NEWS

Magic, choosing your Tradition...

• 12 Replies

archamedius

• Newb
« on: <03-13-14/1016:57> »
Suppose I wanted to play an alternate tradition to the two main ones described in the rulebook (Hermetic and Shamanistic).  For instance, say I wanted to play someone who followed the taoist or buddhist path and was a mage as well?  Could I play a taoist or buddhist traidion?  I would assume I would still have to choose either logic or charisma for drain, but is there any reason I cannot do this, particularly for a SR5 Missions character?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <03-13-14/1038:28> »
I'll preface this by saying that I'm no player or expert on Missions legality.  I would argue that Buddhist or Taoists would probably be able to be shoe-horned into Hermetic or Shamanic traditions.  The reason the devs go with Hermetic and Shamanic is because they are extremely broad-spectrum.  In 4th edition, there were specific rules for a lot of variant traditions, but for 5th edition I'd just say "I'm a shaman" and then play a Buddhist.  That kind of thing.  This is easier to justify with a tradition like Shinto though - it's pretty much Japanese shamanism anyway.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

biotech66

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-13-14/1238:43> »
Right now there are only two traditions, so if you want Missions legal characters its the big two so far that you can flavor change how you want.  If the older editions, a magic book comes out and give players a crap load of new traditions and the stats associated with them.  Be patient grasshopper!
Speech|Thought|Matrix|Astral

archamedius

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <03-13-14/1424:33> »
But it is acceptable to say "My character follows the Taoist Tradition, which is identical to the shamanistic rules"? Right?

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #4 on: <03-13-14/1501:14> »
But it is acceptable to say "My character follows the Taoist Tradition, which is identical to the shamanistic rules"? Right?

Yes. 

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-13-14/1528:46> »
The current magical traditions are the broadest of broad strokes. Example:

Harlequin is self-initiated into the high double-digits, but he usually Masks his aura. He doesn't follow any magical tradition, but he has a strong hermetic bias. He is a swordmaster and wizard adept.
http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Harlequin

Mechanically the immortal elf who follows a tradition that no one else even remembers? Hermetic mystic adept.
« Last Edit: <03-13-14/2319:27> by ImaginalDisc »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <03-13-14/2304:40> »
Right from the Bull's mouth :P

I take that to mean:

"Add what flavor you like. Call it the "Green skinned hamster, Lord of Toast" tradition for all we care, as long as it obeys either the shamanic or hermetic magic rules"

Which makes sense. The 2 over broad traditions listed are basically the separation of the use of magic, but they couldn't possibly cover all the "flavors" of individual traditions.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Palladion

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <03-14-14/0055:11> »
"Add what flavor you like. Call it the "Green skinned hamster, Lord of Toast" tradition for all we care, as long as it obeys either the shamanic or hermetic magic rules"

Aaaaand a new Spirit of Beasts is born! I am naming my next pink mohawk (or maybe just next character in general) "Lord of Toast".

Heh heh, awesome.
P A L L A D I O N

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #8 on: <03-14-14/1054:24> »
New Mentor Spirit: Powdered Toast Man
Advantages: Tastes great on toast
Disadvantages: Farts on toast

Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« Reply #9 on: <03-14-14/1055:18> »
LOL!!!  I love it!

Cowdragon

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <03-27-14/0219:04> »
Meh. I'm waiting for Yak Shaving Day...  8)

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <03-27-14/0227:29> »
You know, every time I see this topic title, I get REM stuck in my head...
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <03-27-14/0725:07> »
I really like that song-title because it's slang for flipping out, which makes it quite fitting for D&D Clerics/Paladins that get mad and go against their alignment.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!