[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #210 on: <08-02-13/2017:12> »
Q: How much does it cost to repair?

Q: Can you use Alchemy to put spells (activating on touch) on ammunition, e.g. grenades, bullets and throwing knives?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

MagusRogue

• Newb
« Reply #211 on: <08-02-13/2055:10> »
Posted this one over on the Shadowrun boards as potential errata, but was suggested to add to FAQ instead, so posting here (even though I think it's way off and wrong).

pg. 251, Threading, second paragraph, last line, reads "You can choose a Level up to three times your Resonance rating." I'm thinking this needs to be two times your Resonance rating." for one, going up to 3 times is insta-glib on yourself. Also, it flies in the face of other set traditions in the magic and stuff. Magic spells can only have a Level up to Magic x 2, Summoning Spirits is Magic x 2. Other limits (when multiplied) are x 2. Heck, even later on on page 254, Compiling a Sprite has a level limit of Resonance x 2. So, I'm thinking a Threading Level max of Resonance x 3 is both error and overkill, to be honest.

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #212 on: <08-02-13/2359:18> »
Correct. All they pay is additional Lifestyle costs.
[/quote

Thanks. :)

Aaron

« Reply #213 on: <08-03-13/0006:07> »
Q: If you cast a Force X spell and break the limit with Edge or Reagents, scoring Y hits, can a Force X sustaining Focus maintain it or should it be Force Y? If the second, can you drop some hits in case you rolled too many? e.g. you roll 8 hits and want to use a Force 6 Sustaining Focus, can you drop 2 hits, still suffer Physical Drain if your Magic is less than 8, but keep it in the Focus?

Force X.

Vehicle crashes rules (p. 201) states that in case of crash, the passengers must resist damages equal to the vehicle Body.
Does it mean that if a GMC Banshee (body 20) crashes against a Jackrabbit (body 8), the passengers of the Banshee will face 20P damages wheras the passengers of the Ford will only face 8P damage?

I'll check on this and either post the answer here or try to get it into the official FAQ.

Does the Multiple Attacks free action allow you to attack one target twice in a single action phase, or is it always applied as attacking multiple targets at the same time?

Multiple targets at the same time, not one target twice.

That's a good question that isn't covered by the core rules. Check with your GM. If you'd like a suggestion, my personal advice would be that the cost would be the number of boxes of damage you're fixing divided by the total number of boxes on the Condition Monitor, then multiplied by the price of the thing you're fixing.

Q: Can you use Alchemy to put spells (activating on touch) on ammunition, e.g. grenades, bullets and throwing knives?

Yes, but there's an errata in the pipe that specifies that damaging a lynchpin also destroys the preparation. Firing a bullet out of a gun would mess up your preparation, but the knives might work.

Posted this one over on the Shadowrun boards as potential errata, but was suggested to add to FAQ instead, so posting here (even though I think it's way off and wrong).

pg. 251, Threading, second paragraph, last line, reads "You can choose a Level up to three times your Resonance rating." I'm thinking this needs to be two times your Resonance rating." for one, going up to 3 times is insta-glib on yourself. Also, it flies in the face of other set traditions in the magic and stuff. Magic spells can only have a Level up to Magic x 2, Summoning Spirits is Magic x 2. Other limits (when multiplied) are x 2. Heck, even later on on page 254, Compiling a Sprite has a level limit of Resonance x 2. So, I'm thinking a Threading Level max of Resonance x 3 is both error and overkill, to be honest.

Threading may be similar to spellcasting, but it's not the same thing. Between Patrick and I, we'll make sure this gets brought up in the internal errata discussion.

Thanks everyone! Keep on asking questions as you think of them!

MacAnu

• Newb
« Reply #214 on: <08-03-13/0011:08> »
If a technomancer performs a Resonance action, do normal people in the Matrix who can see the technomancer's persona know that he did something (like twitchy fingers and incantations for mages)?

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #215 on: <08-03-13/0017:03> »
The gear chart for missiles on pg435 indicates they act as Rockets except with higher Availability and additional cost for the Sensor. However, nowhere in the rocket/missile section of the Combat chapter (pg181) does it indicate how to use that Sensor, or how missiles differ from rockets at all.

There's some stuff on Sensor Targeting on page 184, but it seems to be for vehicles. Are you also supposed to roll an Sensor Targeting test when firing man-portable missiles, using those vehicle rules?

-k

MagusRogue

• Newb
« Reply #216 on: <08-03-13/0026:05> »

Threading may be similar to spellcasting, but it's not the same thing. Between Patrick and I, we'll make sure this gets brought up in the internal errata discussion.

Thanks Aaron!!! Yeah I understand its not the same thing, but the Limits should still remain the same. Besides, this potentially breaks the game, as I could cast a Level 18 Data Spike while running a Biofeedback Echo and kill... well, most anyone, and all it takes is one Submersion. Even without the Echo, that's an insane limit, one that's definately and EASILY obtainable by starting pcs, and far more than other limits by far. Yeah sure then I get to be rolling with 18P damage from Fading.... and that's another thing as well. If the Level limit is Resonance x 3, but the Physical marker is Resonance (like Magic), then thats going to have serious self-fragging capabilities.... Just wanted you guys to seriously think this one over, as Resonance x 3 is incredibly excessive.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #217 on: <08-03-13/0300:57> »
How do Sensor Arrays and the Sensor Function slots within them work? Should the number of slots equal the rating of the array?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #218 on: <08-03-13/0311:03> »
Does the Multiple Attacks free action allow you to attack one target twice in a single action phase, or is it always applied as attacking multiple targets at the same time?

If it always applies as attacking multiple targets, then how do you explain throwing weapons...?

Throw Weapon p.166
A character may throw a ready throwing weapon (see Ready Weapon, p. 165) by taking a Simple Action. The character may not take any other attack actions in the same Action Phase. Multiple readied throwing weapons can be thrown at a target within Short or Medium range by adding a Multiple Attacks Free Action (see Multiple Attacks, p. 196).
  • You can attack multiple times at ONE target
  • There is no mentioning that you need or are even allowed to attack multiple targets. just multiple attacks.
  • No mentioning about dual wielding
« Last Edit: <08-03-13/0414:48> by Xenon »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #219 on: <08-03-13/0343:46> »
The Wireless Bonus rule state that all devices need to be wireless ON, meshed into your wireless personal area network and have access to the Matrix as a whole.

Q: Can there be a case when you need access to DNI to take advantage of a wireless bonus?
Q: Can there be a case when you need access to AR to take advantage of a wireless bonus?

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=11881.msg221529#msg221529
« Last Edit: <08-03-13/0410:28> by Xenon »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #220 on: <08-03-13/0406:34> »
In this thread http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=11992.0 we more or less came to the conclusion that the only fire mode that let you attack multiple enemies with a single firearm are SA-Burst, Long-BF and FA in Suppressive Fire.

Q: Can you confirm that to hit multiple targets with FA-mode you need to use Suppressive Fire?
(that you can not use Simple FA or Complex FA to attack multiple targets - unless you dual wield).

Q: Can you confirm that to hit multiple targets with BF-mode you need to use Long-BF
(that you can not use BF [that spit out 3 bullets in 0.1 - 0.2 seconds] to attack multiple targets - unless you dual wield).
« Last Edit: <08-03-13/0408:46> by Xenon »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #221 on: <08-03-13/0417:04> »
In the Dual Wield thread  http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=11965.0 we still have a few questions left unanswered

• Can you dual wield two firearms with different fire-modes?
  • Can you attack one target twice if you dual wield two firearms? - No you can not
  • Can you benefit from Laser Sight and/or Smartgun while you dual wield two firearms?
  • Can you dual wield two melee weapons?
  • Can you attack one target twice if you dual wield melee weapons? - No you can not
  • Is there any advantage of dual wield melee weapon over single wield melee weapon?
  • Can you dual wield one firearm and a melee weapon?
  • Can you attack with both a firearm and a melee weapon?
  • Can you attack with a firearm and take a parry interrupt action with a melee weapon?
« Last Edit: <08-03-13/0419:14> by Xenon »

Aaron

« Reply #222 on: <08-03-13/0850:31> »

If it always applies as attacking multiple targets, then how do you explain throwing weapons...?

My guess is that it's a special rule that applies to throwing weapons, since the rule you quoted is in the section on throwing weapons and not in the general rule for multiple attacks. I'll check with Da Boss to make sure, though.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #223 on: <08-03-13/0853:01> »
That's a good question that isn't covered by the core rules. Check with your GM. If you'd like a suggestion, my personal advice would be that the cost would be the number of boxes of damage you're fixing divided by the total number of boxes on the Condition Monitor, then multiplied by the price of the thing you're fixing.
That's a slightly harsh change (even if not official) compared to 4th edition: in SR4A+Arsenal, where vehicles had (8 + Body/2) boxes (so that's 16 for a Bulldog, 10 for a Large drone), repairing cost 1% of the base price per box - compared to that, this is basically x4 to x5 for the heaviest vehicles, x10 or more for the drones. While I do admit it seemed a bit strange that things with less Body were less expensive to repair (compared to their base price) when 100% wrecked , paying about 26 days of a Low Lifestyle to fix a single point of damage to your Bulldog (instead of about 5), or about 40 days to fix a single point of damage to your Steel Lynx (instead of about 4), seems a bit too harsh.

Aaron

« Reply #224 on: <08-03-13/0901:10> »
If a technomancer performs a Resonance action, do normal people in the Matrix who can see the technomancer's persona know that he did something (like twitchy fingers and incantations for mages)?

Good question. The rules don't at all noticing technomancy. I imagine that the Matrix doesn't know how to render technomancy, but whether that makes it more subtle or more obvious is a question for your GM. We probably won't know for certain until the Matrix source book is released.

The gear chart for missiles on pg435 indicates they act as Rockets except with higher Availability and additional cost for the Sensor. However, nowhere in the rocket/missile section of the Combat chapter (pg181) does it indicate how to use that Sensor, or how missiles differ from rockets at all.

There's some stuff on Sensor Targeting on page 184, but it seems to be for vehicles. Are you also supposed to roll an Sensor Targeting test when firing man-portable missiles, using those vehicle rules?

You can use Sensor targeting when firing a missile.

Thanks Aaron!!! Yeah I understand its not the same thing, but the Limits should still remain the same. Besides, this potentially breaks the game, as I could cast a Level 18 Data Spike while running a Biofeedback Echo and kill... well, most anyone, and all it takes is one Submersion. Even without the Echo, that's an insane limit, one that's definately and EASILY obtainable by starting pcs, and far more than other limits by far. Yeah sure then I get to be rolling with 18P damage from Fading.... and that's another thing as well. If the Level limit is Resonance x 3, but the Physical marker is Resonance (like Magic), then thats going to have serious self-fragging capabilities.... Just wanted you guys to seriously think this one over, as Resonance x 3 is incredibly excessive.

Forgive me for pointing this out, but technomacners can't "cast" Data Spike. Data Spike is a Matrix Action. I think you're thinking of Resonance Spike, and Level doesn't factor into the effect of that complex form except as a limit. Also, the Biofeedback Echo acts as a program, and the rules don't allow for programs to affect complex forms. Until there's a complex form for biofeedback damage, you don't have to worry.