NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Aaron

« Reply #450 on: <08-23-13/1618:01> »
How does that mesh with the rules for remote gunnery which (in all but one place) specify logic + gunnery for remote firing?

It doesn't, but I think that's a typo. Sensor targeting uses Logic, remote targeting uses the normal attribute and skill like every other remote operation.

Question: Can I take a Device Rating 6 Commlink, run a cable to some of my ware / devices, an then use the Commlink as a router in o rder to protect from Jammers shutting off my wireless bonuses?

No. Each device is considered separately in the core rules. A data cable only allows one device (or persona running on that device) to ignore noise modifiers when targeting the other device.

How does a Sleep Regulator work with someone who has the Insomnia negative quality?

The Insomnia quality is about healing Stun boxes through rest, and the sleep regulator explicitly doesn't affect healing. In other words, you get to have crappy sleep whenever you want it.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #451 on: <08-23-13/1628:56> »

It doesn't, but I think that's a typo. Sensor targeting uses Logic, remote targeting uses the normal attribute and skill like every other remote operation.

How exactly do you do drone targeting without sensors?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #452 on: <08-23-13/1649:09> »
At what point during the character creation process do you adjust your Essence (thereby losing Magic/Resonance and max Magic/Resonance as well)? Is it, say, possible to start with 2 Magic, lose 4 due to Essence Loss bought in Step Six, then use 5 Karma during Step Seven to raise your Magic back to 1 (as Magic users can still raise their Magic through Karma as long as their maximum Magic isn't 0), thereby essentially getting 2 of the Magic points lost to Essence loss for "free"? If not, would it be possible if you wait until character advancement to buy up your Magic?

Veggiesama

• Newb
« Reply #453 on: <08-23-13/2001:31> »
How does that mesh with the rules for remote gunnery which (in all but one place) specify logic + gunnery for remote firing?

I have to object to this. First, remote control is different from rigger control. Remote control is described as a video game, while rigger control is direct neural interface. Jumped-in riggers use Intuition for Sneaking rolls, not Agility.

Second, Riggers are already relying on Reaction, Willpower, Intuition, and Logic for doing everything else, plus they actually have to possess the necessary skills. Why add Agility to the list? At this point, what benefit exactly does a rigger get from rigging, as opposed to just walking out there and doing it himself?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #454 on: <08-23-13/2105:26> »
Please ask questions in the FAQ thread. This thread is reserved for stated clarifications only.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #455 on: <08-24-13/0137:02> »
If that katana has a built-in accelerometer, location system, etc. one could argue that a machine sprite could help use it by superimposing helpful data on an AR display. Think the old Star Wars Trilogy Arcade game, in the fights against Boba Fett and Darth Vader.

Oooooooo! Can we have that, please?! Combine that with Move by Wire, even?

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #456 on: <08-24-13/0631:10> »
RePosted from [SR5] Rules Clarifications:
The difference between the rules on page 250 and 287 where Resonance ever reaching zero causes burnout of technomancer abilities and Max Magic reaching zero causes burnout of magical abilities does prompt me to ask if this was intended. p250 also does not seem to take in to account the possibility of having exceptional Resonance attribute positive quality ether.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #457 on: <08-24-13/0718:49> »
...also does not seem to take in to account the possibility of having exceptional Resonance attribute positive quality ether.
Your natural Resonance maximum is your Essence rounded down.
Whenever you lose Essence (post chargen) you lose an eq
Your natural Resonance maximum is increased by one for each Submersion grade.
Exceptional attribute let you raise your attribute above your natural maximum.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #458 on: <08-24-13/0726:33> »
The difference between the rules on page 250 and 287 where Resonance ever reaching zero causes burnout of technomancer abilities and Max Magic reaching zero causes burnout of magical abilities does prompt me to ask if this was intended.
p.250 state that you lose your "Technomancer quality" if your resonance reach zero. In SR5 Technomancer is no longer a quality, so this part need an errata in any case.

...also does not seem to take in to account the possibility of having exceptional Resonance attribute positive quality ether.
Not sure I understand what you are hinting at here. Can you explain?

Your natural Resonance maximum is your Essence rounded down.
Your natural Resonance maximum is increased by one for each Submersion grade.
Exceptional attribute let you raise your attribute above your natural attribute maximum.

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #459 on: <08-24-13/0752:35> »
The difference between the rules on page 250 and 287 where Resonance ever reaching zero causes burnout of technomancer abilities and Max Magic reaching zero causes burnout of magical abilities does prompt me to ask if this was intended.
p.250 state that you lose your "Technomancer quality" if your resonance reach zero. In SR5 Technomancer is no longer a quality, so this part need an errata in any case.

Not sure I understand what you are hinting at here. Can you explain?
I read Exceptional Attribute as raising the natural maximum for an attribute by one.
p287 talks about only ceasing to be an awakened character if your max reaches zero.
p250 does not seem to consider that the natural max for your Resonance could be above your essence.
When I was last playing Shadowrun (before 5th edition) I was using second edition where the magic stat started equal to your essence and could only go down from there (until they introduce initiation) .
p250 was reading more like how special attributes worked in second edition than how they where working in the rest of the book.
So I was wondering if that section on page 250 was out of date and needed errata. (Xenon has spotted another pointer to this)
(my poor health is effecting my writing)

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #460 on: <08-24-13/0802:57> »
It let you exceed natural maximum. On phone atm.
« Last Edit: <08-24-13/0940:54> by Xenon »

Aaron

« Reply #461 on: <08-24-13/1010:17> »
How exactly do you do drone targeting without sensors?

Didn't say you didn't, but there's a difference between using sensors to target and using sensor targeting (p. 184).

At what point during the character creation process do you adjust your Essence (thereby losing Magic/Resonance and max Magic/Resonance as well)? Is it, say, possible to start with 2 Magic, lose 4 due to Essence Loss bought in Step Six, then use 5 Karma during Step Seven to raise your Magic back to 1 (as Magic users can still raise their Magic through Karma as long as their maximum Magic isn't 0), thereby essentially getting 2 of the Magic points lost to Essence loss for "free"? If not, would it be possible if you wait until character advancement to buy up your Magic?

That's a very good question. I think you can do it the way you describe. Even if you couldn't, you can still raise it during character advancement as long as you still have a maximum Magic rating better than zero.

And yes, this does seem to be a difference between Magic and Resonance. The two are, after all, different to the point of being mutually exclusive.

I have to object to this. First, remote control is different from rigger control. Remote control is described as a video game, while rigger control is direct neural interface. Jumped-in riggers use Intuition for Sneaking rolls, not Agility.

That is correct. Also, forgive me for pointing out that a specific rule doesn't always indicate a general one.

Second, Riggers are already relying on Reaction, Willpower, Intuition, and Logic for doing everything else, plus they actually have to possess the necessary skills. Why add Agility to the list? At this point, what benefit exactly does a rigger get from rigging, as opposed to just walking out there and doing it himself?

If it helps, you can always use sensor targeting (p. 184) to do your shooting, which uses Logic instead of Agility. You never actually have to fire a shot with Agility if you don't care to do so.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #462 on: <08-24-13/2030:28> »
Does the Exceptional Attribute Quality raise your natural maximum for said attribute by 1, or does it only allow you to raise your natural attribute 1 beyond it, while not actually increasing your natural maximum? (This matters for burning out on Magic, and cyberlimbs.)

Raiden

• Omae
« Reply #463 on: <08-24-13/2036:19> »
natural max- 1/6 with exp. attribute- 1/7. only lets you raise it one extra. meta-genetic improvement from SR4 does what you are talking about.
speech
Matrix
Actions
Thoughts

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #464 on: <08-24-13/2043:54> »
Actually, in SR4A, Exceptional Attribute explicitly states it increases your natural maximum for 1 attribute by 1 beyond your metatype's, while SR5 is a bit more vague about it.