NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Palladion

• Chummer
« Reply #195 on: <07-31-13/1426:02> »
Availability rules:

Is it really intended, that you have to seriously invest into bonus-dice for your fixer, when trying to get new gear?
The example fixer has a Dicepool of 14 for Negotiation, which means, that he can't even reliably get a 6R item, not even speaking of 12R, what you can start with.

Does every character now need a fixer that is an elven social adept with maximized skill, improved ability (negotiation) to even have the chance for some of those nice 18R+ stuff?

To explain: Availability tests are success tests with the availability as threshold and not extended, like in 4E.

Contacts use Connection as bonus dice for Swag tests, "...they're better at it than you are..." (SR5 388).
P A L L A D I O N

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #196 on: <07-31-13/1431:54> »
Edited for dumbness ...

So I even wrote "opposed test" without realizing the whole thing ...
Ok, that makes my social adept capable of organizing stuff for the group again, without spending PP on negotiation.
« Last Edit: <07-31-13/1457:41> by Lucean »

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #197 on: <07-31-13/1433:12> »
To explain: Availability tests are success tests with the availability as threshold and not extended, like in 4E.

As an opposed roll availability tests have no threshold. 14 dice will reliably beat 6 dice in an opposed test.

I am noticing that alot of people, myself included initially, are making this error, Crunch.

To explain to everyone, and hope this really does get put in the FAQ to clear up this glaring miconception by people:
Step 1) The Fixer/character rolls the dice for their test(Charisma+Negotiation[+Fixer's Connection level if a Fixer])
Step 2) The GM Rolls a number of dice equal to the items availability.
Step 3) Compare the number of hits. If Step 1 has more hits then Step 2, you get the item.

That is what an Opposed Test means.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #198 on: <07-31-13/1434:56> »
So we have a new contradiction.

Hardly new, and it may not be a contradiction. As written Connection will act as a bonust to both limit and die pool. 

The part you seem to be missing is that AVAILABILITY NO LONGER ACTS AS A THRESHOLD. It's an opposed pool versus pool roll.

Slipped by a calmer explanation.

Palladion

• Chummer
« Reply #199 on: <07-31-13/1444:03> »
Hardly new, and it may not be a contradiction. As written Connection will act as a bonust to both limit and die pool. 

The part you seem to be missing is that AVAILABILITY NO LONGER ACTS AS A THRESHOLD. It's an opposed pool versus pool roll.

Slipped by a calmer explanation.

As Crunch said: Opposed Test Negotiation + Charisma (+ Connection) [Social (+ Connection)] vs. Availability (as a dice pool roll).
P A L L A D I O N

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #200 on: <07-31-13/1641:20> »
In the Called shot section (p. 195) the description of Shake Up gives two examples where the target is not hit: "These shots
represent the intentional shot past the ear or skipping rounds off the ground"
and then the rule wise description of the effect clearly states that the normal damages apply...
Is it a mistake or only poorly choosen examples?
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #201 on: <08-01-13/0157:38> »
OK, this has to have bee asked already, but I don't see clear errata.

What the hell is up with Trolls. Dwarfs, and the high cost of living?

Page 94 says:

When a character factors in racial modifiers for gear
costs (trolls have a 50 percent gear and Lifestyle cost
increase, dwarfs have a 10 percent increase in gear
costs)

The chart on page 66 says:

Dwarf Racial: +2 dice for pathogen and toxin resistance, +20% increased Lifestyle cost

And:

Troll Racial: Thermographic Vision, +1 Reach, +1 dermal armor, +100% increased Lifestyle costs

Aside from having obviously forgotten about dwarf themosence, what's the final word of God on lifestyle/gear cost increases by metatype? Gear cost increases add up very quickly in regards to bioware and cyberware.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #202 on: <08-01-13/0639:15> »
Thermographic Visions should be added to Page 66, for the rest page 66 is the only correct source. All others are remnants from different versions that writers have confirmed as obsolete.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #203 on: <08-01-13/0746:46> »
+ Connection dice is likely an error, submitted to the Errata topic and asked for the Missions FAQ.

-------------

The various sources for extra Initiative dice state they cannot be combined with other technological or magical increases to Initiative. Only Wired Reflexes, Synaptic Boosters and Reaction Enhancers state they are incompatible with augmentations boosting Reaction.

Q: Does this mean that the Increased Reflexes Spell and Improved Reflexes Adept Power work fine together with the Increase Reaction Spell and Improved Reaction Adept Power?
Q: If so, does the extra Reaction from these other sources still provide an extra Initiative, meaning that you simply do not get extra bonus dice but can still get higher Initiative from compatible stat-increasing sources?
Q: Is it intended that Synaptic Boosters do not combine with Suprathyroid Gland*, capping Bioware Reaction boosts to +3 rather than +4? Or are they simply meant not to stack with magical/drug/cyberware increases?
Q: Do drugs count as a Technological increase to Initiative, meaning their bonus Initiative dice do not stack with magical Initiative dice sources?

*: At 140k and 0.7 essence, while letting you get Muscle Toner and Augmentation at 1 level less, the Suprathyroid Gland effectively costs 77k, 0.3 essence and +25% Lifestyle costs for 1 Body and 1 Reaction.
« Last Edit: <08-01-13/0756:55> by Michael Chandra »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #204 on: <08-01-13/0806:14> »
Q: Does this mean that the Increased Reflexes Spell and Improved Reflexes Adept Power work fine together with the Increase Reaction Spell and Improved Reaction Adept Power?
I don't see why they shouldn't.
(but you can't use it to exceed the +4 augmentation limit for attributes)

On the same note;
Adrenaline Boost give initiative.
Wired Reflexes and Improved Reflexes both state they can't be combined with other technological or magical increases to initiative. The description for the spell Increase Reflexes does not explicit say this.

Q: Does this mean a Mystic Adept can combine both Adrenaline Boost Adept Power and Increase Reflexes spell?
(as long as you don't exceed a total of 5d6 as this is the limit for initiative dice)

Q: Do drugs count as a Technological increase to Initiative, meaning their bonus Initiative dice do not stack with magical Initiative dice sources?
Even if "Drugs" would count as Technological" (i doubt that, unless maybe it was some sort of nanobot drug), it would still stack(*) with the Increase the Reflexes spell - as the Increase Reflexes spell seem to stack with drugs, technological and even magic (as long as the magic is not another application of the Increase Reflexes spell).

(*)as long as you don't exceed a total of 5d6 as this is the limit for initiative dice.
« Last Edit: <08-01-13/0810:23> by Xenon »

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #205 on: <08-01-13/2250:18> »
Thermographic Visions should be added to Page 66, for the rest page 66 is the only correct source. All others are remnants from different versions that writers have confirmed as obsolete.

Just to be clear, that means neither dwarfs nor trolls pay extra for gear?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #206 on: <08-02-13/0558:55> »
Correct. All they pay is additional Lifestyle costs.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #207 on: <08-02-13/0808:02> »
Q: If you cast a Force X spell and break the limit with Edge or Reagents, scoring Y hits, can a Force X sustaining Focus maintain it or should it be Force Y? If the second, can you drop some hits in case you rolled too many? e.g. you roll 8 hits and want to use a Force 6 Sustaining Focus, can you drop 2 hits, still suffer Physical Drain if your Magic is less than 8, but keep it in the Focus?

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #208 on: <08-02-13/1744:50> »
Vehicle crashes rules (p. 201) states that in case of crash, the passengers must resist damages equal to the vehicle Body.
Does it mean that if a GMC Banshee (body 20) crashes against a Jackrabbit (body 8), the passengers of the Banshee will face 20P damages wheras the passengers of the Ford will only face 8P damage?
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #209 on: <08-02-13/1823:34> »
Does the Multiple Attacks free action allow you to attack one target twice in a single action phase, or is it always applied as attacking multiple targets at the same time?