NEWS

How many arrows can I hold?

• 59 Replies

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <01-27-15/0452:08> »
I really like the idea of treating Arrows like throwing weapons.
Thanks for that inspiration, Medicineman.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <01-27-15/0523:56> »
You're welcome :)
@ Quiver
in SR4A there's a modification (called Munitionswechselautomatik in German, seletced Ammo? (forgot the english expression, sorry.... )
which ,if installed in a Revolver and coupled with a Smartlink, lets you choose what kind of Bullet you could fire.
as a houserule you could use the same Modification.
This quiver is also a "quick Draw Holster" for Arrows  (ImO)

with a selected Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

pts

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <01-27-15/0607:20> »
Well, you could add electronic draw support so a 70lbs bow handles like 35 lbs, which would still allow saracen speed shooting without excessive strength requirements...
« Last Edit: <01-27-15/0611:08> by pts »

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <01-27-15/0743:34> »
I think it's been shown those Arrows can still penetrate contemporary medieval armour, so a properly shaped arrow should actually be outright workable.
Still, not a bad idea.
Maybe one day we'll have an options book that allows readying of multiple arrows; currently, not even the Quick Draw power allows to load Bows fast.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <01-27-15/1755:31> »
Hmmm, well since we'd been discussing this... an interesting little article of someone quite thoroughly demolishing that clip... http://geekdad.com/2015/01/danish-archer/
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <01-27-15/1805:10> »
Yeah, read that, though the comments got a little out of hand.

The summary was basically most of the narration was wrong, and firing that fast in that style sacrifices power and accuracy for speed.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #21 on: <01-27-15/1824:47> »
Regardless of how many tries it took him to do some of his trick shots, it's obvious that he did the trick shots.  The video never once claims that accuracy over distance is the goal, so I don't see what the reasoning is for pointing that out.  Back quivers were never tremendously common, based on images that I've found online of manuscripts and such.  Far more common seems to be the hip quiver, which makes sense for most war archers.  You're on a battlement, you pull an arrow when you're told, draw when you're told, and fire when you're told.  You're not moving around and trying to be part of close quarters combat.

Sorry Darzil, but that article you linked seems to be full of hyperbole.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <01-27-15/1830:48> »
Sorry Darzil, but that article you linked seems to be full of hyperbole.
Wasn't me who linked it (I considered doing so, but didn't because of that reason).

Personally I felt the author of the comments completely overplayed it. It was a fun video, with some fun stuff. Personally I preferred some of the videos linked in the comments of that linked one, though the Howard Hall one showed it's age, badly.  The gymnastic archery one was good, though.

I wouldn't muck around with an RPG with that as evidence, though! I wish the trickshots one was billed as that, rather than a "everything everyone tells you is wrong" clickbait piece, but then I'm never keen on those.
« Last Edit: <01-27-15/1836:00> by Darzil »

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <01-27-15/1832:43> »
It was a bit hyperbolic... but then so was the video itself so *shrugs* just pointing out that while it would definitely fall under the 'Trick Shot' action, for combat seems it's pretty much useless.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #24 on: <01-27-15/1849:21> »
Wasn't me who linked it (I considered doing so, but didn't because of that reason).

Sorry about that!

It was a bit hyperbolic... but then so was the video itself so *shrugs*

The video made claims about trick shots, accuracy, etc.  And then backed them up by showing you the shots being performed.  Quite literally the opposite of hyperbole.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <01-27-15/1934:15> »
Thinking about that, with '75 technology, shouldn't it be possible to have a bow with a small magazine and telescope arrow shafts that loads itself a few times?  ;)

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <01-27-15/1936:48> »
It also made a lot of claims about historical archery, that's the main thing that seems to be getting people upset.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <01-27-15/1938:15> »
Thinking about that, with '75 technology, shouldn't it be possible to have a bow with a small magazine and telescope arrow shafts that loads itself a few times?  ;)

The problem with telescoping arrows is.. well, they're designed to collapse... along the same line that it applies force when it strikes a target. Seems a little.. problematic to me.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #28 on: <01-27-15/2217:53> »
The Chinese invented the repeating crossbow many centuries ago. Fully feasible to use it for SR.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <01-27-15/2221:25> »
the Chu-ko-nu only fired light bolts, quite different from the bolts fired by modern crossbows.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor