NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #285 on: <08-11-13/1712:37> »
Since "A spirit’s physical form is metahuman-sized or smaller and very obviously ethereal" when materialized, is it possible to make a materialized spirit wear normal armor? If so, does the armor rating add to their Immunity to determine whether an attack injures them, or does it solely affect their damage soak dice pool?

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #286 on: <08-11-13/1738:10> »
Suppressive Fire lists the penalty as being to skill checks, so I can't imagine it applies to defense tests or any other dual stat test.

Slithery D

• Newb
« Reply #287 on: <08-11-13/1814:45> »
Since "A spirit’s physical form is metahuman-sized or smaller and very obviously ethereal" when materialized, is it possible to make a materialized spirit wear normal armor? If so, does the armor rating add to their Immunity to determine whether an attack injures them, or does it solely affect their damage soak dice pool?

For God's sake, neither! Even if Immunity isn't technically "armor" don't let it stack: spirits are hardly in need of more damage resistance.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #288 on: <08-11-13/1819:22> »
For God's sake, neither! Even if Immunity isn't technically "armor" don't let it stack: spirits are hardly in need of more damage resistance.
Aw, but I wanted to summon a Spirit of Man, make it wear a duster and give it a Ruger Super Warhawk, and make it say "This town ain't big enough for the both of us". :(

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #289 on: <08-12-13/0214:03> »
Getting this back on topic by actually asking a question for the FAQ....

Running Silent says that you resist being spotted with Logic + Sleaze. So does running silent count as a Sleaze action, and thus start your overwatch score?

Also, only cyberdecks have a Sleaze attribute, so how do commlinks and other devices that are running silent resist being spotted?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #290 on: <08-12-13/0521:08> »
This wasn't my idea but a good point was raised that it isn't stated explicitly in the rules.

Q: If you put multiple Audio Enhancements Rating * in earbuds+headsets, or multiple Vision Enhancements Rating * in contacts and glasses, do their effects stack?
For example, if I got an Audio Enhancement Rating 3 and an Audio
Enhancement Rating 2 equipped, do I get +3 to my limits (and with wireless to my dicepool), or +5?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #291 on: <08-12-13/1105:56> »
This wasn't my idea but a good point was raised that it isn't stated explicitly in the rules.

Q: If you put multiple Audio Enhancements Rating * in earbuds+headsets, or multiple Vision Enhancements Rating * in contacts and glasses, do their effects stack?
Enhancement Rating 2 equipped, do I get +3 to my limits (and with wireless to my dicepool), or +5?

I would say no. Audio Enhancement Rating 3 + Audio Enhancement Rating 2 != Audio Enhancement Rating 5. Audio Enhancement is Max rating 3. (pg. 445)
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #292 on: <08-12-13/1112:09> »
Well that's also what I would say myself, but I'm asking so we get an official ruling to hold against people suggesting it should be fine. :)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #293 on: <08-12-13/1142:42> »
No official ruling needed. Just beat those people with the phone book until they stop being stupid.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #294 on: <08-12-13/1146:58> »
No official ruling needed. Just beat those people with the phone book until they stop being stupid.

But I might damage my phone book!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #295 on: <08-12-13/1152:11> »
Don't be ridiculous. We don't know the damage of a phonebook. Just wait for the physical book to arrive and use that, we know the official damage code for that puppy.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #296 on: <08-12-13/1248:24> »
I dunno. A Metro Atlanta phone book I think would have a pretty hefty DV.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #297 on: <08-12-13/1340:50> »
Get two food trays from a cafeteria, and use those.

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #298 on: <08-12-13/1455:12> »
Get two food trays from a cafeteria, and use those.

Sounds like a street level run to me - Johnson says that he wants you to steal 2 trays from a corp cafeteria. Two specific trays. The white ones. With the old corp logo. He will pay you in pizza.

Tagami

• Newb
« Reply #299 on: <08-12-13/1603:54> »

I would say no. Audio Enhancement Rating 3 + Audio Enhancement Rating 2 != Audio Enhancement Rating 5. Audio Enhancement is Max rating 3. (pg. 445)

RAW per SR5, pg 445 one sensor is max rating 3. The question at hand is what happens when you feed the output of one sensor (say headphones with Audio Enhance rating 2) into another (earbuds Audio Enhance rating 3).

It's not unheard of, in RL. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preamplifier). I guess it depends on RAI (what rating really represents? signal clarity or volume?).

Even though everyone thinks this is a phonebook case, I disagree on that. It merely allows more creativity for the players if allowed, or clarifies the intended use of the equipment.

I would like also to remind you that this could be vital info for riggers, since they could potentially rig sensor setups for ambushes and safehouses with relative ease on the cheap (I guess that would be an INT+Hardware check) and then use that for ultra long range eavesdropping (add directional mic, tada!). Even better, running around with a spy-van trying to pick up info on corp-sec from the parking lot across the facility sounds very trenchcoaty to me (a part of SR I love to bits).

Again, it's not unheard of for people to try to get info from as far away as possible using arrays of equipment. (http://www.space.com/16000-spy-satellites-space-telescopes-nasa.html Go read about the capabilities of those babies NASA got. They were the spare/obsolete ones).