NEWS

Micro wire and its many uses!!

• 22 Replies

Dudesomebody

• Newb
« on: <07-18-18/2324:29> »
  I have never used this stuff to rappel with, mostly I use it strung across doors. Once I had a bunch of the stuff strung between two poles and made a portable fence. Then there was the incident with the many flying eyes with makeshift microwire whips....that didnt end well for anyone involved, including the party.
  I saw someone on here talking about making a violin bow with a length of microwire in it, kind of a concealed weapon, how do you made folk use the stuff?? I need ideas for my game, gotta remind the GM we hate him  ;)

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #1 on: <07-19-18/1212:31> »
Are you talking mono-wire (like used in mono-whips), or the thin wire used in specialized rappelling gear?  I don't think that they are same?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-19-18/1225:52> »
Micro-wire is about the same as fishing line, just much sturdier.

Sure, it's pretty useful. Just not as a makeshift weapon...

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-19-18/1258:58> »
Most of the uses I can think of involve traps.
Ever walked through a door, only to trigger a shotgun blast knee high?
That ganger NEVER saw it coming.
A grenade could just as easily been substituted.

A smart person could use micro-wire to trigger a rube goldberg machine to set off a nice chain of events.
If you don't know what a rube goldberg machine is, think the mouse trap board game.

As a weapon, pretty useless without a weight tied at the end of it.
Could still be used as a garrote.

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <07-19-18/1441:51> »
So here's a trick I used in my game as part of an MCT Zero-Zone. More useful for me as a GM, but I could see a PC using this too. Note that while it doesn't strictly require microwire, having it is useful due to its tensile strength.

You take 2 small flying drones, a length of microwire, 2 wireless/proximity-release pins, 2 grenades of your choice(I prefer Frag or High Ex), and a bit of Reuthenium paint.

The drones and grenades are painted with Reuthenium to make them hard to see; the wire already is. Each grenade is attached to the bottom of a drone with a release catch that triggers on either wireless command or proximity to the target. Attached to the grenades and strung between them is a length of wire, say about 2 meters.

The drones fly remotely or via command towards the target, damn near-invisible, as is their payload. When they reach it, the releases trigger, and you now have grenade Bolas that wrap around them as the drones keep flying past on either side and away.

The target is going to need to see the drones coming to avoid them. If he doesn't, he gets entangled by wire anchored by about 5-6 pounds of explody weights. This means he has 3 seconds to break the wire and run/find and throw the grenades/etc. Even if the drones miss or only partially tag him, most people won't immediately think to run. They'll stand there for a second confused.

And the best part is the trick is repeatable. All you need to replace is the grenades and wire. However, this is obviously not a wet work trick that will work in public or in heavily forested terrain where things can catch the wire, and you will need to make sure the drones don't get hacked.

Oh, and if you want to be truly cruel, replace the grenades with regular weights and the microwire with monowire.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-19-18/1536:24> »
I'm partial to this particular use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYfkhduBMTw
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Dudesomebody

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-19-18/2019:07> »

That was how I did the fence, just strung it between two poles I could relocate. Not perfect, but useful for a make shift defense. As far as weapon, I think a weight at the end would make a poor mans monowhip, thats...what I did with the drones....I still owe a few party members new fingers.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #7 on: <07-19-18/2106:08> »

That was how I did the fence, just strung it between two poles I could relocate. Not perfect, but useful for a make shift defense. As far as weapon, I think a weight at the end would make a poor mans monowhip, thats...what I did with the drones....I still owe a few party members new fingers.
Then you're definitely talking about monofilament line, not microwire. One cuts through damn near anything not designed specifically to deal with it, and the other is essentially fishing line.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-19-18/2334:32> »
I think the only way to make microwire potentially dangerous would be to spin it like a weed-whacker. Even still, it would probably cut you up, but probably not slice off fingers (unless they just let themselves continue to be cut)

To really be a quick and dirty weapon you need monowire, which is much more expensive.

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <07-20-18/0020:37> »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3C5GN15kas
Originally wasn't going to link this, but it does show a few tricks that could be used with microwire.

With enough time and patience, microwire can be an assassin's best friend.
Microwires used as tripwires for explosives or head height heavy guns come to mind here.
Not to mention the option of just sneaking behind and using it as garrote wire in a pinch.
You can do much the same if you're expecting unwanted company.
« Last Edit: <07-20-18/0237:37> by fseperent »

Dudesomebody

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <07-20-18/0142:51> »
I think the only way to make microwire potentially dangerous would be to spin it like a weed-whacker. Even still, it would probably cut you up, but probably not slice off fingers (unless they just let themselves continue to be cut)

To really be a quick and dirty weapon you need monowire, which is much more expensive.

I thought microwire did 8 damage and -8 armor if you dont have the gloves? Admittedly I could be missing an errata or something, did it get nerfed??

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <07-20-18/0252:31> »
Errata didn't change microwire.
For some reason, I was thinking it was like fishing line with a strong test.
Did not expect it to be a less lethal monowire.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <07-20-18/0300:56> »
I too did not remember that level of damage...

Granted, the 8P damage is for putting your whole weight into it and trying to rappel. I imagine trying to rappel with fishing line without the proper protection would deal at least a little damage too.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #13 on: <07-20-18/0750:36> »

I thought microwire did 8 damage and -8 armor if you dont have the gloves? Admittedly I could be missing an errata or something, did it get nerfed??
That's for trying to rappel down it with your hands gripping the line. It doesn't mean you get to use that damage code wherever you run it.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Dudesomebody

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <07-20-18/1233:47> »
Crap, I dont think anyone in our group ever thought of that. well the GM will be pleased... need to dig through the gear section for new ways to make his head explode now :P