NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #105 on: <07-17-13/0329:02> »
That's the fourth edition rule, what page do you find it in SR5?
1)

I can't seem to find a reference about using the smaller dice pool. This might be a SR4 rule only, in that case i stand corrected (but it kinda make sense and will be fast to calculate during combat; the other option would be to calculate each pool individually but with all modifiers combined - and then split both pools individually and alternate which target(s) that get hit by which pool. You also need to make a judgement on the max number of attacks you can do).

p.196
Multiple Attacks
Characters sometimes want to really put on the hurting in a single Action Phase and can choose to attack more than once in a single Action Phase by using the Multiple Attacks Free Action. This action represents both attacking multiple times from a single melee weapon and attacking with two different weapons (firearms or melee). The attacker’s dice pool is calculated with all modifiers (Wound, Environmental, Situational, and the full recoil of all attacks if it’s a ranged attack) and then split as evenly as possible between all attacks, and each attack is handled separately. (Keep in mind as the dice pool gets smaller the chances of a glitch rise.) Edge spent on this test adds into the pool before it is divided.
The total number of attacks you can make in a single Action Phase is limited to one-half the attacker’s Combat Skill.

2)

p.163
Free Actions
Free Actions are relatively simple, nearly automatic actions that require little effort to accomplish. Examples are saying a word, dropping an object, gesturing, or walking. A character may take one Free Action during his own Action Phase or at some later point in the Initiative Pass. A character may only take a Free Action prior to his first Action Phase in the Initiative Pass if they are not surprised (see Surprise, p. 192). Only one Free Action is normally allowed per Initiative Pass, but multiple Free Actions could be allowed by the gamemaster if the situation seems reasonable (dropping an object and speaking a phrase). Free Actions generally require no Success Test, though special circumstances may warrant one.

p.164
Multiple Attacks
A character may use a Free Action to attack multiple targets in a single action (see Multiple Attacks, p. 196) by splitting their dice pool. This action must be combined with a Fire Weapon Action, Throw Weapon Action, Melee Attack Action, Reckless Spellcasting, or Cast Spell Action.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #106 on: <07-17-13/0343:21> »
Xenon, you are confusing Attacks with Attack Actions. You may only do one Attack Action. However, that Attack Actions can
do multiple attacks by splitting the dice pool.  If you do Quickdraw, that action involves making the Weapon Skill+ Reaction
(3) test, and then attacking with the weapon in the same action. That makes its an attack action. If you cannot do the
Multiple Attacks with a Quickdraw action, then you just have to do the Ready Weapon Simple action, followed by an Fire
(Semi-auto/Burst-fire) action enhanced with the Multiple Attacks action.

If you want to use the Fire (whatever) action, you cannot make any other attack actions in that Initiative Pass. Meaning before
or after.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #107 on: <07-17-13/0415:18> »
My question was if you can combine the multiple attack free action with the quickdraw simple attack action.

I am aware that you cannot do two attack actions in an action phase. My question was not if i could do a quickdraw attack action and then do another attack action (with or without the multiple attacks free action).

- The quickdraw simple attack action let you draw a pistol and, as i read it, fire whatever firemode your pistol currently use. As a single action - so no complex 10 bullet full auto from your TMP machinepistol - but you could quickdraw your ruger super warhawk and combine it with a fire single shot as one simple attack action. Or your browning ultrapower and combine it with a fire semi automatic or fire semi automatic burst as one simple attack action. Or your slivergun and combine it with a fire burst fire as one simple attack action.

- The multiattack free action let you attack multiple targets when you combine it with a fire semi automatic burst-, fire burst fire- and fire full auto- attack action.

...If you cannot do the Multiple Attacks with a Quickdraw action...
So the answer to my question is that since Multiple Attacks free action does not allow for the Quick Draw Action (because it is not listed together with only Fire Weapon Action, Throw Weapon Action, Melee Attack Action, Reckless Spellcasting, or Cast Spell Action) you cannot use it together with the Quick Draw action.

With the Quick Draw Action you can still draw two weapons and fire them both, but since the Multiple Attack free action is not valid for the quick draw action so you can only fire both weapons on  the same target (with split pools - according to Quick Draw rules).

Thanks for helping me see things a bit more clearly :)

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #108 on: <07-17-13/1010:39> »
Question:  on pg. 136 where it describes using Stealth Skills it does not say that a limit is applied to Sneaking + Intuition nor the opposed roll.  Other skill descriptions explicitly state the limits involved and I can't find anything in the Skills section nor the section on limits to suggest to me that Sneaking + Intuition vs. Perception + Intuition has a limit. 

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #109 on: <07-17-13/1025:33> »
Question:  on pg. 136 where it describes using Stealth Skills it does not say that a limit is applied to Sneaking + Intuition nor the opposed roll.  Other skill descriptions explicitly state the limits involved and I can't find anything in the Skills section nor the section on limits to suggest to me that Sneaking + Intuition vs. Perception + Intuition has a limit.

Perception + Intuition [Mental] vs Sneaking + Agility

USING PERCEPTION
Perception Tests are for any situation involving basic senses (sight, hearing, smell, touch, or taste) where you’re looking for something that isn’t obvious. Your gamemaster might call for you to make one, or you can call for a Perception Test by taking an Observe in Detail Simple Action to get a handle on what’s going down around you. Making the threshold on a Perception + Intuition [Mental] Test indicates that you’ve noticed something subtle or important (or both)—net hits determine how much detail you get. If someone is deliberately trying to hide from you, they’ll oppose your test with their own skill (Using Stealth Skills, p. 136).

edit. but you are right, i cant see any text about what limit he should use if he use Sneaking + Intuition instead of Perception, but since this is a perception test - just with another skill - and the attribute still being Intuition i think it is safe to say that it will be limited by [Mental]

Sneaking + Intuition [Mental] vs Sneaking + Agility

Agreed. Would not hurt if the text was more clear on this...
« Last Edit: <07-17-13/1037:21> by Xenon »

Aaron

« Reply #110 on: <07-17-13/1842:31> »
I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with answers, folks. I have been copying down all the questions to be distilled into a FAQ to be answered and posted through more official channels than just me. Thanks for bearing with me.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #111 on: <07-18-13/0802:08> »
Page 94 says the chargen limit for gear is Availability 12 and a device rating of 6 - however, on page 418, it says the chargen limit for gear is Availability 12 and a rating of 6. Given that the gear chapter makes a distinction between gear ratings and device ratings, which page is wrong? Because bows can have a rating of up to 10 without exceeding Availability 12, and the same applies for foam explosives, but in both cases, this is not a device rating, just gear rating, and the archetypes include a rating 7 and rating 8 bow (although to be fair, one character has rating 5 fake SINs and Licenses, which would be Availability 15, so there's already at least one mistake in there).

RelentlessImp

• Chummer
« Reply #112 on: <07-18-13/0926:44> »
So, since the release of SR5, people I've talked to have been slightly confused by the rules, the layout, and just outright missing certain very important lines in the rules text because... well, I'm not really sure why. Is it the font? Size? Or are they just trying to hurry through? Well, whatever the case, I've decided to put together a little document highlighting things I've found people are commonly missing, from talking to friends and reading threads. So I present to you the Rules Clarification document; everyone's free to contribute.

Character Generation
Choose Your Metatype
  • An entry of Human (1), Dwarf (3), and Elf (5) all mean the same thing; you have that metatype, and the number in parentheses is how many points you have to spend on Special Attributes. Special Attributes are Edge, Resonance, and Magic. (Page 65, right column, second paragraph)
  • Dwarfs have Thermovision. They didn't lose it. Rejoice! (Here)
Skills
  • An entry of 46/10, 36/5, and 28/2 mean you have X/* points to spend on individual skills, and a separate pool of */Y points to spend on skill groups. (Page 88, right column, first paragraph. Example on page 92, Rob, explicitly uses this for further proof.)
Spend Your Resources
  • Starting nuyen table is on page 95.
  • There are options to include in your Lifestyle. They are on page 374. Team lifestyles are still a thing as well, page 375.
  • Dwarfs and Trolls have a tax on lifestyles. They are 20% for Dwarfs and 100% for Trolls. (Page 420, Size Costs, entire article.)
  • Trolls do not pay +50% for gear, despite what the book says. (Here)
Spend Your Leftover Karma
  • Mystic Adepts have the wrong number for their Power Point cost. Until official errata is released, MysAds should use the number of 5 Karma per Power Point. (Here)

The Matrix
Complex Forms
  • Complex Forms with a target of Device can also target Persona. (Page 252, Resonance Library, second paragraph, second sentence)

More to come as rules questions pop up.
« Last Edit: <07-18-13/0932:37> by RelentlessImp »
Next time you're down on your knees, and you're expecting a slap, it might be me in that mask, and I just might have a bat.
Currently Looking for Work

Ariketh

• Omae
« Reply #113 on: <07-18-13/1323:09> »
Page 94 says the chargen limit for gear is Availability 12 and a device rating of 6 - however, on page 418, it says the chargen limit for gear is Availability 12 and a rating of 6. Given that the gear chapter makes a distinction between gear ratings and device ratings, which page is wrong? Because bows can have a rating of up to 10 without exceeding Availability 12, and the same applies for foam explosives, but in both cases, this is not a device rating, just gear rating, and the archetypes include a rating 7 and rating 8 bow (although to be fair, one character has rating 5 fake SINs and Licenses, which would be Availability 15, so there's already at least one mistake in there).

I'm going to go with page 418 being wrong incomplete. I'm guessing a word was just dropped during editing.

Why? Page 98 repeats the limitations from page 94. (Right hand, top of the column on page 98 if you were wondering). On page 64 when discussing the alternate gameplay, both gear restrictions clearly mention device rating. So you have 3 (or 4 if you count each alternate gameplay entry separate) entries that refer to device rating limits and only one reference to a rating limit.

And think about this: The primary source of character creation limitations should be the character creation chapter. The 3 (or 4) entries that mention device rating limits are all in the character creation chapter. The errant entry is in the gear chapter; which focuses on gear before and after character creation. So page 418 is hardly a primary source for character creation.

That said, it's a good question.

-Ariketh

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #114 on: <07-18-13/2142:17> »
Cyberskulls and –torsos are included in the “cyberlimbs” category, though they are in fact shells rather than full replacements (or actual limbs).

Do skulls and torsos count as limbs for tests that require "the coordination of several limbs"? (do they have their own strength and agility?)

Cyberlimbs cannot hold any bioware, nor any cyber-implants that take up Essence rather than Capacity.

Do skull replacements disallow everything from cybereyes to voice modulators that has no capacity rating? Does bodyware force an equivalent list for torsos? Are full body replacements entirely unable to take essence-based cyberware or bioware?
« Last Edit: <07-19-13/0238:43> by Novocrane »

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #115 on: <07-19-13/0836:53> »
Sprinting example, p162: "He also gains the defensive benefits of Running Modifiers, specifically Sprinting (–4)"

The running modifiers p. 162 are not listed as part of the situationnal modifiers p. 176 (it is therefore easy to overlook it)
Furthermore, the bonus to defense when running (p. 190) is not listed in the running modifiers p. 162.
I assume both modifiers apply when firing at a running character: malus to attack and bonus to defense. Can you confirm?
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #116 on: <07-19-13/1044:22> »
Firearm modes, attacking multiple targets and dual wielding

The rules for multiple targets with burst firearms seem a bit... lacking.

1) Trying to figure out which combinations that are valid with different firearm fire modes. So far my list look like this:

Code: [Select]
Type  One hand attack             Action  Pool  Shots Dodge Notes
====  =========================== ======= ===== ===== ===== ==============================
Melee Melee Attack                Complex Full   N/A   -0   
Melee Melee Multi Attack          Complex Split  N/A    ?   Max skill/2 targets
SS    Single Shot                 Simple  Full    1    -0   No recoil
SA    Semi-Automatic              Simple  Full    1    -0 
SA    Semi-Automatic Burst        Complex Full    3    -2   
SA    Semi-Automatic Multi Burst  Complex Split   3     ?   Max skill/2 targets
BF    Burst Fire                  Simple  Full    3    -2   
BF    Long Burst                  Complex Full    6    -5   
BF    Long Multi Burst            Complex Split   6     ?   Max skill/2 targets
FA    Simple Full Auto            Simple  Full    6    -5   
FA    Simple Multi Full Auto      Complex Split   6     ?   Max skill/2 targets
FA    Complex Full Auto           Complex Full   10    -9   
FA    Complex Multi Full Auto     Complex Split  10     ?   Max skill/2 targets
FA    Suppressive Fire            Turn    Full   20    -0   Reaction+Edge to dodge

Code: [Select]
Type  Dual wield attack           Action  Pool  Shots Dodge Notes
====  =========================== ======= ===== ===== ===== ==============================
Melee Melee Attack                Complex Split  N/A   -0   Hit target twice
SS    Single Shot                 Simple  Split  1+1   -0   Hit target twice, recoil apply
SA    Semi-Automatic              Simple  Split  1+1   -0   Hit target twice
SA    Semi-Automatic Burst        Simple  Split  3+3   -2   Hit target twice
BF    Burst                       Simple  Split  3+3   -5   Hit target twice
BF    Long Burst                  Complex Split  6+6   -5   Hit target twice
FA    Full Auto                   Simple  Split  6+6   -5   Hit target twice
FA    Long Full Auto              Complex Split 10+10  -9   Hit target twice

Question: Is the above list correct, so far...?

2) You get number of bullets -1 as dodge modifier when someone use burst or full auto attack against you (-0 for 1 bullet simple action single shot or simple action semi-automatic, -2 dodge for 3 bullets complex action semi-automatic burst or simple action burst fire, -5 for 6 bullet complex action long burst or simple action full auto and -9 for 10 bullets complex action full auto)

Question: What is the dodge modifier when attacker use the "attack multiple targets"-free action to hit up to skill / 2 targets?

3) Rules state you can attack skill/2 targets when you take a multiattack free action together with a fire-mode that fire 3,6 or 10 bullets. With a theoretical skill of 13 this would mean I could attack up to 7 targets.

Question: Is it possible to attack up to 7 targets with a Semi-Automatic Burst complex action that only fire 3 bullets...?

4) Rules state that you can attack the same target twice if you dual wield, but I can't see anything explicit if you can or can not attack attack multiple targets while you dual wield two firearms.

Question: Can you attack multiple targets if you dual wield?
- And if so, do you attack each target twice? Do you split your pool again...?

5) Dual wield give you the option to attack a single target twice. It also give you the option to only use one of your two wielded weapons. I can't find any rules about getting lower recoil compensation when you dual wield but only use one of the weapons compared of holding only one weapon with support from two hands.

Question: When you dual wield firearms, would it not make sense that you get the STR/4 recoil compensation split between both weapons...?
« Last Edit: <07-19-13/1051:20> by Xenon »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #117 on: <07-19-13/1303:19> »
When raising Attributes with the leftover Karma, do increases provide you with free points for Knowledge/Language Skills or Contacts? So if I take 5 Intuition and 1 Logic, then use 25 karma to raise Logic to 3, do I get (5+1)*2 or (5+3)*2 Knowledge/Language points?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #118 on: <07-19-13/1333:18> »
When raising Attributes with the leftover Karma, do increases provide you with free points for Knowledge/Language Skills or Contacts? So if I take 5 Intuition and 1 Logic, then use 25 karma to raise Logic to 3, do I get (5+1)*2 or (5+3)*2 Knowledge/Language points?
Pretty sure it does not.

Reason for that is that in SR5, unlike SR4, you need to develop your character step by step. Step 2 assign your attributes. You must spend all attributes in this step. You cannot save any attributes. The attributes give you points for knowledge and language skill that you spend in step 5. In step 5 you must spend all your knowledge and language points. You cannot save any points.
- Unlikely that spending karma in step 7 will give you more points to spend in step 5...

But it isn't explicit mentioned in the rule book. Good question for the FAQ.

Ricochet

• Omae
« Reply #119 on: <07-19-13/1423:06> »
We know there are some basic exceptions to the steps though.  For example, aptitude gets taken out of order so that you can take a 7th point in a skill at the skill phase, even though aptitude technically shouldn't be selected by the steps until the karma phase.