NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #690 on: <09-27-13/0523:07> »
Presumably, the decker would have to have access to the pan of each member for this to work. Thoughts?
Are you even allowed to slave a PAN to another device? Wouldn't you have to slave it all to the Decker without an intermediate Master?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Lobo

• Chummer
« Reply #691 on: <09-27-13/0926:10> »
Presumably, the decker would have to have access to the pan of each member for this to work. Thoughts?
Are you even allowed to slave a PAN to another device? Wouldn't you have to slave it all to the Decker without an intermediate Master?

It would seem logical that you could not slave a PAN to a device - otherwise you could have an almost limitless number of devices slaved to your PAN - a rating 6 commlink can slave 18 devices.  If each of those device "slots" could be a commlink with its own 18 devices...

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #692 on: <09-27-13/1055:34> »
Running signal scrub on a cyberdeck give the decker 2 points of noise reduction (when for example performing matrix actions jacked in on the cyberdeck). It does not give your team mate noise reduction. Why would it?

Running data jack wireless give the user 1 point of noise reduction. It does not give his team mate noise reduction. Why would it?

Aaron

« Reply #693 on: <09-27-13/1123:14> »
Question: If two casters both declare spell defense to protect their team, would both of their Counterspelling skill ratings apply to each test resisting a spell?

Yes, but remember it's a resource that doesn't refresh until the end of the Combat Turn.

Q: Does Noise Reduction (such as that offered by a wireless Datajack) affect the Noise Rating (not including distance) that prevents wireless functionality in gear with a device rating?

Yep.

Interesting. Does that mean that a decker can provide noise reduction for his team using the Scrub (i think that's the NR one) program? How else does one form of Noise Reduction work, but not another? Presumably, the decker would have to have access to the pan of each member for this to work. Thoughts?

No, the noise reduction is only available to the person(a) using it.

Aaron

« Reply #694 on: <09-27-13/1125:03> »

No. Yes.

Also, everybody please remember to move discussions to another thread, starting one if necessary. That makes it a lot easier for me to find and answer questions.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #695 on: <09-28-13/1947:07> »
Considering repairing Matrix Damage now takes a Hardware + Logic Extended Test, how does one go about repairing Matrix Damage for Cyberware, especially the Commlink and Cyberdeck Headware Augmentations? Can someone with this augmentation make the test on themselves, or would it require surgery?

If its the latter, having a Deck in your head is a complete waste of money and essence if you have to get your street doc to crack your skull open every time you botch an Attack action or get into Cybercombat.

On a similar vein, considering bricking is described as explosive failure of the device, complete with spark and fire, what happens to a piece of cyberware that gets bricked inside the body? Does it deal damage to the owner?
« Last Edit: <09-28-13/1949:18> by Ryo »

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #696 on: <09-28-13/2212:14> »
Q. If a Logic 3+ character is learning 2 new skills (and doing nothing else during that downtime) at rating 2 each, how long does it take?

Improving a skill Rating 1–4 is New Rating x 1 day. If you are only Learning Skills in downtime you may learn Logic/2 (round up) Skills at the same time. Does this mean it takes 2 days (2x1 Day) getting two skills in one time span, 4 days (2x1 day + 2x1 day) learning both in the same downtime but one after another or 6 days ((1x1 day + 2x2 days) + (((1x1 day + 2x2 days)) learning both in increments?

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #697 on: <09-29-13/1153:31> »
I was just for s#ts and giggles making a terra first terrorist flesh rigger :o
A mystic adepts with a high handle animal skill and mob mind and control action spells, a bunch of RFID sensor tags and cockroaches/rats/pidgeons/chihuahuas sounded like fun. But several questions arose during his birth.

1. the range of control action is LOS, I presume its only when casting the spell, and that its perfectly viable for the caster to move his "puppet" out of LOS of sight later, as long as he sustains the spell, right? and then using either clairvoyance or RFID sensor tags to navigate with.

2. What happens when the resist roll (logic+will) is equal to or lower than the force of the spell? As the "puppet", if it so chose, must make the resist roll with the spell force as a penalty, and ends up with zero dices? is it/he then under the casters control as long as he sustains it, with no means to break free?

3. when using the control action spell, the caster uses his own skills, but does he use the "puppets" physical attributes and limits? and his own metal attributes?

4. what kind of modifers are on control action? say, the caster, with 1 wound modifer penalty, decides to control his troll buddy( because the troll doesnt have sneaking, but the
caster does) in order to get his friend close to the enemy forces unseen, what would the dice pool be for that if the troll also had a -1 wound modifier? -1 or -2?

5. can you cast control thoughts/actions on critters?

6. what would happen if the troll was unconscious, could I still control his body? and if yes, could he roll to resist it?

Aaron

« Reply #698 on: <09-29-13/1200:02> »
Considering repairing Matrix Damage now takes a Hardware + Logic Extended Test, how does one go about repairing Matrix Damage for Cyberware, especially the Commlink and Cyberdeck Headware Augmentations? Can someone with this augmentation make the test on themselves, or would it require surgery?

All the user-serviceable parts of cyberware with wireless bonuses are accessible without surgery.

On a similar vein, considering bricking is described as explosive failure of the device, complete with spark and fire, what happens to a piece of cyberware that gets bricked inside the body? Does it deal damage to the owner?

It's quite uncomfortable, but not enough to take out a box on the Condition Monitor.

Q. If a Logic 3+ character is learning 2 new skills (and doing nothing else during that downtime) at rating 2 each, how long does it take?

A total of three days. Each skill takes one day per rating to complete training, and your Logic allows for two skills "in the pipe" at a time. On Day 1 you learn the two skills and improve them to Rating 1, then spend Days 2 and 3 to bring them both up to 2.

Aaron

« Reply #699 on: <09-29-13/1218:22> »
I was just for s#ts and giggles making a terra first terrorist flesh rigger :o
A mystic adepts with a high handle animal skill and mob mind and control action spells, a bunch of RFID sensor tags and cockroaches/rats/pidgeons/chihuahuas sounded like fun. But several questions arose during his birth.

1. the range of control action is LOS, I presume its only when casting the spell, and that its perfectly viable for the caster to move his "puppet" out of LOS of sight later, as long as he sustains the spell, right? and then using either clairvoyance or RFID sensor tags to navigate with.

Once the spell is on the target, you can sustain the spell even when the target is out of your line of sight. Of course, with a spell like Mob Mind and a navigation system like a bunch of RFID tags, you're pretty obvious in both astral space and in the Matrix.

2. What happens when the resist roll (logic+will) is equal to or lower than the force of the spell? As the "puppet", if it so chose, must make the resist roll with the spell force as a penalty, and ends up with zero dices? is it/he then under the casters control as long as he sustains it, with no means to break free?

Without Edge (or help), the target is completely defenseless against the spell if its LOG + WIL is equal to or less than the Force of the spell.

3. when using the control action spell, the caster uses his own skills, but does he use the "puppets" physical attributes and limits? and his own metal attributes?

I believe you'd use the target's Attribute, because ultimately it's the target performing the action, you're just directing the target yourself.

4. what kind of modifers are on control action? say, the caster, with 1 wound modifer penalty, decides to control his troll buddy( because the troll doesnt have sneaking, but the
caster does) in order to get his friend close to the enemy forces unseen, what would the dice pool be for that if the troll also had a -1 wound modifier? -1 or -2?

You're doing the controlling, so your Wound Modifier counts. Your target is performing the action, so her Wound Modifier also counts.

5. can you cast control thoughts/actions on critters?

Yep.

6. what would happen if the troll was unconscious, could I still control his body? and if yes, could he roll to resist it?

Nope. Sleeping troll is sleeping, so his muscles are relaxed.

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #700 on: <09-29-13/2112:52> »
Has there been any word on how many programs an RCC can run?

Thanks!
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #701 on: <09-29-13/2118:02> »
I recall DR but cannot remember who said it when so here's hoping someone else can provide a link.

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #702 on: <09-29-13/2136:28> »
Yeah DR is what decks get as well. I just didn't want to make any assumptions in case decks were supposed to be much better than RCCs in that department
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #703 on: <09-30-13/0222:05> »
Yeah DR is what decks get as well. I just didn't want to make any assumptions in case decks were supposed to be much better than RCCs in that department
Deckes actually have a special rating for that - that currently just happen to be the same as device rating
(odds are you can upgrade that rating without upgrading the device rating and that there will be other decks two different ratings).

I have personally not seen anyone confirm nor deny that they can run device rating number of cyberprograms.
If this is true, then I would too like a link ;)

The book explicit state Drones (and cyberdecks) can run cyberprograms and how many they can run.
Drones can load a total device rating / 2 cyberprograms and autosoft (for a drone cyberprograms and autosoft share the same "RAM")

The only place this is even mention that RCC can run cyberprograms is a red box on p.269...

Sharing talk about autosofts (but maybe they mean cyberprograms as well)
- In that case RCC would have up to device rating active cyberprograms (at the cost of noise reduction and autosoft programs).

Maybe RCC can load up to total device rating cyberprograms and autosofts (so they, like drones, share the same "RAM").

...or maybe they can load up to a total of device rating cyberprograms (and then a number equal to sharing rating autosofts on top of that).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #704 on: <09-30-13/0657:16> »
It's not entirely clear, one point talks about Sharing Autosofts and no running autosofts, another (in the Autosofts section) talks about programs but given how this is in the section about Autosoft programs, it might be a simple slip.

I would assume myself an RCC can run its DR in Cyberprograms+Autosofts combined, and can then share part of its Autosofts with drones (but it cannot share Cyberprograms). Since Cyberprograms, under this assumption, cannot be shared (Drones and RCCs can both run Autosofts and Cyberprograms but only Autosofts are explicitly stated as sharable), and the Sharing limitation only mentions not running Autosofts, the Drone can run multiple Cyberprograms and then share its Autosofts from the RCC. However, this is an assumption that requires errata to confirm or deny.

(Interesting detail: Virtual Machine gives you two Program slots, not Cyberprogram slots. Autosofts are programs, so running VM on a drone lets you run 3 Autosofts instead of 2.)