NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #570 on: <09-10-13/1911:41> »
Aaron in the initiative response what exactly are you saying yes to?

The first part of the question.

So in other words you're saying that Wired Reflexes and Increased Reflexes do stack because Augmentation in the wired reflexes text only refers to cybernetic augmentations?

Do you intend the corollary to this that the augmented maximum only applies to Cybernetic augmentation and that magical augmentation (or whatever you've decided to call it since we can't now call it augmentation) is completely uncapped?

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #571 on: <09-10-13/1914:21> »
Q: How do mana-based spells interact with homunculi? Are they objects like drones? Living things like spirits? Their static Willpower makes me hope for the former.
Q: Do homunculi have Stun Condition Monitors? Spirits are explicitly called out as having them, homunculi are not.
Q: Is the Physical condition monitor for the homunculi calculated normally based on their Body?
Q: Homunculi have movement listed as 15/30. They seem to be the only critter listed with a static movement not based on their Agility. Is this Walking/Running speed and can they sprint?
Good question. The description of the homunculus doesn't specify whether or not it's dual-natured, but after reading the rest of the chapter I'd say that it's a physical object with an aura (the same way a spell has an aura rather than an astral presence).
Spirits don't have Stun Condition Monitors. They're physical objects with Armor and Structure ratings.
Yep.
That's one for the errata.
Thanks for the responses Aaron! Although I am disappointed to see that my lightning fast homunculi may be no more, but it seems like they have gained so much. My Jewish Israeli Golemancer is coming more clearly into focus! LOL Did you mean homunculi when you said "Spirits don't have Stun Condition Monitors"? You don't have to give a new response, just change your response if that was your intention if you don't mind. Thanks!
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #572 on: <09-10-13/1952:42> »
Q: If I am a rigger with a Control Rig (2) and I plug directly into a vehicle to jump into it (cutting out both Commlink and RCC), what are my matrix attributes? Are they based on the device rating of the rig (which appears to be 2)? Can I even jump into a vehicle by direct connection without some kind of additional interface?

You'd have the Matrix attributes of your vehicle.
Yuck, so for most ground vehicles your DataPro and Firewall would be a 1? Uh, I'm not going to be direct connecting to my vehicle.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #573 on: <09-10-13/2013:41> »
I can not seem to find the Nuyen cost for learning a new ritual only the 5 Karma cost.
How much Nuyen, if any, does learning a new ritual cost?

Sielle

• Newb
« Reply #574 on: <09-10-13/2054:24> »
I can not seem to find the Nuyen cost for learning a new ritual only the 5 Karma cost.

Page 461 the spell formula cost chart?  Wouldn't it be the same formula cost if it was a cast spell, ritual spell, or alchemy preparation?  Granted each type would require a different formula, but all 3 cost the same per formula.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #575 on: <09-10-13/2102:55> »
That could probably be assumed for rituals with the (Spell) keyowrd (seems fair to me), but what do you do about Ward, Homunculus, Watcher, and Circle of Protection?
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #576 on: <09-10-13/2116:08> »
The (Spell) keyword doesn't have anything to do with it, I think: it simply means the ritual "is used in conjunction with a spell that the ritual leader knows".
Quote from: Page 296
You learn each ritual the same way you learn a spell (p. 299).
Quote from: Page 299
New spells, rituals, or alchemical preparations (p. 316) can be learned by studying spell formulae or finding some mentor (either a spirit or another Awakened individual) to teach you.
(...)
If you want to learn alone, you can buy a spell formula (prices on the Magical Goods table, p. 326).

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #577 on: <09-10-13/2125:30> »
Right, that's true. The problem is that there are no ritual spell formulae listed in the Magical Goods section. One suggestion (at least for the (Spell) keyword rituals) is to price them commensurate with whatever class of spell can be cast through them. So the Curse Ritual would be priced with Illusion formula and the Renesence Ritual would be priced as Manipulation formula. It still doesn't address Ward, Watcher, etc, but would be a start.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #578 on: <09-11-13/0821:53> »
Yuck, so for most ground vehicles your DataPro and Firewall would be a 1? Uh, I'm not going to be direct connecting to my vehicle.
(You don't need data processing or firewall when using pilot or gunnery skill when jacked in...)

Direct connect [your control rig to your RCC and] your RCC to your vehicle.

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #579 on: <09-11-13/0827:54> »
Natural Recovery is described as an Extended Test. Since all Extended Tests are now Limited, this results in two questions:
Q: Is Natural Recovery supposed to be a Limited Test, or is it meant to be without losing dice?
Q: If it is supposed to be a Limited Test, is it possible to take a break before starting a new test? If so, what time period would count as a sufficient break?

I think I answered this question already. Barring errata, if you run out of dice, you need medical care (which gives you extra dice). If you take a break and want to start over, ask your GM how long a break you need; I'd go with "at least as long as you just took to get to this point."

Medical care only add dices to the extended test, it does not guarantee that you will completely heal before you run out of dice.
So what if with the bonus of medical care you run out of dice before being fully healed?
(please note that in the examples, the number of dice is not reduced as it should be for a regular extended test)
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #580 on: <09-11-13/0828:31> »
(You don't need data processing or firewall when using pilot or gunnery skill when jacked in...)
Not for that, but you better hope they don't have a hacker.
Direct connect [your control rig to your RCC and] your RCC to your vehicle.
That's what I do, but the book implies that riggers regularly connect directly to their vehicles, which seems like a terrible idea.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #581 on: <09-11-13/0914:58> »
So in other words you're saying that Wired Reflexes and Increased Reflexes do stack because Augmentation in the wired reflexes text only refers to cybernetic augmentations?
Interesting.... You still can't combine improved reflexes with wired reflexes, synaptic boosters or increase reflexes, you still can't combine synaptic boosters with improved reflexes, wired reflexes or increase reflexes and you still can't combine reaction enhancers with improved physical reaction or increased reaction  - but this would make it possible to combine wired reflexes and increase reflexes and muscle toner with increased physical agility...

Actually, reading up on on all location where the word Augmentation appears in the book make pretty clear that augmentation and augmentations only deal with cyberware and bioware.

Spells and physical adept powers are very careful to not use the word augmentation and instead use words such as Increased, Improved, Enhanced and Boosted as in increases, improvements, enhancements and boosts.

However, magical and physical adept descriptions, while not being augmentations, state that they still do "Augment" -but since spells are not augmentations they all also explicit state that the spell or power is still limited by the "up to your augmented [Attribute] maximum".

We need a name for non cybernetic and bionetic spells and powers that augment attributes.
- Magical attribute increases? Magical increases to <attribute>?
And what about a name for the whole group of cyberware, bioware, spells and adept powers.
- Attribute enhancers? <attribute> enhancement? Augmented <attribute>?

This sure sound as if the cap of +4 (but at no point can augmentations exceed the +4 bonus cap p.94) only affect Augmentations (cybernetics and bioware), unless the spell, adept power or drug explicit state that it is also affected by the limit.

Drugs does not explicit state that they are limited by the +4 augmented limit
Drugs are not augmentations (cyberware or bioware)

Improved reflexes does not explicit state that it is limited to the +4 augmented limit
Improved reflexes is not an augmentation.

Medical care only add dices to the extended test, it does not guarantee that you will completely heal before you run out of dice.
So what if with the bonus of medical care you run out of dice before being fully healed?
(please note that in the examples, the number of dice is not reduced as it should be for a regular extended test)
Either examples need errata or you can choose to end the extended test if you fail and then restart it the next hour with a full dice pool (don't see why you would not be allowed to do that tbh).

...if you run out of dice your extended test failed and you need to restart the test with a full dice pool. In some explicit cases - like the black market extended test - you have to wait before you can restart the test, but there is nothing about that in the general extended test definition. There is also a rule called Trying Again that give you -2 dice per repeated try if you repeat a test after you fail unless you take a break - not sure if that would apply to extended tests or not (if it do you might need to rest or think about something else for an hour or two before you try again - but rest from resting...??)

Aaron

« Reply #582 on: <09-11-13/1734:45> »
Aaron in the initiative response what exactly are you saying yes to?

The first part of the question.

Do you intend the corollary to this that the augmented maximum only applies to Cybernetic augmentation and that magical augmentation (or whatever you've decided to call it since we can't now call it augmentation) is completely uncapped?

Yes, followed by no. You can't get more than 5D6 in Initiative Dice no matter what your source.

Good question. I'll check with the errata crew.

Aaron

« Reply #583 on: <09-11-13/1739:42> »
Natural Recovery is described as an Extended Test. Since all Extended Tests are now Limited, this results in two questions:
Q: Is Natural Recovery supposed to be a Limited Test, or is it meant to be without losing dice?
Q: If it is supposed to be a Limited Test, is it possible to take a break before starting a new test? If so, what time period would count as a sufficient break?

I think I answered this question already. Barring errata, if you run out of dice, you need medical care (which gives you extra dice). If you take a break and want to start over, ask your GM how long a break you need; I'd go with "at least as long as you just took to get to this point."

I had hoped I was clear in my previous answers. If you run out of dice in an Extended Test, you stop. If you want to rest between attempts, your GM will tell you how long that is. If you want me to say "you don't reduce dice when you're healing," I can't do that without making a change to written rules, and that's the sort of thing I only do in my home games, not on FAQ threads.

While I'm at it, I'd like to request that folks take any rules discussions to other threads. I'd like to focus this topic on questions and follow-up questions. Thanks!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #584 on: <09-11-13/1742:44> »
Which is why I frequently ask RAI questions to make sure they didn't accidentally make a mistake in the SR4->SR5 conversion. :) And I know you're not always able to answer those yourself.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!