I visited Washington and NY. It was a great trip and people where very friendly but as a country you are really strange comparred to home  :o
When we visited the holocaust museum there where like 30 armed guards (and 10 guests) and they stoped just short of taking on the latex gloves in their inspection. I had to drink from my bottled water to prove it wasn't flameable. Thats just plain strange  ???. When I visist a museum here there is a smiling young woman that sells me the ticket and thats it.
Or when we visited a mall and wanted a group picture taken I asked a guy if he would help us and gave my camera to him. He looked at me very questionable but took the picture. Later I asked one of our american friends what has been the issue and he just laughed at me and said it was because I was white and I had asked a black man for help.
And it is funny when you call a building from the 1850's old and historic. Old is when you visit the stone markers from the first danish kings that dates back more than 1000 years  :P

Rasmus

Heh, well old for us isn't very old. If you remember we are actually a very young country, just over 200 years or so. Also yeah, we have different groups around. It wouldn't surprise me if you got some odd looks for taking a picture, if you had asked me I would have been surprised at first and then agreed to take the picture because it's not like it's harming me or anything. Done it for a few strangers actually. xD (You might take note it was in the past 100 years that African Americans were concidered equal. I really don't see why they shouldn't have in the first place but that's how history goes. There are still people who remember those days still alive though, so I dare say we still have racism)

The Museum part is pretty funny, I haven't been to the East coast side of USA but i know some of our more important ones would have security like that. If you came to one say in Washington state however, you'd get about the general same effect of someone selling you a ticket and you going on your way.

What I found curious is that I've been told numerous times if I'm visiting Euro to say i'm from Canada.... o.O' We hated that much? I know playing on Xbox live sometimes people from Europe can be outspoke about "Stupid Americans." Hope that's not the world view of us. T.T
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #79 on: <12-02-11/1133:30> »
What I found curious is that I've been told numerous times if I'm visiting Euro to say i'm from Canada.... o.O' We hated that much? I know playing on Xbox live sometimes people from Europe can be outspoke about "Stupid Americans." Hope that's not the world view of us. T.T
Hey, get your own reputation!  ;D

US Politics have not exactly been, shall we say, the most polite in a lot of ways.  Also, consider that most people from the US that travel abroad are Tourists ("Hey, where the hell is the snow?  I wanted to go skiing!"  "It's JUNE.  Keep driving North until you hit the Frost Line.  If the roads don't run out first." - True.  Fragging.  Story.) who are not the best ambassadors.

There's also the reputation of the US being "Rich", which means that prices can get jacked up in certain places (Including bribes).  For some reason, Canadians don't have that same reputation, so things are easier that way.

Finally, Holland.  Just don't ruin it for us there, OK?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #80 on: <12-02-11/1149:23> »
Ha, rich. I guess compared to some countries. XD I particularly don't feel rich but your told ever since elementary to be thankful you were born in the USA because your better off than a lot of other people. I'm thankful, but there's always things to be improved. :D

I'll be sure to steal your reputation xD.

As for tourist in canada wanting to go skiing... <.< there's enough snow in washington for that.... WDF!
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #81 on: <12-02-11/1159:13> »
Easier to drive North to Ontario, I guess.

But back to Seattle.  Where if it isn't raining, you still aren't seeing the sun!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #82 on: <12-02-11/1210:33> »
Easier to drive North to Ontario, I guess.

But back to Seattle.  Where if it isn't raining, you still aren't seeing the sun!

You've obviously never heard of "Washington Sunshine."

(That's our nickname for rain in case anyone wants to use that in their games and is not from the washington area. Not sure it's been mentioned in the fluff..... damn rain.... Always raining. :P)

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #83 on: <12-11-11/1536:10> »
I'm working on Google Map placements myself. 

Some important notes:
1. Thomas Vinters has a typo.  The NE location is the middle of downtown with NO place to put the vineyards under domes.  Considering that it has supposedly been around for a hundred years, this can't be.  Instead, assume SE and you'll see on google maps, very close to Woodridge Park and Sunset Hills Memorial Park.  The secret to the wine, and reason that they get support to not get bought out, is that the vineyards are growing on top of a cemetery. Thomas Wines is PEOPLE!  :o

2. Community Hospital in Auburn district isn't in Auburn/Algona it is in Enumclaw.  There's an existing one there at the address listed.

3. The downtown locations map seems to have some addresses shifted over a couple blocks.  The prison and library are both slightly off.  The Library is labeled as Dante's Inferno and The actual prison is labeled as Stoufers-Madison Hotel.  And a weird stretch of highway is labeled as the Metroplex Prison.

4. Although the specific address is not listed, Shiawase Atomics is noted to have built their nuke plant within sight of the rusting hulk of the old Trojan-Satsop plant that melted down and formed Glow city.  If you find the Glow City area, then find Soaring Eagle Regional Park to the north of that, you'll find a little chunk taken out of the west side.  In Satellite view, it looks a bit like two cooling towers.  Now switch back to terrain mode.  In my version, the original Trojan-Satsop plant was a little further south, on the same mountain.  When it melted down, the radiation, due to winds and rain, ran downhill to the south and west into a shallow valley, then drained into Beaver Lake to the south.  Those two 'cooling towers' are for the new (2028) Shiawase plant (it is also a fission plant, unlike the Olympia Fusion plant).  There's a small community adjacent which I've claimed as the plant proper. 

5. North of the Shiawase Atomics facility, there's a bit of a canyon or pass into a larger canyon that runs from Fall City to Redmond proper.  Check it out in Terrain mode.  I'm calling this the Abyss and it is used by gangers to fight wars as well as by smugglers to bring goods in from SSC under the radar.  Squatters of course know this and it isn't above them to take pot shots at T-birds in order to claim the valuable goods.

6. Renraku is noted in the flavor text to be a big influence in Auburn and Bellevue, but it doesn't have any specific sites listed.  Algona Community Hospital (Auburn) is noted to have Renraku Biotech buy up space around it.  The Flavor text also states that Renraku has built the largest computer manufacturing plant of its kind in 'Auburn' district.  I've combined those making the industrial district east of Algona the Renraku Commercial Park.  Furthermore, its subsidiary, Architectural Dynamics is the owner of almost every mall you've been in.  So, I've claimed from Route 18 down to Stewart Rd/8th St SE and from the bluffs west of 167 over to the railroad tracks at C St/East Valley Hwy as Renraku controlled turf.  The Renraku subsidiary, Najima Securities, has subcontracted the police work in Algona/Pacific, which means the whole area is guarded by what appears to be 'Mall Cops'.  Of course, what you don't see is the bribes to the Mafia and Yakuza to stay out as well as funding of gangers to act as supplemental security and everybody in Algona/Pacific is RFid tagged and constantly monitored.  The whole area is Big Brother/Stepford Wives on steroids.  Now, this was of course before the Arcology shutdown.  So this little Garden of Eden may have gotten some snakes in there since 2059.

tzizimine

• Omae
  • Yes, I misspelled tzitzimeme...
« Reply #84 on: <12-11-11/1608:29> »
3. The downtown locations map seems to have some addresses shifted over a couple blocks.  The prison and library are both slightly off.  The Library is labeled as Dante's Inferno and The actual prison is labeled as Stoufers-Madison Hotel.  And a weird stretch of highway is labeled as the Metroplex Prison.

Was this directed at my google maps? If so, could you provide screenshots?
"When in doubt, cause trouble. When in trouble, cause doubt."

My Cheat Sheet in pdf

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #85 on: <12-11-11/1629:18> »
Probably.  It isn't that you labeled them wrong, they are labeled wrong in the source books. 

Check your map at Dante's Inferno, then zoom in with labels on.  You can see that location is clearly the library. 

The Stoufers-Madison/Prison thing takes a little more research since it isn't labeled, but if you do a google map search of prisons near Seattle, you'll see it get marked.

You can assume that the old FASA editors were perfect and had no errors, in which case they tore down the old library and built it next door, or you can assume, as I do, that it was a typo from the beginning and nobody has caught it, because really, how many times have your runners gone to the library?

tzizimine

• Omae
  • Yes, I misspelled tzitzimeme...
« Reply #86 on: <12-11-11/1704:35> »
Ah... I figured some amount of construction would have occurred in the next 70 years or so
"When in doubt, cause trouble. When in trouble, cause doubt."

My Cheat Sheet in pdf

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #87 on: <12-11-11/1728:41> »
And the Prison in the middle of I-5?   ???
Do a street view of the existing library and tell me they just tore that down and moved it over a block.  That is a gorgeous building.

Should I point out the 40 minute and 15 minute ferry rides between downtown and Tacoma/Everett?

All I'm saying is that I find it easier to believe that an RPG company would rush a book to publication rather than double checking all the facts, than to have had buildings torn down and rebuilt a block away in 50 years (the library was there in 2050).

That being said, A LOT has changed. The night of rage in 2039 wiped out many buildings, but mostly along the docks in Tacoma.  Cougar Mountain was leveled.  Much of Bellevue was deforested.  Both the Arcology and Aztechnology's pyramid were built. I can see corporate change all over the place, but the library is a municipal thing so it would be hard pressed to pay for another building.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #88 on: <12-11-11/1736:57> »
Oops, I was referring to Frankie's linked map.  Yours doesn't have a special marker on the library.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #89 on: <12-11-11/1759:07> »
You can find the exact border of Stuck here: http://www.auburnwa.gov/Assets/IS/AuburnWA/Docs/Zoning+Atlas.pdf
That is a zoning map for Auburn.  Stuck is that little area of Potential Annexation Area south of 29th street and east of A street.

And here's a pic of my take on Renraku Biotech compound in Algona