NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #600 on: <09-13-13/2016:54> »
The rules don't differential between things that are just "bonuses" for being wireless and things that are "basic wireless functions".  They are both considered bonuses that only work when the device is fully functional.
I think they do differentiate to some degree, actually:
Quote from: Page 421
When an item has additional functionality when connected to the Matrix, it’s described under the “Wireless” entry in the item’s description. This functionality only applies when the device has access to the Matrix, which is most of the time unless your gamemaster says otherwise, like if you’ve entered a wireless static zone. If there is a Noise Rating from a situation that is greater than the item’s Device Rating, not including distance, the item temporarily loses its wireless functionality (see Noise, p. 230).
The only RFID tags with a Wireless entry are Sensor tags.

Aaron

« Reply #601 on: <09-14-13/0913:21> »
No, because broadcast functionality is not a wireless bonus. Only wireless bonuses are affected by noise, not basic functionality. For example, you can still browse the Matrix and send messages, even in that nightmare Rating 11 noise you've got in the previous question. However, your grenade's wireless trigger wouldn't work.
I have been vastly misunderstanding noise then, thank you. I still do not get how they hinder riggers and deckers then...

Riggers and deckers still have Matrix actions to perform, and noise hinders them.

In terms of browsing he Matrix, with the -11 Data Search Dice Pool, surely I cannot?

I did say browse, not search. You can still visit the Dante's Inferno host, you just would have a hard time finding your friends in the crowd. I point out that you're browsing these words as you read them, but you didn't search for them (well, probably not).

Could you tell me which section you're referring to?
p.207
Make a Body + Willpower (1 hour) Extended Test
Make a Body x 2 (1 day) Extended Test

No mention of a threshold you need to keep rolling until you reach

the [second] example on p.207
He keeps making the same roll each hour with his 6 dice and gets...
Full pool each roll with no penalty or delay as if the extended test restart each time after a success.

I do see that, but I don't see where it says the threshold for the Extended Test is zero.

The rules don't differential between things that are just "bonuses" for being wireless and things that are "basic wireless functions".  They are both considered bonuses that only work when the device is fully functional.

Actually, the rules do differentiate between wireless bonuses and basic functionality on page 421.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #602 on: <09-14-13/0938:36> »
Actually, the rules do differentiate between wireless bonuses and basic functionality on page 421.

I...  Really don't want to keep arguing this, but, I assume you're talking about this section? I'll bold for my own emphasis.

When an item has additional functionality when connected to the Matrix, it’s described under the “Wireless” entry  in  the  item’s  description.  This functionality  only applies when the device has access to the Matrix, which is most of the time unless your gamemaster says otherwise,  like  if  you’ve  entered  a  wireless  static  zone.  If there is a Noise Rating from a situation that is greater than  the  item’s  Device  Rating,  not  including  distance, the item temporarily loses its wireless functionality (see Noise, p. 230).

So what you're saying is, since commlinks and other devices (like drones) don't specifically have a "wireless" section, it's assumed that they can't lose any functionality from noise?  This is a good thing for my augmented technomancer...  I just wanna make sure I finally have this understood.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Aaron

« Reply #603 on: <09-14-13/1204:09> »

I...  Really don't want to keep arguing this, but, I assume you're talking about this section? I'll bold for my own emphasis.

When an item has additional functionality when connected to the Matrix, it’s described under the “Wireless” entry  in  the  item’s  description.  This functionality  only applies when the device has access to the Matrix, which is most of the time unless your gamemaster says otherwise,  like  if  you’ve  entered  a  wireless  static  zone.  If there is a Noise Rating from a situation that is greater than  the  item’s  Device  Rating,  not  including  distance, the item temporarily loses its wireless functionality (see Noise, p. 230).

So what you're saying is, since commlinks and other devices (like drones) don't specifically have a "wireless" section, it's assumed that they can't lose any functionality from noise?  This is a good thing for my augmented technomancer...  I just wanna make sure I finally have this understood.

Yes, the "wireless functionality" mentioned in the last sentence you quoted from the book refers to the additional functionality given by the wireless benefit listed with the gear.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #604 on: <09-14-13/1300:15> »
Q Do Wired Reflexes 1 add +1d6 Initiative Dice even if you are using astral projecting, cold-sim VR or hot-sim VR (to a maximum of total 5d6 Initiative Dice)?

I do see that, but I don't see where it says the threshold for the Extended Test is zero.
Extended tests are used to make repeated rolls and then accumulate the hits you made in each roll until you reach the threshold (success). Each successive roll on an Extended test, players should remove one die from their dice pool. Eventually they'll have no dice left, and the test will be over (fail).

Since there is no listed threshold I assume you don't make repeated rolls to accumulate the hits and instead [always] restart the test (no removal of dice on successive rolls) after just one roll with a full pool and no delay or penalty. Or if lack of listed threshold mean the threshold is zero then you automatically reach the threshold on each roll and [always] restart the test (no removal of dice on successive rolls) after just one roll with a full pool and no delay or penalty.

To enhance this theory; The example [always] restart the test (no removal of dice on successive rolls) after just one roll with a full pool and no delay or penalty.

All three would mean that you [always] restart the test (no removal of dice on successive rolls) after just one roll with a full pool and no delay or penalty.

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #605 on: <09-15-13/1242:40> »
Does a stim patch remove (temporarily) stun damage from fading and drain?
Does a stim patch rating 3 used on a character with 1 stun damage still cause 4 stun damage after 30 minutes?

What happens when an effect removes a number of stun (or physical) damage greater than the amount on a condition monitor?
{edit to make separation of subject clearer}
« Last Edit: <09-16-13/0607:42> by T-Hatchet »

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #606 on: <09-15-13/1247:16> »
Can you have additional SINs loaded (but not active) on your comlink and switch between them like programs or do you need a separate comlink for each SIN?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #607 on: <09-16-13/0507:40> »
Does a stim patch remove (temporarily) stun damage from fading and drain?
Yes
No. You can not heal fading or drain in any other way than resting.

The wording of Stim patch is that it remove (permanently heal) the damage.
When the duration is up the patient take (new)  stun damage.

What happens when an effect removes a number of stun (or physical) damage greater than the amount on a condition monitor?
Nothing.
(It removes a number of boxes of Stun damage (not physical) equal to its Rating. The effect of removing a number of boxes of Stun damage last for (Rating x 10) minutes).

Does a stim patch rating 3 used on a character with 1 stun damage still cause 4 stun damage after 30 minutes?
Yes.
(So in this case it would have been better to use a stim patch rating 1 or wait until you suffer more stun damage before you use the stim patch rating 3)

Can you have additional SINs loaded (but not active) on your comlink and switch between them like programs or do you need a separate comlink for each SIN?
You can have multiple (often fake) SINs stored on a commlink and switch between them at will. You can only have one SIN loaded (or currently active - same thing) per commlink.

At a security checkpoint or when you legally buy an item you will only display one SIN; the loaded or currently active SIN.
« Last Edit: <09-16-13/0559:45> by Xenon »

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #608 on: <09-16-13/1624:46> »
Q: Detecting Hackers
If you succeed with an Attack action, your target becomes aware that it is under attack by another icon, but it doesn’t automatically spot you. It will most likely actively search for you on its next action...

Please describe what (if any) action the target has to use in order to spot the attacker?
If in a Host/within 100 meters, is it automatic on their next turn?
If the attacker is Running Silently, does the target have to specify any pertinent information (i.e. Last Matrix Action An icon performed) or is it sufficient to just search for the icon that attacked them (i.e. Spot the Icon You Are Looking For). (I realize that is a compound question, but I hope you get the jist).

Thanks!
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #609 on: <09-17-13/1428:36> »
Q: Gremlins Negative Quality

The NQ states that you are to reduce the number of 1s required for a glitch by 1 for each level of ths skill required. The glitch rules state that a glitch occurs when more than half of the dice rolled on a test come up as ones.

What happens if you have Gremlins (2) and a dice pool of 3? Normally, you would need two 1s to trigger a glitch. With Gremlins, this would be reduced to 0 ones required for a glitch. Does that mean that you always glitch in this situation? The text doesn't say "Reduce the number of 1s required for a glitch by one for each level of Gremlins, to a minimum of X" as some other qualities/skills/actions do. Thanks!
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #610 on: <09-18-13/0125:53> »
Q: Gremlins Negative Quality

The NQ states that you are to reduce the number of 1s required for a glitch by 1 for each level of ths skill required. The glitch rules state that a glitch occurs when more than half of the dice rolled on a test come up as ones.

What happens if you have Gremlins (2) and a dice pool of 3? Normally, you would need two 1s to trigger a glitch. With Gremlins, this would be reduced to 0 ones required for a glitch. Does that mean that you always glitch in this situation? The text doesn't say "Reduce the number of 1s required for a glitch by one for each level of Gremlins, to a minimum of X" as some other qualities/skills/actions do. Thanks!

Well...if you can still glitch and succeed, I do not see a problem with this..You can succeed, and still have something bad happen!

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #611 on: <09-18-13/1133:18> »
Spirits

Q: The Spirit Basics entry on p. 301 states:
When materialized, the spirit uses astral perception (its only perception) to perceive the physical world.
How does this work with Spirits who explicitly have Enhanced Sense powers? (e.g. Spirits of Man (Thermographic Vision), Spirits of Beast (Hearing, Low-Light Vision, Smell))
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

acolyte99

« Reply #612 on: <09-18-13/1233:14> »
In addition to the spirit post: all spirits have Perception, which would be useless, if the quoted sentence is correct.
Normally one could argue, that a materialized spirit is dual-natured and the dual-natured critter power stated that " that a dual-natured critter always senses both the physical and astral worlds". But with this quote specific would trump general and materialized spirits wouldn't be able to see colors, see through glass, hear words exactly (not muffled like from astral space), see photographs etc.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #613 on: <09-19-13/0709:28> »
(are you assuming you can't take perception tests when you are using astral perception to spot things that are not astral obvious...? mana barriers, for example, impose a visual penalty equal to the barrier's Force on the astral plane - but transparent or even invisible on the physical plane).

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #614 on: <09-19-13/0813:55> »
The book seems to state that this would be assensing. I know there was an earlier thread on this, but I am not sure if this passage was brought up or not. Yet again, it's a question of whether the final clause modifies both prior statements:
Like physical perception, you don’t need to make a test to see things that are immediately obvious (and since astral forms are bright and vibrant, this means that most astral forms are easy to spot). You only need to roll the dice when your target is trying to hide or when you’re trying to observe in detail—then you make an Assensing Test to see what you can see.
Given that both functions would be covered by Perception in the meat world, it seems like Asssensing would apply equally here. Not a fan of it, but I think it is what the book is saying.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal