NEWS

Micro wire and its many uses!!

• 22 Replies

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #15 on: <07-20-18/1504:26> »
Think of it as a thin, strong piano wire. Makes a wicked garrote. Imagine trying to rappel with it, though, even with special gloves and protective gear? (shudder). I want a rappelling line to be as thick as my thumb, for comfort if not for strength.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <07-20-18/1617:45> »
I did a little investigation and I think the -8 AP on the rappel with microwire is just there to simulate it slicing through your unprotected hands.

A) using a pair of 50¥ gloves prevents the damage entirely, plus there is no mention of potential damage from simply handling the rope (only if you try to rappel).

B) actual monowire used a fence-top (like razor or concertina) deals 8P damage with no AP. (Core Rulebook, Pg 359)

C) this is before the location called shots (which would be an interesting thing to apply to this sort of situation)

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #17 on: <07-21-18/0412:44> »
...I used to fly sport kites.  Back in the early 90s Kevlar lines were very popular as they had almost no stretch. They were also very dangerous as they could easily cut deep into skin when taut.  One had to be very careful on a populated beach or flying near other kites as it would cut though other types of lines like a knife through warm butter.  It was replaced with an advanced version of Spectra fibre (the same material used in parachute lines) and eventually banned.  I still have a set from one of the early quad line kites I bought.

Now micro wire would be that much worse considering it is metal and most likely has a smaller diameter.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Dudesomebody

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <07-26-18/0101:18> »
...I used to fly sport kites.  Back in the early 90s Kevlar lines were very popular as they had almost no stretch. They were also very dangerous as they could easily cut deep into skin when taut.  One had to be very careful on a populated beach or flying near other kites as it would cut though other types of lines like a knife through warm butter.  It was replaced with an advanced version of Spectra fibre (the same material used in parachute lines) and eventually banned.  I still have a set from one of the early quad line kites I bought.

Now micro wire would be that much worse considering it is metal and most likely has a smaller diameter.

Yeah, but I could see it not being as good as monofilament, at least it shouldn't have the -8 ap. I do think it could work for other things, still make a nasty fence and I do think putting a weight at the end would make a nasty whip...just not an armor piercing whip.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #19 on: <08-11-18/2305:47> »
...I actually was cut once after grabbing kevlar lines with my bare hand to dump the wind out of the kite sail so it would immediately fall to the ground to avoid hurting this kid on one of those pedal beach trikes who suddenly thought it would be fun to turn and ride through my lines as I was doing a ground pass. I showed him the deep cuts I had and said that could have easily happened to him.  He avoided riding around where people were flying kites the rest of the afternoon.

Yeah anything that thin and extremely taut can still cause injury.  That pretty much ended my afternoon as well.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <08-13-18/1356:50> »
Definitely. Microwire can cause injuries, just not the same level of injuries as an actual monofilament whip.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #21 on: <08-13-18/1613:48> »
Definitely. Microwire can cause injuries, just not the same level of injuries as an actual monofilament whip.
Indeed. If it was monowire, kyoto kid would be missing most of a hand.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #22 on: <08-26-18/2120:16> »
...yeah, and back in the 90s prosthetic technology was pretty simplistic.  Even today with advances in neural interface and 3D printing, we are still not close to a 100% fully functional cyber replacement (and the best ones available cost a "wee bit" more than they do for our characters).

As for genetically matched vat grown replacements, that is even further off yet in RL.

...oh and since then I wear gloves when I fly sport and power kites, even with Spectra fibre lines.  That was not a pleasant experience.