NEWS

"Flavor" Encounters

• 30 Replies

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <04-08-14/0100:11> »
You see a young dwarf boy hauling two buckets of dirt down the street, in the opposite direction, going where the other boy was coming from, you see a dwarf boy dragging some large wood boards.
The boy with the boards hands them to someone underground, all you can see are his arms.

You see an AR sign above the hole.

"Kaer"
-No Girls Allowed!
« Last Edit: <04-08-14/1147:25> by Bushw4cker »
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #16 on: <04-08-14/0351:15> »
It says quite a bit about my personality that I'd knock the guy unconscious and tell the crowd I'm bringing him to an asylum since he's clearly suicidal and needs the doctors performing 'tests' on him.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <04-08-14/0653:20> »
You see a Mime Desperately trying to escape a Physical Barrier Spell...

Is it an act? or someone doesn't like mimes?
« Last Edit: <04-08-14/1149:38> by Bushw4cker »
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #18 on: <04-08-14/1040:36> »
For Christmas Encounter you could use my Jolly Old Ork.

Santa Ork who brings guns to all the needy SINless in the Barrens.

Your poem is adorable.  :)  However, I can't picture Santa Ork bringing guns to the Barrens.  It sounds like it would lead to the destruction of whole city blocks.  Granted, the cynic in me wants to think that a mega might do this kind of thing just to get that response.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <04-08-14/1104:02> »

Your poem is adorable.  :)  However, I can't picture Santa Ork bringing guns to the Barrens.  It sounds like it would lead to the destruction of whole city blocks.  Granted, the cynic in me wants to think that a mega might do this kind of thing just to get that response.

He only brings Guns and ammo to the Gangers who have been good boys and girls...well relatively speaking.
« Last Edit: <04-08-14/1137:17> by Bushw4cker »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #20 on: <04-08-14/1243:10> »

He only brings Guns and ammo to the Gangers who have been good boys and girls...well relatively speaking.

I keep picturing Robot Santa Claus from Futurama.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <04-08-14/1331:54> »
I need to think of an Easter Encounter...

Maybe something involving Dragon Eggs.
« Last Edit: <04-08-14/1333:44> by Bushw4cker »

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <04-08-14/1704:32> »
A mime is a terrible thing to waste.

You could also have a more literal milk run - where your runners get contacted by mistake by somebody rich but new to shadowrunning because he wants real bread, milk, and eggs.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <04-08-14/2139:50> »

I thought it'd be interesting to have a religious group (any) accost the runners as well and start to debate them.

Don't know how Familiar with the whole Earthdawn/Shadowrun connection (No one made any comment about my Dwarf Kaer Encounter  :'( ), but you could have Guy with a AR sign saying "The Horrors Are Coming", the AR sign shows videos of Bug spirit Attacks, Articles of about the Shedim, Changlings, ect..

SirValeq

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <04-09-14/0224:16> »
(No one made any comment about my Dwarf Kaer Encounter  :'( )

I loved it!

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <04-09-14/1342:47> »
I like to take modern day news stories for some of my "Flavor" Encounters. History does tend to repeat  itself.

You see a group of teenagers in flipping over a C-N Jackrabbit.

Knockout game with Orks and Trolls targeting Humans and Elves.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #26 on: <04-10-14/0039:16> »
A mime is a terrible thing to waste.

You could also have a more literal milk run - where your runners get contacted by mistake by somebody rich but new to shadowrunning because he wants real bread, milk, and eggs.

That's not a milk run; that's a cake walk.  :D

I loved it!

I'm just not sure if it's ICly appropriate, though, that's all.  Haven't read all of the Artifacts missions, though, so I don't know if the term 'kaer' is out and about in the SR world.  Don't think so, but I could be wrong ...

Some of my best 'flavor encounters' were ones I generated myself.  Do a hiring meet on a bus - one guy is hired by the Johnson to do a job for X amount of money, he hires the rest of the runners - and, while on the bus, a trio of gangers gets on and harasses their way down the bus to the back.  See how the PCs react.  One thing I did was to stunbolt all three of them in rapid succession, then pull the 'stop requested' cord, get off the bus and drag them off with me, then lift a) all their weapons and b) something personal from each of them.  I then planted those items in the vehicle (stolen, of course) I used as the initial get-away vehicle for the heist.

Another was purchasing a half-dozen cheap ground drones, and letting neighborhood kids play with all but one (I used the last one) in the street/lot near the facility.  A good way to cover your snooping - do it in plain sight, but with an obvious reasonable explanation for what's going on...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #27 on: <04-10-14/0107:16> »
Another was purchasing a half-dozen cheap ground drones, and letting neighborhood kids play with all but one (I used the last one) in the street/lot near the facility.  A good way to cover your snooping - do it in plain sight, but with an obvious reasonable explanation for what's going on...

That's one of the greatest things ive ever read. If none of my players do this, someone is gonna do it to them.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

SirValeq

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <04-10-14/0156:24> »

I loved it!

I'm just not sure if it's ICly appropriate, though, that's all.  Haven't read all of the Artifacts missions, though, so I don't know if the term 'kaer' is out and about in the SR world.  Don't think so, but I could be wrong ...

The thing is, children invent new words all the time and then stop using them as they grow up. The word 'kaer' might not exist in any written SR material, but what's to stop kids from inventing it? It does sound cool and while it can have no meaning for the PCs it could be fun for the Players themselves if they have experience with Earthdawn.  :)

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <04-10-14/0216:32> »
one thing I do on my runs (I use roll20) is I set up the first screen as a KSAF news screen. There is usually a primary news article story that talks about an event related to the last week's run and how it affects the world, and I'll even do a little news bar across the bottom with other information (which may or may not have anything at all to do with the campaign, but the more paranoid ones tend to read those two).

But I love that pizza drone idea, I think I'll have to use it.

On my maps I also try to add a lot of random things to it, whether it be drunk people, drug users, prostitutes (male and female) and other random things that they may or may not want to investigate. And then I even added a wacky waving inflatable tube man on one map.

I added a screen shot of one of my news casts to give an idea of what I'm talking about. (couldn't do an image link since I have no storage space from work that I have access too).
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."