NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #555 on: <09-03-13/1415:37> »
I did a search for posts about detection spells, but I did not find anything to address this specific issue I am having. Maybe I am merely being obtuse.

I don't understand the range of detection spells.

Case in point, from page 287:

Detect [Life Form]
(Active, Area)
Type: M Range: TDuration: S Drain: F – 2

Detect [Life Form], Extended
(Active, Extended Area)
Type: M Range: TDuration: S Drain: F

The subject detects all of a specified type of life form
within the range of the sense and knows their number
and relative location. This is actually several different
spells that must be learned separately, one for each type
of life form that a caster might like to detect (Detect
Orks, Detect Elves, Detect Dragons, and so forth), which
are learned separately.

There are two salient parts here:

Firstly: "The subject detects all of a specified type of life form within the range of the sense and knows their number and relative location." What sense is "the sense," taste? Proprioception? Balance? I understand that the "range" is touch because one must touch someone to cast this spell on them, but how far away can the beneficiary "sense" life? Is it out to the range of their line of sight? What good is it to see living things if they're already within LOS? Is it out to [Force] meters, making weird auras glow in the vision of the benefciary even when a wall or other mundane barrier blocks them?

Can one use this spell to give people the ability to sense life?

Issue the second:
What does "extended" mean in the case of the second spell? How much of a range exentsion is it?

In short, I can't figure out how the range of detection spells work at all. Mind throwing me a bone?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #556 on: <09-03-13/1417:47> »
Quote from: Page 285 (basic description of Detection Spells)
Detection spells may be cast upon yourself or on another subject within touch range. The standard range of the sense a Detection spell grants is the spell’s Force x caster’s Magic in meters as a radius from the target of the spell. Extended-range detection spells have a Force x Magic x 10 meter range.

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #557 on: <09-03-13/1419:57> »
Quote from: Page 285 (basic description of Detection Spells)
Detection spells may be cast upon yourself or on another subject within touch range. The standard range of the sense a Detection spell grants is the spell’s Force x caster’s Magic in meters as a radius from the target of the spell. Extended-range detection spells have a Force x Magic x 10 meter range.

ZeConster for the win!

Thanks, I was going mad looking for clarification in the book.

I award you one APDS clip in gratitude.

;D

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #558 on: <09-03-13/1818:19> »
Does that mean that if a) I am a really lucky human with Edge 7 and b) I spend Edge to Push the Limit in three subsequent rounds, that I roll 7D6 extra each time?
Correct. You always add your full Edge attribute with Pushing the Limit.

Yes, you can burn Edge when you spent all your temporary Edge points. They're two different things after all, one is an Attribute and the other a Pool.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #559 on: <09-03-13/1837:03> »
Cool. Thanks Michael. That's what I thought, but when the text threw "Edge Rating" I wavered a bit. LOL
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #560 on: <09-04-13/0353:22> »
Q: Does an Airburst simply reduce scatter or does it also detonate the grenades as part of reducing the scatter?

martinchaen

« Reply #561 on: <09-04-13/2234:11> »
Q: Which skill do you use for cyberguns?

Might be a silly question, but the cyberguns paragraph on the page 458 doesn't mention skills, while the "Cyber melee weapons" paragraph on the same page specifically states:
"Attacks with cyber melee weapons use Unarmed Combat skill and the Physical limit."

The Automatics skill is the only skill with a "Cyber Implants" specialization listed of the possible cybergun skills, which are Pistols, Automatics, Longarms, and Heavy Weapons.

Furthermore, on page 132 the Unarmed Combat skill specifically states (emphasis mine):
"Unarmed Combat covers the various self-defense and attack moves that employ the body as a primary weapon. This includes a wide array of martial arts along with the use of cybernetic implant weaponry and the fighting styles that sprung up around those implants."

Additionally, the cyberguns paragraph on page 458 also states (emphasis mine):
"Generally speaking, these are mounted in a cyberarm or directly into a natural arm, but you could install one in a leg or even your torso. Cyberguns are distinct from cyber holsters in that the gun itself can be controlled and fired directly, as an extension of your body. Depending on the size of the gun, cyberguns take up part of your forearm or replace your arm altogether, with the functional parts of the arm built around the gun. Smaller cyberguns fire through a hidden port in the palm or knuckles, while larger cyberguns fold back the user’s hand at the wrist."

I would be tempted to houserule this so that the Unarmed Combat skill applied equally to all cyber implant weapons; from my own experience with firearms, at least, I cannot even begin to comprehend how being trained in the classic Weaver stance would help you fire a gun that's implanted in your ribcage.
« Last Edit: <09-04-13/2319:19> by martinchaen »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #562 on: <09-06-13/0836:03> »
Q: If, due to essence loss, a Magician/Mystical Adept character's Magic drops below their Free Spells / 2, and they only have 1 skill for Spell Slots / Ritual Slots / Alchemical Preparations Slots: Do they lose the excess, since they cannot have more than Magic x2 per category at chargen? Or do free spell slots override this limit?

For example, a character SichoPhiend posted went Magic Priority A, lost 2 magic from ware and only had Spellcasting. This character starts with 10 free Spell from Magic A, but due to having only 4 Magic is not allowed to have more than 8 spells at chargen.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #563 on: <09-06-13/1302:05> »
Q: If I am a rigger with a Control Rig (2) and I plug directly into a vehicle to jump into it (cutting out both Commlink and RCC), what are my matrix attributes? Are they based on the device rating of the rig (which appears to be 2)? Can I even jump into a vehicle by direct connection without some kind of additional interface?
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #564 on: <09-09-13/1140:22> »
Natural Recovery is described as an Extended Test. Since all Extended Tests are now Limited, this results in two questions:
Q: Is Natural Recovery supposed to be a Limited Test, or is it meant to be without losing dice?
Q: If it is supposed to be a Limited Test, is it possible to take a break before starting a new test? If so, what time period would count as a sufficient break?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #565 on: <09-09-13/1233:29> »
Q: If it is supposed to be a Limited Test, is it possible to take a break before starting a new test? If so, what time period would count as a sufficient break?
Yes, we are all very curious as to how long a break you need to take from resting.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #566 on: <09-09-13/1245:47> »
Yes, we are all very curious as to how long a break you need to take from resting.
OK then.. platelets and white blood cells, y'all can go back to my bone marrow and take a break for now. I'll give you a call when we try this again.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #567 on: <09-09-13/1518:18> »
Natural Recovery is described as an Extended Test. Since all Extended Tests are now Limited, this results in two questions:
Q: Is Natural Recovery supposed to be a Limited Test, or is it meant to be without losing dice?
Since the threshold is zero you only need one hit to end the extended test in a success, in that case you can take the test again after you rested that first hour.

The question only become interesting if you have a very small pool and fail over and over until you run out of pool without a single hit.
- Can you in this situation make a new extended test with a fresh pool.
- Can you choose to end the test and restart it with a fresh pool when you failed to get a hit during the first hour. 
- Do you need to wait a set period of time (black market extended test state you have to wait twice the base time before you can try that specific test again).
- Do you get a negative modifier if you try again after a failed attempt to heal stun damage (the Trying Again rule on p.49 state you can try again with -2 pool, but it is unclear if this applies to extended tests or not. And to get rid of the -2 pool you have to take a break from trying -- taking a break from resting... o'rly?)

(Gut feeling tells me you are allowed to make a new recover stun damage test, restart the test, every hour with a full willpower+body pool without delay or penalty)

Aaron

« Reply #568 on: <09-10-13/1810:57> »
Aaron in the initiative response what exactly are you saying yes to?

The first part of the question.

Q: Can a Technomancer target a host with complex forms that targets a device, such as Resonance Veil, Diffusion of [Matrix Attribute], or Puppeteer?

No.

Q: When a Technomancer targets a slaved device with a complex form, does the slaved device have the option of using the master's Willpower/Device Rating and Firewall to defend against it?

Yes.

Q: Can an Adept, Magician or Mystic Adept without Ritual Spellcasting but with Astral Perception play the roll of Spotter in a ritual (which means they do not roll but still suffer drain), or is Ritual Spellcasting required to participate?
Q: Bound Spirits can function as Spotter for a ritual [thanks to their mental link with a Ritual Spellcaster]. Can Watchers, which are like bound Spirits, function as Spotter? Can a Homonculus?

Yes.
No; it turns out that watchers aren't spirits like everyone used to think. Although now I'm going to pitch an idea for a minion ritual called Spotter.

In relation to Chandras question. IF an adept can be used as a spotter, does he roll body+willpower as if it was an adept power with drain, as he doesnt have a tradition?

Adepts use Body + Willpower against Drain.

How do mana barriers define "object"?
Are spells "objects"?
If you try to walk through a mana barrier and fail your magic+cha vs barrier force x2 roll, do you simple fail to walk through as if you hit a wall?

Physical things. Mana barriers only interact with astral forms.
No.
Yes, if you're astrally active (dual-natured as in astral perception or fully astral).

Regarding astral intersections:
You drive a van through a mana barrier with five spells on you,
Do you:
A: roll spell force x 2 vs barrier force x 2 for every spell on you? If so:
What order do you roll in? If the first spell beats the barrier, the barrier drops (forever or until the end of the combat turn, depending on the barrier) do you then not roll for the other spells?
B: Roll for the person (magic + cha) vs barrier force x 2? If so, on a failure to break through are your spells disrupted AND you are unconscious? Are you just unconscious? Are you only unconscious if you were astrally perceiving but your spells are still disrupted?

A. The order your GM calls for them. Correct.

Why are the rules different for being forced through a barrier and pushing your way through a barrier?

Because in one case you have no choice (astral forms can't pull or push physical ones, but a dual-natured astral form attached to a physical form is stuck to the physical form), and in the other you're trying to push through on your own. The answer to your next question (can I just force myself through a mana barrier while astrally perceiving?) is yes, but you might end up unconscious for your efforts (or perhaps I should say, "knock yerself out").

Q: How do mana-based spells interact with homunculi? Are they objects like drones? Living things like spirits? Their static Willpower makes me hope for the former.
Q: Do homunculi have Stun Condition Monitors? Spirits are explicitly called out as having them, homunculi are not.
Q: Is the Physical condition monitor for the homunculi calculated normally based on their Body?
Q: Homunculi have movement listed as 15/30. They seem to be the only critter listed with a static movement not based on their Agility. Is this Walking/Running speed and can they sprint?

Good question. The description of the homunculus doesn't specify whether or not it's dual-natured, but after reading the rest of the chapter I'd say that it's a physical object with an aura (the same way a spell has an aura rather than an astral presence).
Homunculi [thanks, Jack VII] don't have Stun Condition Monitors. They're physical objects with Armor and Structure ratings.
Yep.
That's one for the errata.

Q: Does Natural Hardening simply increase the Firewall rating of a Technomancer's Living Persona by +1? The text seems to imply this. If not, what is the proper interaction between Technomancers and Natural Hardening?

The quality does not increase the technomancer's Firewall. It gives +1 die when resisting biofeedback damage. It's cumulative with a technomancer's Firewall and any other ratings used in such a dice pool.

Q: Are the Adept Power Combat Sense and the Spell Combat Sense supposed to stack?

I'm not sure why they wouldn't.

Q: Which specialization of negotiation would be used for trying to track down black market gear? Bargaining?

The one your GM picks.

« Last Edit: <09-11-13/1729:33> by Aaron »

Aaron

« Reply #569 on: <09-10-13/1824:08> »
Q: What do autopilot drones roll for defense tests? Is it Pilot + Evasion autosoft, or is Evasion limited only to Sensor Defense Tests? Could it be Pilot + Maneuver autosoft? (I am partial to using Pilot x 2 so it remains an attribute + attribute defense test without a limit, but the rules hint otherwise)

Q: p269 says "The Device Rating of a drone is the same as its Pilot Rating, meaning all of its Matrix attributes are equal to the Pilot Rating." p234 says drones have a device rating of 2. Which is it? It's important to know because drones can only run up to DR / 2 (round up) autosofts.

Q: Does it cost money to repair a drone? Repairing Matrix damage seems to be free, except critical glitches permanently brick the device. Build/repair tests for Physical damage are looser and more open to GM interpretation, but I imagine they'd be similar to repairing Matrix damage. The only time the text mentions cost is when the drone is bricked and destroyed.

Q: Recoil stuff
A. Does firing a Single-Shot (SS) weapon eliminate progressive recoil penalties or merely allow you to ignore them? For example, I am holding an SMG in my left hand and a revolver in the right. Pass 1, I fire full-auto with the SMG and rack up a -9 penalty, which would normally carry over to the next pass. Pass 2, I fire the revolver and suffer no recoil. Pass 3, I fire the SMG. Do I add the -9 from earlier, or do I start at 0 again?
B. If I fire my SS five times in a row, then quick-draw an SMG, am I starting at 0 or -4 for the accumulated recoil?
C. Does Suppressive Fire work the same way? Are accumulated recoil penalties eliminated or simply ignored?
D. Even though I ignore recoil during Suppressive Fire, does my next attack in the next pass start from 0 or do I include the 20 bullets fired from the previous attack as a -19 recoil penalty?
(I'm writing an app to help track recoil across combat, and these questions came up)

Thanks.

Maneuvering.

The table on p. 234 is general. The rule about Device Rating and Pilot Rating being the same is specific, so it takes precedence.

Yes, following the build and repair rules that say that your GM will tell you if it costs money. More specific cost rules will probably be in a future source book.

A. SS weapons don't generate recoil.
B. 0
C. Recoil remains at the level you have when you start your suppressive fire.
D. You don't ignore recoil, you just don't add any to your current amount.

Q: Does an Airburst simply reduce scatter or does it also detonate the grenades as part of reducing the scatter?

The airburst link only reduces scatter, it's the grenade's wireless bonus that gives you wireless triggering. Yes, you can do the trick you're thinking of.

Q: Which skill do you use for cyberguns?

The appropriate skill for the firearm of that type (the rest doesn't seem to be a question, so I edited it out; hope you don't mind).

Q: If, due to essence loss, a Magician/Mystical Adept character's Magic drops below their Free Spells / 2, and they only have 1 skill for Spell Slots / Ritual Slots / Alchemical Preparations Slots: Do they lose the excess, since they cannot have more than Magic x2 per category at chargen? Or do free spell slots override this limit?

The excess is lost.

Q: If I am a rigger with a Control Rig (2) and I plug directly into a vehicle to jump into it (cutting out both Commlink and RCC), what are my matrix attributes? Are they based on the device rating of the rig (which appears to be 2)? Can I even jump into a vehicle by direct connection without some kind of additional interface?

You'd have the Matrix attributes of your vehicle.

I think I answered this question already. Barring errata, if you run out of dice, you need medical care (which gives you extra dice). If you take a break and want to start over, ask your GM how long a break you need; I'd go with "at least as long as you just took to get to this point."