NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #585 on: <09-12-13/0443:57> »
Natural Recovery is described as an Extended Test. Since all Extended Tests are now Limited, this results in two questions:
Q: Is Natural Recovery supposed to be a Limited Test, or is it meant to be without losing dice?
Q: If it is supposed to be a Limited Test, is it possible to take a break before starting a new test? If so, what time period would count as a sufficient break?

I think I answered this question already. Barring errata, if you run out of dice, you need medical care (which gives you extra dice). If you take a break and want to start over, ask your GM how long a break you need; I'd go with "at least as long as you just took to get to this point."

Medical care only add dices to the extended test, it does not guarantee that you will completely heal before you run out of dice.
So what if with the bonus of medical care you run out of dice before being fully healed?
(please note that in the examples, the number of dice is not reduced as it should be for a regular extended test)

I had hoped I was clear in my previous answers. If you run out of dice in an Extended Test, you stop. If you want to rest between attempts, your GM will tell you how long that is. If you want me to say "you don't reduce dice when you're healing," I can't do that without making a change to written rules, and that's the sort of thing I only do in my home games, not on FAQ threads.

While I'm at it, I'd like to request that folks take any rules discussions to other threads. I'd like to focus this topic on questions and follow-up questions. Thanks!

Thank you, this is now clear: you need to rest between 2 resting periods  :o
You are right, let's not discuss the rules themselves here, this thread is already long enough ;)
Just one remark: you (i.e. CatLabs) will have to make a change to the written rules, because the healing examples are bogus (the dice pool is not reduced).
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #586 on: <09-12-13/0749:27> »
According to p.207 "Stun damage" and "Physical damage" under the chapter "Natural Recovery"
...both stun damage and physical damage are naturally recovered using an extended test (with a threshold of zero).

According to extended test definition on p.48 you remove one dice from the pool for each test you take and that the test is over when you reach the threshold (success) or when you run out of dice (fail).

Since the threshold is zero you automatically reach the threshold (zero hits or more) each time you take the test.
And since the test was not a fail (you reached the threshold and you did not ran out of pool) you can take the test again without delay or penalty.

This exact behavior (always taking a new test with full dice pool each time even after zero hits - without delay or penalty) is also reflected in the [second] example on p207.

Q Is there any error in my reasoning?

Q If so what and why?
(Feel I need a bit info why the [second] example on p.207 being wrong before i post it in the errata thread)

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #587 on: <09-12-13/0824:39> »
Xenon, I understand your reasonning, however it seems really far-fetched.
I would rather consider that the threshold is the number of boxes of damage.
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #588 on: <09-13-13/1142:51> »
what does the Drain code of Resist Pain mean?
Drain:(Damage Value)-6
Is it intended to be the only spell that does not use the spell's Force in the calculation?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #589 on: <09-13-13/1238:55> »
Is it intended that the Headware "Cyberdeck" have an Avaiability of 5R (despite what deck you install) and only cost 5,000¥ + deck cost?

(as it mean you can install a Shiawase Cyber-5 at chargen as Used headware for 415,781.25¥ and 5R 1R -instead of 549,375¥ and 15R)
« Last Edit: <09-13-13/1330:30> by Xenon »

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #590 on: <09-13-13/1520:23> »
I asked this else where but thought i would move it to hear as i'm still trying to understand how multiple noise sources interact. Slightly altered from the original question to add in some more info.
Q. It is raining really heavily in Seattle, enough to get static noise or rating 3, I'm in the shopping district and it's a spam zone of rating 5 Spam noise, and then someone turns on a Jammer (lets say that with rating and distance, it's 3 noise). What is my noise penalty?
Q. The devices releasing the spam are RFID tags, so Device Rating 2, does this mean that with the Static Noise of 3 from the rain, they lose their broadcasting functionality, lowering the spam noise by 5?

Pollution

• Newb
« Reply #591 on: <09-13-13/1551:43> »
Is it intended that the Headware "Cyberdeck" have an Avaiability of 5R (despite what deck you install) and only cost 5,000¥ + deck cost?

(as it mean you can install a Shiawase Cyber-5 at chargen as Used headware for 415,781.25¥ and 5R 1R -instead of 549,375¥ and 15R)

I'm assuming they meant +5R, or something like that. (though +5 seems WAY high, should probably be +2 or something)

Aaron

« Reply #592 on: <09-13-13/1759:16> »
Just one remark: you (i.e. CatLabs) will have to make a change to the written rules, because the healing examples are bogus (the dice pool is not reduced).

I suggest posting your suggestion in the errata thread.

According to p.207 "Stun damage" and "Physical damage" under the chapter "Natural Recovery"
...both stun damage and physical damage are naturally recovered using an extended test (with a threshold of zero).

According to extended test definition on p.48 you remove one dice from the pool for each test you take and that the test is over when you reach the threshold (success) or when you run out of dice (fail).

Since the threshold is zero you automatically reach the threshold (zero hits or more) each time you take the test.
And since the test was not a fail (you reached the threshold and you did not ran out of pool) you can take the test again without delay or penalty.

This exact behavior (always taking a new test with full dice pool each time even after zero hits - without delay or penalty) is also reflected in the [second] example on p207.

Q Is there any error in my reasoning?

Q If so what and why?
(Feel I need a bit info why the [second] example on p.207 being wrong before i post it in the errata thread)

Yes, but only because I'm not seeing where the book states that threshold of zero you seem to be assuming. Could you tell me which section you're referring to?

what does the Drain code of Resist Pain mean?
Drain:(Damage Value)-6
Is it intended to be the only spell that does not use the spell's Force in the calculation?

I think that's one for the errata. I'll check with the errata folks.

Aaron

« Reply #593 on: <09-13-13/1802:13> »

Think of it as an accessory. Deck sold separately.

I asked this else where but thought i would move it to hear as i'm still trying to understand how multiple noise sources interact. Slightly altered from the original question to add in some more info.
Q. It is raining really heavily in Seattle, enough to get static noise or rating 3, I'm in the shopping district and it's a spam zone of rating 5 Spam noise, and then someone turns on a Jammer (lets say that with rating and distance, it's 3 noise). What is my noise penalty?

Q. The devices releasing the spam are RFID tags, so Device Rating 2, does this mean that with the Static Noise of 3 from the rain, they lose their broadcasting functionality, lowering the spam noise by 5?

No, because broadcast functionality is not a wireless bonus. Only wireless bonuses are affected by noise, not basic functionality. For example, you can still browse the Matrix and send messages, even in that nightmare Rating 11 noise you've got in the previous question. However, your grenade's wireless trigger wouldn't work.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #594 on: <09-13-13/1806:47> »
No, because broadcast functionality is not a wireless bonus. Only wireless bonuses are affected by noise, not basic functionality. For example, you can still browse the Matrix and send messages, even in that nightmare Rating 11 noise you've got in the previous question. However, your grenade's wireless trigger wouldn't work.
I have been vastly misunderstanding noise then, thank you. I still do not get how they hinder riggers and deckers then...

In terms of browsing he Matrix, with the -11 Data Search Dice Pool, surely I cannot?
« Last Edit: <09-13-13/1814:49> by Chrona »

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #595 on: <09-13-13/1811:25> »
I have been vastly misunderstanding noise then, thank you. I still do not get how they hinder riggers and deckers then...
Well, there is the part where it says it applies a negative dice pool modifier to all of your Matrix actions. So I guess you could still send a command to a drone with Send Message (No test) but might have a hell of a time remote controlling it using Control Device?
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #596 on: <09-13-13/1816:47> »
Well, there is the part where it says it applies a negative dice pool modifier to all of your Matrix actions. So I guess you could still send a command to a drone with Send Message (No test) but might have a hell of a time remote controlling it using Control Device?
Yeah Jack, I started rereading it after Aaron's post. I think I'm starting to get it... It is just strange to me that browsing the matrix for anything takes a Data Search, so you actually couldn't browse the matrix surely?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #597 on: <09-13-13/1832:00> »
Could you tell me which section you're referring to?
p.207
Make a Body + Willpower (1 hour) Extended Test
Make a Body x 2 (1 day) Extended Test

No mention of a threshold you need to keep rolling until you reach

the [second] example on p.207
He keeps making the same roll each hour with his 6 dice and gets...
Full pool each roll with no penalty or delay as if the extended test restart each time after a success.

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #598 on: <09-13-13/1908:42> »

Think of it as an accessory. Deck sold separately.

I thought the grenades wireless bonus was being able to use wireless trigger without a DNI. So assuming I have a Datajack or the like I can still trigger grenades with the wireless trigger?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #599 on: <09-13-13/1934:59> »

When an item has additional functionality when connected to the Matrix, it’s described under the “Wireless” entry  in  the  item’s  description.  This  functionality  only applies when the device has access to the Matrix, which is most of the time unless your gamemaster says otherwise,  like  if  you’ve  entered  a  wireless  static  zone.  If there is a Noise Rating from a situation that is greater than  the  item’s  Device  Rating,  not  including  distance, the item temporarily loses its wireless functionality (see Noise, p. 230).

Your example...  The wireless trigger on the grenade isn't a "wireless bonus", isn't it literally just how the wireless device functions?  The rules don't say there's a difference; they say "wireless functionality" not "wireless bonus" implying they stop functioning entirely.  There's no setting for devices that's "wireless is on but wireless bonus is not active".  The whole point of the wireless bonus/functionality is that they are the both connected, the former being the reward and the latter being the risk.

The rules don't differential between things that are just "bonuses" for being wireless and things that are "basic wireless functions".  They are both considered bonuses that only work when the device is fully functional.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.