NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #435 on: <08-23-13/0959:17> »
Note that this only work if you plan on leaving chargen with a very low magic rating (max 3 i guess). A very powerful advantage of going [physical] adept is that you can start with improved reflex 3 (or improved reflexes 2 and a focus 4 qi focus with improved reflexes to give you 3) - but this require that you to leave chargen with magic rating 4+

Also note that special attribute points from metatype are wasted if you allocate them to magic rating if you plan on doing this. You can still place them in Edge (or you might pick an even lower metatype priority that have less special attribute points to allocate).
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of EBDCA or EADCB, using 'ware to get the extra IPs (since you can burn through up to 4 Essence, Wired Reflexes 2 is a possibility, and with 275k or 450k in Resources, so is Synaptic Booster 2), buying Magic up to 2 in Step Seven, using 1.5 PP for Improved Ability 3 and having 0.5 PP left. Then once you improve that skill to a natural Level 9 for 14+16+18 = 48 Karma, you can Initiate for 13 Karma for the Metamagic PP, spend it on 2 levels of Improved Ability, and have an effective skill rating of 14.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #436 on: <08-23-13/1016:25> »
Except that the Adept version of Improved Reflexes is vastly cheaper and more available than the Sam version. If going augmented Adept makes sense it is almost certainly for Muscle Replacement/Toner or Aug or Bone Lacing/Density Augmentation.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #437 on: <08-23-13/1024:39> »
For a regular Augmented Adept, yes: not so much for a buy-Magic-up-from-0-in-Step-Seven Adept.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #438 on: <08-23-13/1028:58> »
The implication of the chargen section is that order of operations is not as strict as that for the chargern process. See the example of the character exceptional attribute who raises his stat to 7 in the attribute buying phase even though by Order of Operations that would happen before the quality existed (The strict OO reading would require the character to buy the attribute from 6 to 7 with Karma).

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #439 on: <08-23-13/1035:06> »
I know the steps are fluid, and I have argued so in the past, but I'm pretty sure Step Seven is at the end: otherwise, people could spend 2 Karma to buy a skill at level 1, then use Skill Points to raise that skill to 6.

Aaron

« Reply #440 on: <08-23-13/1202:13> »
Forgive my curiosity, but how do you figure technomancers have fewer dice? They get the same attribute and skill options as deckers get. And it's possible for a technomancer to start with 6 5 5 5 for Matrix attributes, while a decker is generally limited to 5 4 4 2. What am I missing?

The general argument is that hackers can more easily get higher skill and attribute priorities (while not needing to allocate as many attributes or skills), and can combine that with the ability to directly augment their most important attribute.  And seeing as Matrix Attributes don't give you any dice...

That, and they're not going to be running on the CM penalties that technomancers will be.

That's an interesting argument. What about the idea that deckers need their Resources priority to contend with while technomancers have their Resonance priority?

...But does that mean according to Aaron that I can diagnose my katana and gain several bonus dices to attack?? ... that doesnt seem right. And those muscle replacements are still wireless cabable devices, so they should also work.... I think I will houserule, that one cant do that.

This thread did raise a whole new questionfor me though.
I cant run diagnostics on my commlink or deck when Im using it (as the device gets merged with my persona) but I can still run diagnostics on them if I were to repair them, seems fair enough. BUT what happens if I slave the deck to my commlink? (for the good old classical firewall master stat, leaving the cyberdeck with its 3 highest ratings on attack, sleaze and response)
Is it A) I can only use one persona at a time, and therefore NOT use the cyberdeck at all, I would have to switch persona (and loosing the commlinks superior firewall ,if I wanted to hack) and not be able to gain diagnostic power on my comm\deck
or B) The commlink is my persona, and therefore cant be diagnosed. The deck is a slaved device to my commlink (gaining its firewall) and therefore shows up as a device, making it elligible for the diagnostic anyway, And I can still use it to hack with, as its a slaved device.?

B) seems like it just totally ignored the limitation put on by diagnostics, making a technomancer backed decker nasty (and using shenanigans like the commlinks superior and cheaper firewall)

You can only use one persona at a time, that's one thing. Also, slaving doesn't create some Frankenstein's Deck, it just lets you borrow ratings for defense, so the deck is still a deck and the commlink is still a commlink and they're both separate devices.

After rereading some sections in the book, you are ofcourse correct ZeConster.
The katana is not an electronic device, but it has an inbuilt computer; that takes care of informing you when its in need of a rub down with an oilcloth (with oil produced by its own manufactors ofcourse), when it needs sharpening, general stress built up, storing your favorite anime series, registration numbers for your legal or fake permit and contact and adress information on its manufactors, a weapon ARO in AR and lastly where you can buy a matching wakasashi.  Bricking that computer wouldnt do squat to the lethality of the sword, but I guess using the sprites diagnostic would help you maintain\repair it.
(but bricking its computer makes its completely invisible in the matrix)

But if one where to ramp up the engine in the vibro sword, it could get really nasty

If that katana has a built-in accelerometer, location system, etc. one could argue that a machine sprite could help use it by superimposing helpful data on an AR display. Think the old Star Wars Trilogy Arcade game, in the fights against Boba Fett and Darth Vader.

Q Can you have a negative essence in SR5?
and a follow up on that
Q What happens when you reach 0 essence in SR5?

The SR5 rule book does not answer this as far as I can see.

In previous editions you died or turned into a cyberzombie if you reached 0.00 essence.
I guess RAI is the same for SR5....

While it is described in Essence Drain that you die at Essence 0, the description of Essence in the Concepts chapter describes it as a "cap," which suggests you can get to zero safely. I'll run this by The Powers That Be for clarification, but I'm confident that Essence 0 = dead runner.

Set data bomb p.242
(complex Action)
Marks Required: 1
Test: Software + Logic [Sleaze] v. (Device Rating x 2)

There is a ( ) around Device Rating x 2

Q Should we read this as when you set a bomb on a file that is located in your own cyberdeck it will not try to resist you?

Generally speaking, the target's owner can choose not to defend against a Matrix action.

Based on your answers, people are now trying to rule that Machine Sprites can be used on Muscle Replacement to get the bonus to any strength/agility roll, Skillwires to get the bonus to Software, Skilljacks, and pretty much every single diceroll in the entire game.

Please tell me that was an unforeseen consequence, and that Machine Sprites are not supposed to use Diagnostics on everyone from the melee street samurai to the Decker's skillwires?

I could tell you that, but that wouldn't make it so. If it helps, a device that can be aided by a machine sprite can also be bricked.
« Last Edit: <08-23-13/1209:10> by Aaron »

Aaron

« Reply #441 on: <08-23-13/1207:40> »
What attribute does a jumpedin rigger use when cutting down nosy corp kids with his ares duelist? is it logic+blades or agility+blades? what about other physical linked skills like palming?

Blades + Agility for cutting down noisy corp kids, Palming + Agility for masterful acts of legerdemain.

Anticipating your next question, meat or drone it's all coming from the same motor cortex and brain stem. =i)

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #442 on: <08-23-13/1212:15> »
What attribute does a jumpedin rigger use when cutting down nosy corp kids with his ares duelist? is it logic+blades or agility+blades? what about other physical linked skills like palming?

Blades + Agility for cutting down noisy corp kids, Palming + Agility for masterful acts of legerdemain.

Anticipating your next question, meat or drone it's all coming from the same motor cortex and brain stem. =i)

How does that mesh with the rules for remote gunnery which (in all but one place) specify logic + gunnery for remote firing?

MrPendragon

• Newb
« Reply #443 on: <08-23-13/1409:36> »
On page 52 is says “Each character starts with an Essence rating of 6, and it acts as a cap on the amount of alterations you can adopt. When it’s gone, it doesn’t come back.”

My question is if you start with Cyberware giving you a -5 to your essence if you later upgrade your Cyberware to deltaware would you get back some of your essence or are you just never able to get anymore or better cyberware?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #444 on: <08-23-13/1414:19> »
I think Essence Holes (which can be filled with new 'ware) are in the errata.

SoulGambit

• Omae
« Reply #445 on: <08-23-13/1424:39> »
Aaron,

Phew. Data Tap was in the important thing, that means Technomancers can play with the big boys. The Persona / Icon split is interesting, and something I was not aware of. This also implies that a Persona must always use its own stats when defending except when part of a PAN, which clears up another bit of dissonance I was having.

Regarding dicepools, you're missing a few things. That said, before diving into this, I want to make things clear--I'm comparing a Living Persona hacking something in a mundane fashion to a Decker hacking something in a mundane fashion. Technomancers have Resonance Abilities on top of that, and I'll discuss that at the end.

First, a Decker can slave their Deck to their 5k Commlink and then put that 2 into Firewall. This immediately means their stats are effectively 6 5 4 4. Then stack programs on top of that to increase your stat, or Fork, or what-have-you. The best programs really vary by mission. On top of that, 'ware Deckers have one to three points of Noise Reduction and +2 Logic. The Decker is also more freedom to purchase the Codeslinger quality / specialties, and if they choose to go balls out speccing for Matrix they can get an even better deck--setting their stats above the Living Persona's. On top of that, they have easier access to Wired Reflexes / Reflex Enhancers, which means they have a better initiative in AR mode (arguably the mode you want to be in most often). Going forward, the Decker nabs better Decks with better stats with Nuyen and increases their key skill (likely Hacking) up to 12.

Meanwhile, the Technomancer has absolutely everything competing for their attention. Your example of 6 5 5 5 for stats is only tenable at Priority A. Since we need tons of skills to function as a Hacker, we need Skills at Priority B. That gives us Magic C, Metatype D (Human, everything going into +Resonance) and Nuyen E. That's actually what I'd consider to be the "average" Technomancer--the example in the book is pretty close to this. Grab a 6 in the relevant Skills (7 Skills, to the Hacker's 4 or 5). Technomancers are actually fantastic at defense because of Infusion of [Willpower / Sleaze], but they want Focused Concentration 5 or 6 to run it reliably (they're also choosing to protect themselves -or- their team's devices, no both).  We'll need 5~10 Karma in Nuyen on top of that just to be a contributing member of (Shadowrun) Society. We're hyper-Matrix focused, so lets nab Codeslinger on top of that for 44 Karma in qualities, leaving 6 to spend on Complex Forms, Sprites, and fleshing out the character. And... done.

2 Edge compared to the Decker's 5; 16 Dice compared to the Decker's 18; 8+1d6 AR (10+1d6 with enough dumpstats) Initiative to the Decker's 9+2d6 (or 14+2d6 if they really care); 10+3d6 VR Initiative vs the Decker's 9+3d6; 0 Noise Reduction to the Decker's 1 to 3; No DNI vs the Decker's DNI; No Satellite Uplink vs the Decker's Satellite Uplink; 6 5 5 5 Matrix stats vs the Decker's 6 5 4 4; No Programs vs Decker's Programs; Wound Penalties in a pure Matrix situation vs the Decker's no Wound Penalties in a pure Matrix situation. Going forward the Technomancer has a choice between getting Resonance stuff, Programs through Submerging, and increasing their key skill, meaning they are more likely to fall behind.

It's not really one thing. Its just that the Technomancer feels just mildly subpar and have fewer options in every area except Infusion of [Firewall / Sleaze]. The real turn of the blade, though? That's a Combat Decker. That Decker is going to be useful in situations outside of the Matrix, while the Technomancer is almost completely focused. A focused Decker could go Nuyen A, Attributes B, Skills C, Metatype D, Magic E if they want to focus even more (and even then they wind up more versatile than the Technomancer). A Chrome Adept Decker can go Attributes A, Magic B, Nuyen C and then split D and E between their Metatype and Skills (picking up the slack with Adept) and outdo either the presented Technomancer or the Combat Decker.

Now, Technomancers do have Resonance powers. But that circles back to my previous statement that the game discourages a classical Hacking Technomancer over one who just sends Sprites out while supporting with the occasional Complex Form. Its fewer Skills, you and drop Logic and Charisma down to 3 each, freeing up Priority A, and ultimately your Sprites are going to do a better job than you anyways.

All of that said, I hadn't realized Machine Sprites work on Skillwires when I made my previous post. Skillwires bring a classical hacking Technomancer back up to snuff at the cost of being mutually exclusive with spending Edge (a huge blow... but you -do- have Sprites). So... Skillwires fix to the rescue?

SoulGambit

• Omae
« Reply #446 on: <08-23-13/1428:52> »
Question: Can I take a Device Rating 6 Commlink, run a cable to some of my ware / devices, an then use the Commlink as a router in o rder to protect from Jammers shutting off my wireless bonuses?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #447 on: <08-23-13/1431:19> »
First, a Decker can slave their Deck to their 5k Commlink and then put that 2 into Firewall.
This let you use 6 for firewall when defending.
You still only have a [Firewall] limit of 2 when you for example try to disarm a data bomb or jack out.

Question: Can I take a Device Rating 6 Commlink, run a cable to some of my ware / devices, an then use the Commlink as a router in o rder to protect from Jammers shutting off my wireless bonuses?
To keep your wireless bonus, no.
(While yes - you still have access to the Matrix; No - Your device is no longer wireless, it is wired)

To give more protection against jammers, yes
(riggers often connect their remote control device to their RCC with a direct universal access connector cable to avoid noise)
« Last Edit: <08-23-13/1453:49> by Xenon »

SoulGambit

• Omae
« Reply #448 on: <08-23-13/1448:43> »
Defending  is 90% of your uses for Firewall. If you need to perform either of those actions you can swap in your 5. Deckers have their best rating in whatever they are rolling right now. Also, the Technomancer's 6 is in Data Processing unless they want to eat -1 to Matrix Actions relative to the Decker, meaning that 5 is equal to what the Technomancer has.

« Last Edit: <08-23-13/1452:17> by SoulGambit »

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #449 on: <08-23-13/1612:00> »
How does a Sleep Regulator work with someone who has the Insomnia negative quality?