NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #375 on: <08-18-13/0724:21> »
I would like to request a rules clarification.
Other than having onlly one attribute at natural attribute limit, skills being restricted to level 6 and gear being restricted to it items with as Device Rating of of 6 or less or an Availability of 12 or less, are there any other limits as to what players can spend there leftover karma on during step seven of character creation? This came up when one of my players asked if they could start of with an Initiate grade of 1. I don't know if I have missed this somewhere in the character creation and magic sections. Another player then asked about submersion grade 2 for there starting tecnomancer as they where very interested in the Mind over Machine echo for there drone "rigging" tecnomancer character concept along with Resonance Signal Scrub echo.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #376 on: <08-18-13/0727:00> »
Initiation and Submerging are not available at chargen. The spending-karma section mentions a few things that are, in combination with the table (which lists limits on things such as spells) it should be an exhaustive list.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #377 on: <08-18-13/1716:27> »
Bone Lacing gives extra Body for resisting physical damage. This means that RAW it won't add to your Body when an attack doesn't pierce your armor and only does stun damage, thus only applying the armor portion to the soak test. Just to be sure, this is RAI right?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #378 on: <08-18-13/2049:38> »
Not sure I follow. If you get net hits, that means you got more hits than the defender, so you hit them, which means they can't evade the grenade. If, on the other hand, your attack roll doesn't beat their defense roll (you get the same amount of hits as they do, or they get more), the grenade scatters the full XD6 meters (1D6 if thrown, 2D6 if thrown and aerodynamic, 3D6 if fired from a grenade launcher) before exploding, and that amount of scatter will be how far the direct target is from the grenade when it explodes.

sylanna

• Newb
« Reply #379 on: <08-18-13/2109:54> »
Damn you are right...I overread the "net"...I should sleep before posting><

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #380 on: <08-19-13/0256:50> »
Is it possible at character creation to buy with Karma bound spirits of other traditions? It strikes me as cheezy, but I failed to find anything against it in the book...

Thank's in advance!
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #381 on: <08-19-13/0315:21> »
Is it possible at character creation to buy with Karma bound spirits of other traditions? It strikes me as cheezy, but I failed to find anything against it in the book...

Thank's in advance!

You can't summon, let alone bind, a spirit of a different tradition.

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #382 on: <08-19-13/0325:24> »

But check this out:

Quote from: SR5, p.301
If you (or another magician) has an action before the spirit departs, you can use Summoning (p. 300) to try to get it to owe you some services. It doesn’t matter what type the spirit is or which tradition you are in this case, since it’s already out and available.

After you "summon" a spirit in this fashion, what's stopping you from binding it?

On that logic my player bought a shiny fire elemental for his shaman...
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #383 on: <08-19-13/0445:00> »
Since Agents and IC are counted as having Hot-Sim VR for the purpose of their initiative, do they also get the +2 dice pool bonus on Matrix Actions for everything they do?

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #384 on: <08-19-13/0734:02> »
But check this out:
Quote from: SR5, p.301
If you (or another magician) has an action before the spirit departs, you can use Summoning (p. 300) to try to get it to owe you some services. It doesn’t matter what type the spirit is or which tradition you are in this case, since it’s already out and available.
After you "summon" a spirit in this fashion, what's stopping you from binding it?

On that logic my player bought a shiny fire elemental for his shaman...
"I summoned and bound a spirit that was banished" is very nice and all to do during gameplay, but it sounds definitely icky to put that in your character creation process.

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #385 on: <08-19-13/0806:32> »
"I summoned and bound a spirit that was banished" is very nice and all to do during gameplay, but it sounds definitely icky to put that in your character creation process.

I know, right :-) But I really hope there is something in the rules against it.

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #386 on: <08-19-13/0959:15> »
Will spirits spend Edge to resist being summoned or bound?

They -definitely- can't if they're Bound, as the rules explicitly state they don't have (or use) their Edge pools once Summoned. Whether they do while being summoned remains to be seen, I guess.

Raiden

• Omae
« Reply #387 on: <08-19-13/1537:14> »
can you have multiple stats at 6 (nat max for humans) out of chargen? I ask because the sample character TM (or the example TM they use through out the char building sections) has both a logic 6 and a intuition of 6 (data processing and sleaze respectively)
speech
Matrix
Actions
Thoughts

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #388 on: <08-19-13/1640:25> »
can you have multiple stats at 6 (nat max for humans) out of chargen? I ask because the sample character TM (or the example TM they use through out the char building sections) has both a logic 6 and a intuition of 6 (data processing and sleaze respectively)
Huh? Mega Pulse has 4 Logic and 4 Intuition, so those numbers for his Living Persona are wrong - in fact, it seems four of the five Living Persona attributes are actually two higher than the corresponding Mental stat (Device Rating is 6, which equals his Resonance). No idea what that is about, since I haven't read the Technomancer chapter yet.
And no, page 66 says you can only have 1 of your Mental and Physical attributes at their natural max at chargen.

MaxKojote

• Omae
« Reply #389 on: <08-19-13/1747:49> »
Huh? Mega Pulse has 4 Logic and 4 Intuition, so those numbers for his Living Persona are wrong - in fact, it seems four of the five Living Persona attributes are actually two higher than the corresponding Mental stat (Device Rating is 6, which equals his Resonance). No idea what that is about, since I haven't read the Technomancer chapter yet.
And no, page 66 says you can only have 1 of your Mental and Physical attributes at their natural max at chargen.

It's probably an error. The living persona still works directly off the mental attributes until you get some appropriate Echoes.
Spoken
Thoughts
Matrix
Astral

Fang (Auburn Logrolling)