• 1699 Replies

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #315 on: <08-14-13/0135:16> »
Firstly, thanks for the answer Aaron.

Secondly, I'd like to point to this passage on Page 223:

"The cyberdeck has advanced electronics and firmware based on reverse-engineered protocols used in Matrix security. In short, a cyberdeck is the tool you need to be a hacker."

The fact is, the Corporate Court and GOD decided that hackers were getting away with too much and decided to implement new security protocols and a new topology to the Matrix.  This is why we have Grids now and why we have a Grid Overwatch Score.  That technology makes hacking impossible without a cyberdeck or Resonance.  Simple as that.  The "reverse-engineered protocols used in Matrix security" refer to the protocols that prevent commlinks from hacking.
« Last Edit: <08-14-13/0138:57> by Namikaze »
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #316 on: <08-14-13/0140:03> »
A much better question, which may have been asked before and I can't find the answer:

Is it possible for a Technomancer to develop Noise Reduction and/or Sharing for drone control?  If so, how?

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #317 on: <08-14-13/0146:11> »
So, if someone were to take an arrowhead and the shaft of the arrow, have them in to different pieces, and then use them as lynchpins to create two different preparations, would they still be considered as two different preparations when reassembled into an arrow?  If so, what happens if the preparation on the arrowhead is Contact activated?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #318 on: <08-14-13/0153:07> »
So, if someone were to take an arrowhead and the shaft of the arrow, have them in to different pieces, and then use them as lynchpins to create two different preparations, would they still be considered as two different preparations when reassembled into an arrow?  If so, what happens if the preparation on the arrowhead is Contact activated?

I suppose that would depend on the preparations, perhaps?  As a GM, I wouldn't have any problem with someone using the arrowhead and the shaft as two different lynchpins.  Just because they're re-attached doesn't mean that would affect their form as a magical object.  If your arrowhead had a Toxic Wave spell tied to it though, it might destroy the shaft (and the preparation with it).

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #319 on: <08-14-13/0155:58> »

I suppose that would depend on the preparations, perhaps?  As a GM, I wouldn't have any problem with someone using the arrowhead and the shaft as two different lynchpins.  Just because they're re-attached doesn't mean that would affect their form as a magical object.  If your arrowhead had a Toxic Wave spell tied to it though, it might destroy the shaft (and the preparation with it).

Other people have been arguing that the act of using them to make the arrow somehow invalidates the preparations (regardless of no RAW stating that).  So I figured I'd raise the question.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #320 on: <08-14-13/0157:50> »
I can see how that would be a dividing point.  I think for rules simplicity the arrow is a single device, the shaft and arrowhead.  But if you're comfortable with that level of detail, I'd go with the two objects = two preparations side of things.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #321 on: <08-14-13/0204:44> »
I can see how that would be a dividing point.  I think for rules simplicity the arrow is a single device, the shaft and arrowhead.  But if you're comfortable with that level of detail, I'd go with the two objects = two preparations side of things.

What I'm looking for here is dev response so I can get a closer sense of what RAI here is.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #322 on: <08-14-13/0512:03> »
Cough. People, if you want to debate things, it might be better to do that in the debate topics themselves, or make your own in the Rules section. This one is for the developers. And going after people because they ask questions you find nonsensical, is kinda a bad thing. It might be they already have an assumed answer but want an official ruling due to a heavy debate on it.

Q: Adrenaline Boost is a Free Action and makes you eat drain the next turn. No limit in use is mentioned. Can you use it in multiple Action Phases in the same Combat Turn? If so, does the drain stack up in one massive drain check, or will it be several independent drain checks?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

sylanna

• Newb
« Reply #323 on: <08-14-13/0631:28> »
How does evading explosives work? If the defender wins a test against a motion triggered grenade (same with vehicle vs missile), will he take no damage at all? Will he jump like 10+ meters away in spaces without obstacles/cover? If he doesn't, he should have to soak part of the blast (but how much?).
« Last Edit: <08-14-13/0644:22> by sylanna »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #324 on: <08-14-13/0644:42> »
p181: If you fail the attack roll, you roll scatter and scatter the full amount, then the grenade explodes.
p182: The GM rolls 2d6 to determine the scatter direction and then rolls to determine the scatter distance.

Q: Scatter mentions (#d6 - Hits) meters in Scatter. Motion sensors mentions scatter the grenade "scatters the full amount". Does that mean that, unlike with an unopposed test where scoring 1~2 hits will reduce the scatter, you do not apply any hits from the opposed test on reducing the scatter? Or will the net hits of the defender actually count against you, increasing the scatter?

e.g. I throw a motion sensors grenade and roll 3 hits, the dodger rolls 5. I roll 1d6 for Scatter and roll a 4. Does the grenade now scatter 4-3=1 (I doubt it), 4 or 4+(5-3)=6 meters?

Aaron

« Reply #325 on: <08-14-13/0717:41> »
A much better question, which may have been asked before and I can't find the answer:

Is it possible for a Technomancer to develop Noise Reduction and/or Sharing for drone control?  If so, how?

Not in the core rule book, but this functionality might be in future source books.

I think that strictly by the book, they'd remain two separate preparations. I think the errata will show that destroying or defacing a lynchpin destroys the preparation, but whether attaching an arrowhead to an arrow shaft defaces a preparation is a GM call (which might involve and Armorer Test). If the arrowhead has a contact trigger, the arrow would have to be handled and shot without touching it, and it would have to penetrate (cause Physical and not Stun damage) its target for the contact trigger to ... well, trigger.

What I'm looking for here is dev response so I can get a closer sense of what RAI here is.

Please keep in mind I'm keeping my answers based on the book and any errata I know has a good chance of making it through the approval process, labeling my own opinions as such. In theory, the Real Answers are in the book, albeit possibly buried somewhere in its nearly five hundred pages. Beware of using my opinion in your rules debates, partly because appealing to authority isn't a valid argument, but mostly because nothing's official unless it's in publication by Catalyst.

Also, a lot of these questions are becoming more and more centered on minutia and weird edge cases, and so they don't really fall under the "F" in "FAQ." That said, I like answering questions so I don't mind answering them (although the really specific ones probably won't make it into the official FAQ when that becomes a thing.

Q: Adrenaline Boost is a Free Action and makes you eat drain the next turn. No limit in use is mentioned. Can you use it in multiple Action Phases in the same Combat Turn? If so, does the drain stack up in one massive drain check, or will it be several independent drain checks?

Barring errata, you can use it every Initiative Pass. You'd take the Drain from each use separately.

How does evading explosives work? If the defender wins a test against a motion triggered grenade (same with vehicle vs missile), will he take no damage at all? Will he jump like 10+ meters away in spaces without obstacles/cover? If he doesn't, he should have to soak part of the blast (but how much?).

If you're in the blast zone when the explosive goes off, it's too late for you to evade it. Motion triggered grenades go off when they hit you; if they miss they scatter (p. 182) and so might take reduced damage.

Q: Scatter mentions (#d6 - Hits) meters in Scatter. Motion sensors mentions scatter the grenade "scatters the full amount". Does that mean that, unlike with an unopposed test where scoring 1~2 hits will reduce the scatter, you do not apply any hits from the opposed test on reducing the scatter? Or will the net hits of the defender actually count against you, increasing the scatter?

In the case of a missed motion triggered projectile, roll for scatter but do not reduce the scatter by the attacker's hits.

sylanna

• Newb
« Reply #326 on: <08-14-13/0740:45> »
They only scatter if you fail the attack roll or glitch. And this is where the problem is: When the attacker gets hits and the defender gets more hits, the attack role didn't fail. But that might just be a problem of the wording. Failed attack role = no net hits, is what I was thinking.
By RAW, the grenade should explode the moment it hits something...that would be the floor, if the target dodged.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #327 on: <08-14-13/0744:21> »
You failed to get more hits than the defender, so you failed the test.

sylanna

• Newb
« Reply #328 on: <08-14-13/0802:13> »
Oh okay. I didn't play a system, in which those two things are the same, yet. Thank you.

Ricochet

• Omae
« Reply #329 on: <08-14-13/0818:30> »
Firstly, thanks for the answer Aaron.

Secondly, I'd like to point to this passage on Page 223:

"The cyberdeck has advanced electronics and firmware based on reverse-engineered protocols used in Matrix security. In short, a cyberdeck is the tool you need to be a hacker."

The fact is, the Corporate Court and GOD decided that hackers were getting away with too much and decided to implement new security protocols and a new topology to the Matrix.  This is why we have Grids now and why we have a Grid Overwatch Score.  That technology makes hacking impossible without a cyberdeck or Resonance.  Simple as that.  The "reverse-engineered protocols used in Matrix security" refer to the protocols that prevent commlinks from hacking.

That is exactly the quote I was going off of when I was first thinking through this, but the fact Aaron supported this, I reread the whole hacking chapter twice last night and was trying to go through the pros and cons of allowing edge hacking.  Despite my talk of it being crazy as a first reaction (since that quote specifically put it outside the rules in my opinion) I'm moving more and more in favor of allowing  an edge hacker.  Most sleaze/attack actions require a mark, meaning you will need to invest multiple edge points to hack more often than not, making it difficult to use consistently.