NEWS

Counterspelling & Area Spells

• 6 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« on: <03-09-18/2354:06> »
Ok, so Counterspelling gives you bonus dice to the target of a spell's defense test.

It's implied (but occasionally contradicted) in the rules and clarified here on the forum that there is no defense test against Indirect Area Combat spells.

So what benefit if any is gained from assigning Counterspelling dice against them? 

I suppose the logical thing would be that Counterspelling hits subtract from the spellcaster's hits, but that's an assumption rather than an extrapolation from what I've been able to find in the rulebook.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-10-18/0412:15> »
There are three options. You've touched on at least two of them.

1. Indirect Area Combat Spells don't allow a defense test, therefore Counterspelling does not give any bonus.

2. Counterspelling can be attempted, you roll just the dice used up from your Spell Defense pool. Hits achieved effectively reduce hits on the spellcasting.

3. Spell Defense Dice can be applied to those that are hit by the spell, those dice apply to the resistance pool.

Personally, I like to go with Option 2, it makes things more dynamic and increases the chances that spells might deviate or do something more "interesting".

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #2 on: <03-10-18/0450:57> »
I would use option 2 as well. If the hits against the protected target is reduced to zero the target wouldn’t be affected by the spell at all, if not then reduce the force of the attack by Counterspelling hits
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-10-18/0543:36> »
Huh? Spell Defense doesn't reduce the Force of the incoming spell, only the net hits.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-10-18/0633:22> »
Personally I'm an option 3 kinda guy, just to reduce the number of rolls necessary, but also because it makes the most sense to me.

Let's say there are 3 people in the area of effect. One of them is protected by counterspelling, 2 are not. The protected one should have a defensive advantage over the other two vs magic, right?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #5 on: <03-10-18/0716:29> »
The reasons why I said force in case of Indirect AoE spell was because Force determines both DV and AP. It’s either that or add the Counterspelling successes to the soaking roll which works of course.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-10-18/1138:18> »
Definitely #2

Just because you don't normally have a defense test doesn't mean you aren't getting one in this specific case.

Case in point: A thrown grenade also doesn't get a defense test against - unless you are using the "right back at you" trick. Specific trumps general.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex