NEWS

Mystic Adept Magic attribute

• 17 Replies

LukeZ

• Newb
« on: <08-28-19/1301:04> »
A Mystic Adept with Magic 6, how many Power points and how may Free Spells will have?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-28-19/1309:24> »
It depends.  Mystic Adepts gain power points and spells based only on their Magic Attribute gained through the priority selection.

For example, if you picked Magic A, you'll have 4 Magic to "allocate".  You can do 2 Magic towards power points and 2 Magic towards spells, or etc.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

LukeZ

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-28-19/1319:50> »
And how they can gain more Power Points?

Adepts too are limited to the 4 starting points (A), or not? The relevant text seems to differ in two pages.

(Page 67)
Adepts have a pool of points equal to their Magic (as listed in the Priority table, before any adjustments) that they use to purchase adept powers.

(Page 157)
Whenever adept characters gain a point of Magic, they also gain a power point.
This means that an adept character who starts with a Magic rating of 4 also starts with 4 power points.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-28-19/1321:31> »
Unless there is a change, mystic adepts gain power points from initiation only following chargen.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

LukeZ

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-28-19/1325:18> »
Unless there is a change, mystic adepts gain power points from initiation only following chargen.

Is this true for Adepts too?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-28-19/1328:30> »
Yes, Adepts and Mystic Adepts do have different rules.  Despite having "Adept" in the name, Mystic Adepts are completely distinct from Adepts from a rules point of view.  (the important thing here is if a rule says something about "adepts", it's not also true for "mystic adepts")

Now in the case of Adepts, yes unfortunately chargen is harsh on them for Power Points. Explicitly, they also only get PPs based on Magic priority and don't gain any if you rase your magic attribute during chargen.

However, per pg 156, Adepts (again, but not mystic adepts) gain a PP whenever they gain a point in Magic Attribute.

Unfortunately, specific trumps general and the chargen rule prohibits PP gain even though pg 156 says they otherwise would have gotten more PPs.

Until such time this is errata'd, my recommendation is when making an adept, just save a whole bunch of karma (chargen rules don't make you spend all of it) and pay to increase your Magic Attribute with karma AFTER chargen.  Yes it sucks because you can't spend Special Attribute Points to push your magic to 6 this way.   But you avoid the trap of going to 6, and then being unable to increase your Magic any further without initiation.

RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-28-19/1400:42> »

Until such time this is errata'd, my recommendation is when making an adept, just save a whole bunch of karma (chargen rules don't make you spend all of it) and pay to increase your Magic Attribute with karma AFTER chargen. 

I took that to mean you couldn't carry any Karma over into play.  Nuyen, up to 5,000, was the only thing that was mentioned. 

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-28-19/1606:45> »
During chargen a physical adept get unadjusted magic (from Magic or Resonance) power points.

Post chargen a physcial adept get 1 power point each time magic increase, 1 power point each time they select the power point metamagic during initiation and 1 power point for each 8 karma spend on binding qi focus.

During chargen a mystic adept get unadjusted magic (from Magic or Resonance) power points (but can also trade one power point for 2 spells or rituals).

Post chargen a mystic adept get 1 power point each time they select the power point metamagic during initiation and 1 power point for each 8 karma spend on binding qi focus.

sigfriedmcwild

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <08-28-19/2013:07> »
I would point out that the archetype adept is either not rules legal, or adepts do get power points for their full magic score at chargen.

Combat Sense 2, Critical Strike 2, Improved Reflexes 2, Killing Hands = 5.5 power points
An adept could never get more than 4 from priorities (and based on his other stats, this adept was built with priority B in magic so 3 starting power points)

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-28-19/2016:04> »
I would point out that the archetype adept is either not rules legal, or adepts do get power points for their full magic score at chargen.

Combat Sense 2, Critical Strike 2, Improved Reflexes 2, Killing Hands = 5.5 power points
An adept could never get more than 4 from priorities (and based on his other stats, this adept was built with priority B in magic so 3 starting power points)

The errata team is aware of this.

Of possible interest: 5.5 is a legal expenditure of Power Points, assuming you had 6 to spend to begin with.  Per pg 156 you don't have to spend your Power Points immediately.  Therefore the adept pregen is presumably holding half a power point that's still available.  Again, assuming he had 6 to begin with.

sigfriedmcwild

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <08-28-19/2018:02> »
Yes, the crux of the issue is that according to chargen and adept cannot start the game with more than 4, not that not all the points have been spent.

If the intent is truly to make adepts not get power points from adjustment points during character creation, the rules in the magic chapter should callback to this (and character creation should tell adepts to never ever spend adjustment points on magic, lest they severely break their character)
« Last Edit: <08-28-19/2020:43> by sigfriedmcwild »

PatrolDeer

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <09-19-19/1820:18> »
Yes, Adepts and Mystic Adepts do have different rules.  Despite having "Adept" in the name, Mystic Adepts are completely distinct from Adepts from a rules point of view.  (the important thing here is if a rule says something about "adepts", it's not also true for "mystic adepts")

However, per pg 156, Adepts (again, but not mystic adepts) gain a PP whenever they gain a point in Magic Attribute.

Until such time this is errata'd, my recommendation is when making an adept, just save a whole bunch of karma (chargen rules don't make you spend all of it) and pay to increase your Magic Attribute with karma AFTER chargen.  Yes it sucks because you can't spend Special Attribute Points to push your magic to 6 this way.   But you avoid the trap of going to 6, and then being unable to increase your Magic any further without initiation.

Wow!

So a Mystic adept can't hold on to unused power point as an Adept? I (as a GM) am working on a character, together with my player. We are both new to the system, we never played Shadowrun before. The concept behind this character is an adept / enchanter, played as a streetsamurai who focuses on cold weapons and archery. Idea was using ZenBudhism philosophy to be the force and guidance behind Awakening, distrust towards modern technology, codex and traditions vs the corporate mayhem and so on.

We thought that the rule of having a power point but not using right away is valid also for Mystic Adepts.
There are couple of things I would kindly ask anybody to clarify, as we would like to make this character in a correct "legal" way.

Page 158. At character creation, mystic adepts divide their Magic rating between spells and power points.They get 1 power point for each point of Magic dedicated to the adept side, and spells equal to the amount of Magic dedicated to being a mage x 2.- this is considered only at character creation. There is no cap for learning new spells/formulae in game as a Mystic adept, or is it ?

Starting with Magic rating 1, priority D, the character can acquire 1 adept power for 0.5 pp and gains one formulae as a dedicated enchanter (following rules from page 66)
Than the character puts his special attribute points into Magic. The game starts and if the rule for adepts and floating points works for mystic adepts as well, the character gets x (Special attribute points invested to Magic) pp without splitting the points - my logic behind this is that floating power points were acquired at char gen but not spent. P.156 Whenever adept characters gain a point of Magic, they also gain a power point.
In another thread I found an argument that Physical damage is not the same as physical damage. I am not sure if it wasn't made by senior Stainless Steel Devil Rat himself. So Adept and Mystic adept are completely different, but adept characters refers only to Adepts. (Pardon me if I am mistaken, no offence meant, however I sure am confused at this point)

This is not written in order to hate on anybody, or flaming developers. Just an expression that certain role play builds are in my opinion punished while other more power player options are welcomed. That is a bit sad from a new player and new gm perspective.

Edit-Thanks to Xenon I am now aware of binding Qi as a potential way forward, I have to do some more exploration on that matter.
« Last Edit: <09-19-19/1832:00> by PatrolDeer »

sigfriedmcwild

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <09-19-19/1841:15> »
Your table, you can run things however you want.

But... (there's always a but)

p156 talks about GAINING points of magic, it is entirely up for debate if points bought during chargen with adjustment points are GAINED. If you chose to go with that reading, you may as well let the adept get the power points during character creation, there is no real functional difference.

You are correct that there are no rules for mystic adepts to gain more power points right now. I think the un errataed rulebook mentions buying power points for 5 karma, but I only have the pdf with the errata baked in so I can't confirm that.

Mystic adepts have swung between being utterly useless to the one true way to do magic across the editions because it's really hard to make them not strictly superior to adepts and magicians without making them useless. Given the current state of SR6 we can't really tell were they are intended to sit.

My personal take would be to compute spell points and power points at character creation based on the adjusted magic score (not the value from priority) and make magic just a priority C (or B) pick. Mystic Adepts would be allowed to buy extra power points after character creation at a rate of 5 or 10 karma per point, up to a maximum of their magic

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <09-19-19/1912:11> »
So a Mystic adept can't hold on to unused power point as an Adept?
Sure they can.

If you for example prioritize magic or resonance then you don't have to spend the power points directly.

If you for example initiate and pick power point rather than another metamagic then you don't have to spend the power point directly.

Not sure why you would ever want to not spend unused power points, but the possibility is there for both mystic adepts and non-mystic adepts...

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <09-19-19/1925:01> »
Maybe being able to hold onto a PP without spending it is a bit of future proofing against powers that could potentially cost more than 1.0 PPs.