NEWS

Restricted Gear Quality and Thunderstruck

• 45 Replies

8-bit

« Reply #15 on: <01-20-15/0240:32> »
I would say it comes with 1 clip of Gauss Ammo and 1 Power Clip. That has it's own drawbacks, and it doesn't seem game-breaking to me. Especially since you use Restricted Gear, you would think it might come with a little extra.
Then you have to do it for every other weapon, too. But it's not intended for weapons to include ammo.
It's just this single case where you have to break out from the usual way. And do you really want to make a general rule because of a single edge-case? Seems a bit overboard to me.

Not really every weapon. Just any weapon you pick up with Restricted Gear.

I mean, you have a point, and I'm honestly on the edge about it. Not really keen to just give free stuff away. It also seems disappointing to a player, and just a tad unadventurous, to flat out not allow someone to pick up a Gauss Rifle if they want to (provided they have Restricted Gear). Hell, it might be fun. So, I don't know.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #16 on: <01-20-15/0336:27> »
In case of weapons I would provide a single load of ammo through the quality. Once that is gone then they are on their own. Of course you don't really need anything more than a single power pack as it recharges.

So at my table Restricted Gear would get you 1 Thunderstruck Gauss Rifle, 1 clip sized Power Pack & 1 clip holding 10 Gauss Rifle Rounds.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #17 on: <01-20-15/0343:14> »
*nods sagely* Black Market Pipeline.  Background is that you had to abandon your previous one on your last 'run - you know, the one that wiped out your old team?  So you need to talk to your guy in order to get another one.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <01-20-15/0603:22> »
So would you do the same for a Ares Archon Heavy MP Laser, which needs a 20F power backpack?
Would you also provide the 4x2 missiles for the Mitsubishi Yakusoku MRL? If yes, any missiles or would you choose for the player, as there are three types ranging from 16F to 22F?

Just curious ;)

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <01-20-15/0712:26> »
I actually gave that a lot of thought and as long as the character pays for the rockets, all the same type, sure.
The Archon ... Now that's a vehicle weapon so no packs for you! (External source only!)

Red Rivka

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <01-20-15/0721:56> »
Wait, do weapons come with ammo or don't they? People have asserted both in this thread. My nuyen-pinching characters hinge on the answer. I'm talking book rules - if it's a house rule, my GM will tell me or i'll tell my players.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <01-20-15/0802:18> »
Ammo is always separate. This thread exists just because the quality only lets you get one item. And now choosing the "right" item would also get you something extra, although it's not RAW.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <01-20-15/0807:30> »
It isn't stated but normally people have to buy ammo separately, even with separate acquisition rolls.

However, in case of the quality Restricted Equipment, I would houserule that a single load (clip eye) can be bought with the weapon without the requirement to take the quality again. (Seriously 20 karma after CC). But again that's my rule.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <01-20-15/0838:57> »
Here is a hint:
Nobody forces players to use the quality for a weapon that has special ammo requirements. There are enough items that have high availability and are usable without additional houserules.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <01-20-15/1215:12> »
I just firmly believe that if a weapon like that is unlocked by using that much (almost half without taking Negatives) of the initial "flexibility" Karma, that it should unlock it fully by allowing one to purchase everything needed to actually use it as well. I think it's a dick move to insist on the other way.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Miri

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <01-20-15/1718:20> »
I just firmly believe that if a weapon like that is unlocked by using that much (almost half without taking Negatives) of the initial "flexibility" Karma, that it should unlock it fully by allowing one to purchase everything needed to actually use it as well. I think it's a dick move to insist on the other way.

*Looks at username* Gee.. I wonder why  ;D

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #26 on: <01-20-15/1730:28> »
Well you can do away with worrying about power, stick it into a heavy weapon mount (steel lynx/fb-bumblebee) and then get on the phone to your contacts as soon as the game starts to source the ammo.
Not ideal, but you'd prob be better off with a laser anyway as that only needs power
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #27 on: <01-20-15/2043:01> »
... I feel like I'm calling into a vacuum.  :P
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

8-bit

« Reply #28 on: <01-20-15/2043:39> »

Black Market Pipeline. Got it.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #29 on: <01-20-15/2114:02> »

that's because what you speak is wisdom..... and that never, EVER overrides the "Shiny new toy!!" syndrome many people experience.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.