NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #525 on: <08-30-13/1047:47> »
Q: Do the assistant(s) test in a teamwork test use modifiers?

Q: Do the assistant(s) test in a teamwork test use a limit?

Melee Teamwork test p.188 (which is similar to a teamwork test but have special rules) explicit state that assistants in a Melee Teamwork test use both modifiers and limit while Teamwork tests p.49 only state assistants use "appropriate skill + attribute" and does not mention modifiers nor limits (except for the team leader).

p.49 Teamwork test example list the Limit for the team-leader, but not for the assistant.
p.257 Diagnostics give sprites a [Data Processing] limit on the sprite's assist test.
p.300 Group Summoning have a -2 mod on the assist test if from different traditions.
p.418 Fencing Gear list the option to use availability in a teamwork test.

...all other reference to teamwork test point back to p.49 (or p.188 if it is a Melee Teamwork test).

davesignal

• Newb
« Reply #526 on: <08-30-13/1220:43> »
Building on the above:
Q: Can you make a teamwork test for matrix actions?
Q: Do you receive the +2 bonus for hot-sim VR on a teamwork test for matrix actions?
Q: Can Technomancer Sprites be tasked to perform or benefit from teamwork tests for skills they posses?
« Last Edit: <08-30-13/1222:19> by davesignal »

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #527 on: <08-30-13/1223:06> »
I'll jump in as well:

Q: Outside of Group Summoning and the Ritual Sealing Test, can a Magical skill benefit from teamwork? If so, do the assistants resist drain as in both the known examples of Magic Teamwork?
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #528 on: <08-30-13/1652:00> »
Q: The entry for the homunculus states that it derives its Body attribute from the structure rating of the material from which it is produced. Does it also gain any armor benefit from its material base or does it have to resist all damage with, in all likelihood, a single digit value?
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #529 on: <08-30-13/1759:06> »
While Synaptic boosters "cannot be combined with any other form of Reaction or Initiative enhancement", the restriction for Wired Reflexes is that they "are incompatible with augmentations that affect Reaction or Initiative". On the magical side, while the Improved Reflexes power  says "the increase cannot be combined with other technological or magical increases  to Initiative", the Increase Reflexes spell doesn't say it's incompatible with anything except itself.
Does this mean Wired Reflexes and the Increase Reflexes can stack, since neither says it's incompatible with the other, or is this simply another phrasing mistake?

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #530 on: <08-30-13/1802:10> »
Actually check the note on 159.

Initiative determines the order in which characters act,
as well as how often they act during a single Combat
Turn. Initiative is based on three factors: Initiative Attribute,
Initiative Score, and Initiative Dice.

Initiative is the more inclusive usage.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #531 on: <08-30-13/1814:35> »

Initiative determines the order in which characters act, as well as how often they act during a single Combat Turn. Initiative is based on three factors: Initiative Attribute, Initiative Score, and Initiative Dice.
Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't tell me I should FAQ something if you're only going to tell me it didn't need to be FAQ'd when I FAQ it.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #532 on: <08-30-13/1850:15> »

Initiative determines the order in which characters act, as well as how often they act during a single Combat Turn. Initiative is based on three factors: Initiative Attribute, Initiative Score, and Initiative Dice.
Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't tell me I should FAQ something if you're only going to tell me it didn't need to be FAQ'd when I FAQ it.

Sorry, I didn't find the reference until after you had posted here and thought it would be rude not to mention it.

I took your question seriously, did some reading and found something I thought was on point. I'm not sure how I offended you but i apologize.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #533 on: <08-30-13/2127:39> »
increase reflexes, adrenaline boost, increase attribute (reaction), increase attribute (intuition), improved physical attribute (reaction), attribute boost (reaction) and suprathyroid gland all stack with each other (but increase reflexes does not stack with another increase reflexes spell). they all also stack with the reaction part of improved reflexes for everything except initiative.

wired reflexes and reaction enhancers both stack with each other, but only if both are wireless ON. They are both incompatible with everything else.

synaptic booster is incompatible with everything.

deek

• Newb
« Reply #534 on: <08-30-13/2326:58> »
page 197
If the barrier between the attacker and defender is transparent, like
bullet resistant glass, there is no cover or obstruction to
sight, but the attack must penetrate the barrier to reach
the defender (see Penetration Weapons, p. 198).

If the barrier takes the hit first, the gamemaster rolls
Structure + Armor to resist the damage, and the structure
takes any unresisted damage. If the Structure rating
is exceeded by the damage it suffers, any remaining
damage is transferred to the target behind the barrier.

Can you clarify if the resistance test in the second paragraph is always rolled when the barrier takes the hit first or only when it is NOT hit by a penetration weapon? The example on page 198 implies that with a penetration weapon, there is no resistance roll, per se, just the barrier taking damage based on the number of bullets.

Also, I am assuming the target always gets to soak whatever damage makes its way through the barrier, but please confirm.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #535 on: <08-31-13/0500:11> »
Penetration Weapons do auto-damage, as it says on page 198, and most damage breaks through. The second part of the rules you quoted are more for hitting through with blasts, punches and such.

By the way, the example appears incorrect. Since he fires in Full Auto, the barrier would take 3 (for 6) or 4 (for 10) damage, not 1 box of damage. Someone reported that in the Errata topic a month ago.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #536 on: <08-31-13/0506:18> »
Please keep personal interpretations on debated issues out of the FAQ topic. :)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Tagami

• Newb
« Reply #537 on: <08-31-13/0741:57> »
Can you add a commlink (capacity 2) to cybereyes?

deek

• Newb
« Reply #538 on: <08-31-13/0919:15> »
Thank you for the response. That is the conclusion I drew (about the auto-damage), but it is nice to have a second opinion that gives me confidence.

Aaron

« Reply #539 on: <08-31-13/1018:04> »
Question About Casting Multiple Spells:

Step 1 under Spellcasting describes Casting Multiple Spells. It basically works the same way as dual wielding weapons (splitting the Spellcasting + Magic dice pool in this case), save for modifiers:
Quote from: SR5, pg.281
Since the modifers per spell may be different, they are applied after you split the dice pool.
Does this apply to ALL modifiers? Specifically, I am trying to figure out how bonus dice from Specialization, Mentor Spirits, and Foci would fit in here.

By the book and barring errata, the only pool you split is the Spellcasting + Magic pool.

Q: Do the assistant(s) test in a teamwork test use modifiers?

Q: Do the assistant(s) test in a teamwork test use a limit?

Yes and yes. The test for the assistants is basically the same as the test for the leader.

Building on the above:
Q: Can you make a teamwork test for matrix actions?
Q: Do you receive the +2 bonus for hot-sim VR on a teamwork test for matrix actions?
Q: Can Technomancer Sprites be tasked to perform or benefit from teamwork tests for skills they posses?

Yes, yes, and yes.

I'll jump in as well:

Q: Outside of Group Summoning and the Ritual Sealing Test, can a Magical skill benefit from teamwork? If so, do the assistants resist drain as in both the known examples of Magic Teamwork?

Good question. Not per the current rules. I can see a case made for teamwork tests on dispelling or Enchanting Skill Group skills, though.

Q: The entry for the homunculus states that it derives its Body attribute from the structure rating of the material from which it is produced. Does it also gain any armor benefit from its material base or does it have to resist all damage with, in all likelihood, a single digit value?

Minions don't have armor. The material of a homunculus is tougher than the homunculus itself. In other words, much like living creatures, you can kill them without completely destroying the body.

While Synaptic boosters "cannot be combined with any other form of Reaction or Initiative enhancement", the restriction for Wired Reflexes is that they "are incompatible with augmentations that affect Reaction or Initiative". On the magical side, while the Improved Reflexes power  says "the increase cannot be combined with other technological or magical increases  to Initiative", the Increase Reflexes spell doesn't say it's incompatible with anything except itself.
Does this mean Wired Reflexes and the Increase Reflexes can stack, since neither says it's incompatible with the other, or is this simply another phrasing mistake?

Yes.