NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Raiden

• Omae
« Reply #345 on: <08-15-13/1043:40> »
try to think of it as not being augmented. the arm has a max of the nat. max of the metatype it was made for, you can then add +3 to that.
speech
Matrix
Actions
Thoughts

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #346 on: <08-15-13/1053:05> »
try to think of it as not being augmented. the arm has a max of the nat. max of the metatype it was made for, you can then add +3 to that.

I understand the argument I just find it unconvincing. If Aaron is using his Catalysyt hat and that's the official answer I'll just have to house rule it in my games, but you can already see the Agi 1(9) cyberlimb becoming de rigeur over in the chargen forum.

The reason for that is that it's an ill considered and broken port over from SR4 and completely out of sync with all of the other ways in which SR5 handles augmentation.

Raiden

• Omae
« Reply #347 on: <08-15-13/1110:02> »
in ways yes, but its very essence costly and nuyen costly. remeber, even if they get 3 limbs there average agi (running, climbing, swimming, jumping, melee, everything besides shooting and other things) are averaged out. its not (9) for everything, sneaking, with 2 cyber arms is like 4- agi
speech
Matrix
Actions
Thoughts

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #348 on: <08-15-13/1114:00> »
We should probably move the debate out of the FAQ thread if we're going to have it.

If Aaron is still around I would like to know if that was a developer level answer or just his reading but other than that I think we should move the conversation.

corrected for typos
« Last Edit: <08-15-13/1243:07> by Crunch »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #349 on: <08-15-13/1239:41> »
Yes, but only for activities that involve only the limb in question, and your Physical limit is unchanged.

So basically with all the changes that were made, one of the few things that actually needed fixing didn't get touched? *facepalm*
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #350 on: <08-15-13/1507:59> »
Q: Does your inherent recoil compensation use solely your body's (so not your cyberlimb's) Strength?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Palladion

• Chummer
« Reply #351 on: <08-15-13/1807:42> »
Would an adept with cybereyes still benefit from Improved Sense (Low-Light Vision) et al?
P A L L A D I O N

Raiden

• Omae
« Reply #352 on: <08-16-13/0215:49> »
Does the -2 for being on a public server also count against defense tests?
speech
Matrix
Actions
Thoughts

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #353 on: <08-16-13/0529:58> »
On the forums there seem to be some confusion about grenades and how aoe work. For once I think the rules are pretty straight forward, but I think it is best to post it here anyway. The actual question is:

Q: Do defenders get to roll against an AoE?

No for dodging, yes for damage resistance (excluding direct combat spells, of course).

For grenades specifically, if the guy shooting at you is using a motion sensor trigger, then you get to dodge normally because she's trying to hit you. As a side note, the motion sensor on grenades is a full-stop (or mostly-full-stop) kind of detector, so just grazing your target or skipping a grenade off of the ground won't set it off in this triggering mode.

Aaron, if I understand properly this post as well as some other you did before:
   - there is no defense test for grenades with timer: the defender should be able to act between the moment the grenade lands and when it explodes --> clear
   - there is a defense test for motion sensor trigger grenades. My understanding of your answers is that we consider that the attacker is trying to do a "direct hit", so a defense test apply as for a regular bullet. As you are "dodging" the grenade before it explodes, the AOE defense modifier does not apply (you state in another post that it an error leftover from SR4). In that case, I assume the attacker only needs to score more success than the defending character to hit, if the opposed test is lost by the attacker then we roll for scatter. Can you confirm all that sentence?

What about AOE indirect spells, it is said that they are handled as grenades but:
   - they cannot be handled as timer grenades because they explode immediatly
   - they cannot be handled as motion sensor trigger grenades, as I understand there is no defense roll
   - they obviously cannot be handled as wireless grenades
So my understanding is that:
   - there is no defense roll
   - in case the caster rolls less that 3 success then the spell scatter (but the damage is constant over the entire radius, correct?)
   - in case the caster rolls 3 or more success, each success above 3 increase the damage value
So unlike grenades, there is nothing the target can do, except resist damages. Can conterspelling help in resisting damages?

One other question regarding Wireless link: it is  stated that "this method also reduce scatter" but without any information about how much it reduces scatter. Can you please clarify?

Furthermore, can you confirm that the following points will be errated (to match what you explained):
Quote from: SR5, Ranged combat paragraph, p. 173
Ranged combat is determined with an Opposed Test between the attacker’s Weapon Skill + Agility [Accuracy] vs. the defender’s Reaction + Intuition. Net hits are applied to the weapons DV or used to reduce scatter in the case of thrown weapons and launched weapons.
--> It clearly states that thrown grenades and grenade launcher use an opposed test., which is not the case

Quote from: SR5, Defending in combat section (p. 188)[/quote
Targeted by an Area-Effect Attack Dodging explosions is not as easy as it seems in the movies. Apply a –2 modifier when trying to defend against weapons like spells, grenades, rockets, or missiles with a blast or area effect.
--> you stated previously that it was a leftover from SR4.
« Last Edit: <08-16-13/0542:43> by Carmody »
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Aaron

« Reply #354 on: <08-16-13/0947:57> »
Yes, but only for activities that involve only the limb in question, and your Physical limit is unchanged.

How official is that answer Aaron (ie are you speaking with your Catalyst hat on or just as Aaron), because Agility 1 (9) doesn't feel like an SR5 concept to me.

I don't have a Catalyst hat; check the signature.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #355 on: <08-16-13/0949:34> »
Thanks for the clarification.

Aaron

« Reply #356 on: <08-16-13/1010:25> »
We should probably move the debate out of the FAQ thread if we're going to have it.

If Aaron is still around I would like to know if that was a developer level answer or just his reading but other than that I think we should move the conversation.

Yes, debate should happen in another topic. I'd be happy to talk about cyberlimbs or what-have-you there. Thanks.

I can't give you a developer-level answer. Shadowrun only has one developer: the esteemed Mr. Jason M. Hardy. I was on the rules committee and I did have a hand in writing and editing the new edition rule book and I am compiling the FAQ for CGL approval, but there's only one really real official source, and that's Catalyst. I can tell you how it works as currently written, and I can tell you what I personally think was the intent of each rule, and I can refer people to the possibility of a particular erratum, but that's about it. While I'd like to say that everything that I suggest will eventually be held as official, I don't make that call.

That said, I'm doing my best to give you the most accurate and up-to-date information I'm allowed to give you.

In that case, I assume the attacker only needs to score more success than the defending character to hit, if the opposed test is lost by the attacker then we roll for scatter. Can you confirm all that sentence?

Yes, I can confirm that you assume those things. =i). Seriously: yes, that seems to be the way the rule reads. If you're trying to hit a target with the grenade, they get to dodge.

So my understanding is that:
   - there is no defense roll
   - in case the caster rolls less that 3 success then the spell scatter (but the damage is constant over the entire radius, correct?)
   - in case the caster rolls 3 or more success, each success above 3 increase the damage value
So unlike grenades, there is nothing the target can do, except resist damages. Can conterspelling help in resisting damages?

- Correct.
- Yes.
- Yes.

One other question regarding Wireless link: it is  stated that "this method also reduce scatter" but without any information about how much it reduces scatter. Can you please confirm?

I believe this and the rest of your errata questions have been slated to be looked at for potential errata, but if you want better information please refer to the errata topic (which I would link if I wasn't answering this on a mobile device from Gen Con, so I'm afraid you'll have to look for that yourself; sorry).

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #357 on: <08-16-13/1015:58> »
Q. My Attributes are 1/1/1 in respect to Physical Limit, making my Limit 2. I have one Cyberarm that is 9/9/9. I do an action using only that arm, that requires physical limit. What is my Limit for that roll?

Sorry for asking for so many clarifications Aaron, I really appreciate the help, I am running Fast Food Fight and starting Sprawl Wilds on Sunday, and nerves have me wanting to double check everything.
« Last Edit: <08-16-13/1017:48> by Chrona »

Aaron

« Reply #358 on: <08-16-13/1025:23> »
Q. My Attributes are 1/1/1 in respect to Physical Limit, making my Limit 2. I have one Cyberarm that is 9/9/9. I do an action using only that arm, that requires physical limit. What is my Limit for that roll?

Your limit is 2.

Sorry for asking for so many clarifications Aaron, I really appreciate the help, I am running Fast Food Fight and starting Sprawl Wilds on Sunday, and nerves have me wanting to double check everything.

Glad to help!

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #359 on: <08-16-13/1028:32> »
Let me ask a follow up.

The same character with a 1 Strength Body and Agi gets blown up and has to undergo full body conversion aquiring two cybearms, two legs and a torso. The stats for each limb are Strength 9, Agi 9. Would his limits change then?