NEWS

[SR] Hero Lab

• 80 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #60 on: <06-25-19/0055:35> »
HLO is neither "Android" or iOS...pretty sure it's simply based on HTML coding which lets it be compatible with any browser on any system.
Works for me! :P
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #61 on: <06-25-19/0105:31> »
I can’t see any way that online could be better.

LWD is giving up control of the user interface to whatever browser the end user has. While they can try to control it the browser manages how the cod gets implemented. Often modern CSS and HTML needs numerous adjustments to get a browser to even display the page.

LWD is giving up user experience to extremely random internet connections and speeds. Yes they do the same to platform, processor, and RAM but at least you can set standards.

LWD is giving up control of the technology. I would hope they had learned with Realm Works. They wrote all their code to work on a code base written by another company who then upgraded and stoped support for several things that RW required. The issue put LWD in a serious hole and there is no guarantee that the rug won’t be pulled out from under them again.

In the USA it is believed that over a third of the population has no high speed connection within 25 miles of them (the communications companies claim less than 10% while some research companies are claiming as high as 50%). By placing your product as online only you cut the potential number of customers and will, in the long run, make far less profit.

The customer is giving all control of THEIR data. My characters, my story lines, my plot hooks are mine to control and use. By placing them online only I am now a hostage of some company. I can hope that they won’t sell my ideas to someone else. I can hope they don’t hold my data hostage for who knows what. Then, what happens when they go out of business

An online system is an incomplete product. You are selling me the ability to do something provided I connect to your infrastructure and use you to facilitate and complete the process. They are trying to sell a product as if it were a service. Providing me with internet access is a service, offering me access to media for viewing but not ownership is a service, offering me something that is consumed is a service. A database to design and store character and story data is not a service, it is a product and I should be able to use it as a complete system after my transaction with the company.

Singularity

• Chummer
« Reply #62 on: <06-25-19/0559:02> »
They are basically rebuilding everything they did with Hero Lab Classic, but in web code now, so it's got a lot of growing pains. I wouldn't expect to see Sixth World until October at the VERY earliest, especially since they are still working out bugs with Pathfinder/Starfinder from the past year. The other problem I have with it, is there's currently no way to make custom outside of the rules in the system (i.e., building a new class, race, etc.). So far, WizBro's beating them on the Online character tools with D&D Beyond.

That might be why I saw some of the issues I experienced, then. I will more than likely grab it once it comes out, since they're transitioning to online only now, I'm just a bit frustrated that now that I finally figured out how to do everything with the old program, I have a new one to learn!  :(

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #63 on: <06-25-19/0943:03> »
I think my biggest worry about HLO isn’t LWD or their vision, but the resources they have in place to deliver on that vision. The two biggest issues for me are offline support and the ability to incorporate custom data. I believe that they will get there, just don’t know when.

steelybran

• Newb
« Reply #64 on: <08-14-19/1132:10> »
At the end of the day, exactly what is the total cost for Shadowrun 5th Ed and all the add-ons in Hero Lab?  Can't find the add-on pricing on their site without already owning a license.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #65 on: <08-14-19/1333:03> »
I'll try to logon later and check it out - not at my licensed computer....  :D

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #66 on: <08-14-19/1536:12> »
LOL, I'd love to be able to tell you... But I've already purchased all the data packages, so it just says "Owned" instead of prices. I do know that the default cost for Hero Lab is $34.99 to activate, then you can go to Purchase Data Packages (through the app, or license management on the site), and you'll see all they have available, including bundled packages at discounted prices.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #67 on: <08-14-19/1929:39> »
Yeah - LOL - mine is the same. If you by the Core, there is a bundle on sale, that includes:

(Requires Shadowrun 5th Edition Core) 25% off
Includes Run & Gun, Street Grimoire, Run Faster, Chrome Flesh, Data Trails, Rigger 5.0

There are four other bundles - I'm thinking $20 - $35 each? Depending what books are in - Street Lethal is $12.99. So it is cheaper to go bundles.

Guessing there will be some more sales when 6th goes live, but hard to say.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #68 on: <08-14-19/1935:59> »
Okay - ran through my receipts and I've paid probably $150 or so all toll, but I have everything but street lethal, which I will be remedying. Some of the smaller bundles were only $12.99. I also bought a second license for my partner, so were heavily invested in SR!  ;D

You could get by with a lot less unless your a completionist....

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #69 on: <08-14-19/2152:29> »
Yeah, hard for me to break it out since I've got secondary licenses and a ton of Pathfinder purchases as well.

steelybran

• Newb
« Reply #70 on: <08-23-19/1033:41> »
I appreciate it - probably picking it up tonight to play around in, and get my current character uploaded into it as well.

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #71 on: <08-23-19/1629:49> »
Just remember that HL Classic does SR5 but will never be updated to support SR6. If you want support for SR6 you will need to subscribe to HL Online and pay monthly fees

steelybran

• Newb
« Reply #72 on: <08-26-19/1603:58> »
I got it for 5E, and already plugged my existing character and started making new characters with it.

Not really interested in 6E.  Got the beginner box and was underwhelmed by it TBH.

Horsemen

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #73 on: <08-27-19/0327:11> »
Any word on when the last few products including the 5e version off No Future will be added for SR5e in Classic?
Agent #191 Catalyst Demo Team

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #74 on: <08-27-19/0728:17> »
Not sure, but you may be able to get an answer on the Hero Lab Forums.