NEWS

Is there an SR5 in the works?

• 244 Replies

fovar

• Newb
« Reply #180 on: <04-06-12/1958:47> »
Just wondering...

When SR5 will come out (not if), how will Initiative passes will be handled? Will it be removed or switched to anything else? If removed, will it hurt the fanbase? Because, yes, a battle dragging for too long really makes it dangerous, but four sets of action in 3 seconds makes it quite unrealistic.

DnD 3.5 was never played as a tabletop game by my group: we used figures once and then like we do in many other RPG because it IS simpler to picture. Not in every single encounter but when it does matter. Of course our DMs were cooperative, it didn't take much to flank and such.

In 4th Edition it is mandatory as even a fighter can make an opponent move away from an ally so he can shoot/cast. It is a tabletop strategy game when it comes to encounters... and it allows for good roleplaying too. Especially when your DM is cooperative and allows automatic successes when you're awesome in a social skill challenge.

I don't see what is wrong for a RPG to ressemble a tabletop game: that is where they come from. That would be like blaming them for ressembling novels or movies or MMORPGs. Your role is to make an entertaining evening. That is all. You've got your preferences, it's alright.

I do agree that the core mechanics of the game should NEVER change: this alleniate the fanbase and is never good for an RPG: But going from THAC0 to a 3.5 To Hit is not a major change: it is just a simplification that streamlined things.

In that way, I look forward to SR5, in a hope that a character augmented in some other way that Reflexes can really hold it up, while simplifying the game. No small task.

- Fovar

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #181 on: <04-06-12/2023:26> »
if they really wanna troll, they'll go back to SR3-System . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #182 on: <04-07-12/0147:10> »
if they really wanna troll, they'll go back to SR3-System . .

The SR4 system was a departure from the SR1-3 system.  There's no trolling in that.
"More human than human" is our motto.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Crash_00

« Reply #183 on: <04-07-12/1056:03> »
I actually liked SR3 better. I just didn't like teaching people SR3. It was a horribly complicated thing to learn the first time.

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #184 on: <04-11-12/1137:36> »
I actually liked SR3 better. I just didn't like teaching people SR3. It was a horribly complicated thing to learn the first time.

Agreed. I don't think anyone in my SR3 group wanted to play a Decker due to how complicated it was. Plus the GM kinda groaned the one time we made any mention of getting a Decker to help on a run.
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #185 on: <04-12-12/0147:06> »

Agreed. I don't think anyone in my SR3 group wanted to play a Decker due to how complicated it was. Plus the GM kinda groaned the one time we made any mention of getting a Decker to help on a run.

SR3 was remarkably simplified from SR2...I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to play a Decker...And, since the GM would have
essentially been NPCing the Decker in that instance..he could have just made a couple abstracted rolls...

Crash_00

« Reply #186 on: <04-12-12/1137:05> »
I think it was the two bazillion rolls to do just about anything on the matrix combined with the completely different time passages that made combat a real pain in the ass if the decker was VR decking at the same time as the rest of the team was in physical combat.

Decking is one of the things that I think SR4 did a good job with, but I hate how they slapped deckers and riggers together. I really liked the full blown VCR feel of riggers.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #187 on: <04-12-12/1202:17> »
I lik the uniqueness of riggers, but couldn't stand the metaphor used in the books to depict jumping into a vehicle.

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #188 on: <04-12-12/1451:00> »
?
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #189 on: <04-12-12/1527:03> »
”The tail rotor was damaged, which I felt as a pain in my ankle and lower leg.”

No. Just, no.

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #190 on: <04-12-12/1543:23> »
Ah that.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #191 on: <04-12-12/1645:18> »
What's wrong with that? The majority of the digital world is metaphor. How one person translates the input from their drone 'body' may be completely different from how another person experiences it. If you don't like that metaphor, slap a different reality filter on, and go.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #192 on: <04-12-12/1654:34> »
That's the only way it worked in SR2-3, and it's ridiculous.

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #193 on: <04-13-12/0851:40> »
reality filters allowed me to cause some very messed up runs, hence i still like them.

mission: save the group of meta children from the humanis prior to the rally.
complication: the deck is broken, decker must use immediately available replacement, an elementary school principals personal deck, complete with really fucked up reality filter.
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #194 on: <04-13-12/1240:31> »
well, Reality filter...and even Personalisation, seems to be quite underpowered to cause really big problem to hacker in SRA