NEWS

Edge Boost Discounts

• 8 Replies

MercilessMing

• Omae
« on: <03-01-21/1827:09> »
The CRB allows us to apply multiple boosts of the same type to a single test.
Quote from: CRB
the same boost can be multiplied if the
player wishes (e.g., spending one Edge allows the
player to reroll one die; they could spend two to
reroll two dice).

How should Edge Boost discounts be counted in the case of using multiple boosts?

Example, the Bear Mentor spirit bonus:
Edge Boosts cost 1 less for tests to resist
damage (not including drain)
Changing a die roll of 4 to a 5 is a 2-edge boost.  If I use that on two dice, do I spend:
2 edge - The cost of each boost is reduced by 1.
3 edge - One discount applies to the total cost.
Looking at just this, I would say the discount is per boost and the cost is 2 edge.

What about 1-edge boosts?
Note that nothing can ever reduce the cost of and Edge Action to 0 Edge.
Rerolling 1 die costs 1 edge.  If I want to reroll 3 dice, how does my discount apply?  Does it cost:
3 edge - the cost of each boost cannot be reduced to 0 so no discount applies.
2 edge - One discount applies to the total cost.
1 edge - The cost of each boost is reduced to 0, but the total cost cannot be lower than 1.

I know how I would rule this, but I'm wondering if there's an official position yet.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-01-21/1906:12> »
It is not clear if the edge boost discount is for the whole edge point expenditure or if it is on each individual edge boost. I think we have a thread bout this somewhere already.

And IIRC we didn't really come to a conclusion.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-01-21/1919:08> »
Wow.  Okay, good to know.  My group is going to treat the total expenditure as the amount any discount and minimum cost applies to.  It seems like the only solution that can be applied consistently and simply.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-01-21/1924:21> »
As written Edge Actions can not cost less than 1, but Edge Boost can??
Does this mean that 1-Edge Boosts that normally cost 1 Edge are now free??
(except the "Use an Edge Action" 1-Edge Boost which explicitly can't cost less than 1)
Does this mean that you can multiply the same 1-Edge Boost that now cost 0 Edge and still pay zero Edge??

This is probably not the intent, but this is what a strict reading of the rules says ;-/

.....I think perhaps the intent here might be that either:
  • discounts (such as the Thunderbird discount) lower the Edge cost by 1 per Edge Expenditure (rather than Edge Boost as written) and that the cost per Edge Expenditure can not be lower than 1 (rather than Edge Action as written)
or
  • discounts lower the Edge cost by 1 per Edge Boost (as written) but the cost per Edge Boost can not be lower than 1 (rather than Edge Action as written)

Rerolling 3 dice (your own failed dice or your opponents successes) in the first case would cost (1*3)-1=2 Edge but would not be discounted at all and still cost (1-0)*3=3 Edge in the second case.

Adding +1 to 2 different dice (normally two multiples of the same 2-Edge boost) in the first case would cost (2*2)-1=3 Edge but only (2-1)*2=2 Edge in the second case.

Rerolling all failed dice (normally a 4-Edge boost) in the first case would cost (4*1)-1=3 Edge and also (4-1)*1=3 Edge in the second case.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-02-21/0436:06> »
Wow.  Okay, good to know.  My group is going to treat the total expenditure as the amount any discount and minimum cost applies to.  It seems like the only solution that can be applied consistently and simply.

That´s my handling as well. Seems to make the most sense, so it´s probably not RAI  ::)

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-02-21/0928:45> »
Standard mathematical order of operations is to multiply then add.

You want to do 2 edge boosts that cost 1 edge each, and you have a bonus that reduces the cost by 1?

2 x 1 - 1 = 1.  Not 0.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <03-02-21/0943:49> »
I'm all for 'apply the discount after the multiplication', so it's not useless on 1-edge-per-benefit costs.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-02-21/1046:07> »
Standard mathematical order of operations is to multiply then add.

You want to do 2 edge boosts that cost 1 edge each, and you have a bonus that reduces the cost by 1?

2 x 1 - 1 = 1.  Not 0.

This.  IMO, discounts should be applied to the total.  This means stacking multiple discounts becomes useful.  Say like Thunderbird's discount along with an Adept Way.

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <03-02-21/1352:28> »
Compared to others that have already posted, I do not consider myself an expert. 

My interpretation:
CRB p44: Characters can only have one expenditure of Edge per action.

CRB p45 MM Original Quote: but the same boost can be multiplied if the player wishes (e.g., spending one Edge allows the player to reroll one die; they could spend two to reroll two dice).

CRB p46: Edge is spent through Edge Boosts, some of which allow special Edge Actions. Boosts range in cost from 1 to 5 Edge

CRB 46: Edge Action can never be reduced to 0 (Xenon point)

From MM:
Changing a die roll of 4 to a 5 is a 2-edge boost.  If I use that on two dice.

SL Opinion:
Cost of Edge Boost x Qty
((2 original cost) –(1 discount)) x 2 (How many times you want to do it) = 2

From MM:
Rerolling 1 die costs 1 edge.  If I want to reroll 3 dice, how does my discount apply?

SL Opinion:
((1 original cost) – (1 discount)) = 0
  Per Xenon’s point and on (CRB p46) you can’t do it.

That means you would have to do it as 1 X 3 = 3

I don’t know who wrote this section, but now that I have thought it through, maybe the “no 0 edge actions” was the catch-all to stop people from abusing low-edge options & discounts? 

(Don’t throw stuff at me, just curious)

I do believe RAW, the Thunder Bird / Adept Way combo would let you get multiple 3 Edge Boost for 1 Edge apiece.    Given time or new books sure someone will figure out a way to get 4 Edge Boost for 1 point of edge as well. 

Personally, I think removing from the total is a better idea.

I know that is long-winded for me, but after I started going down the rabbit hole I couldn’t stop. 

Regards,
SL
Si vis pacem, para bellum