NEWS

2 Edge Boost Questions (From Last Nights Game)

• 3 Replies

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« on: <11-02-20/1831:32> »
Hello everyone,

Last nights game went well, but we had a question that I want to make sure we played correctly.   I had a player want to give an ally 1 Edge (CRB p46).  The last sentence, is what created the question. 

Player A has 5 edge:  (Wants to give Player B an edge)
Player B has 2 edge (but needs 1 more):

The table had two ways it interpreted the rule:

My interpretation:
Player A removes 2 Edge and gives one of the two to Player B. 
Resulting:
Player A has 3 edge
Player B has 3 edge.

Another players interpretation:
Player A removes 2 edge and then gives one of his remaining edge to Player B
Resulting:
Player A has 2 edge
Player B has 3 edge.

Just let me know the collectives opinion. 

Thanks
SL

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-02-20/1929:43> »
First of all, I'd like to say how much I appreciate a page citation.  It makes rules answers so much easier (and more likely to come).  So, thank you!

That being said, here's the rule in question:

Give ally 1 Edge: You do something that
offers an advantage for another member
of your team. Take away two of your own
Edge, and give one to a teammate.

I'd like to think that if the intent were B from the original post, then it would have said something like "Discard two of your own Edge, then give another remaining Edge to a teammate."
 However, something I've learned since joining Errata is there's no water held in the "if it meant one thing, then it would have said something else" argument.

All I have to go on is what I guess the writer meant.  And in my judgement/experience, I presume the intention is you gather up 2 edge from your available pool... and of those two you pulled out one goes to the teammate and one is discarded.  That is, I think A from the original post is what's the intent here.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-02-20/1950:05> »
First of all, I'd like to say how much I appreciate a page citation.  It makes rules answers so much easier (and more likely to come).  So, thank you!

That being said, here's the rule in question:

Give ally 1 Edge: You do something that
offers an advantage for another member
of your team. Take away two of your own
Edge, and give one to a teammate.

I'd like to think that if the intent were B from the original post, then it would have said something like "Discard two of your own Edge, then give another remaining Edge to a teammate."
 However, something I've learned since joining Errata is there's no water held in the "if it meant one thing, then it would have said something else" argument.

All I have to go on is what I guess the writer meant.  And in my judgement/experience, I presume the intention is you gather up 2 edge from your available pool... and of those two you pulled out one goes to the teammate and one is discarded.  That is, I think A from the original post is what's the intent here.

That particular edge action was mine ... it's A ... both players end up with 3
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <11-02-20/2051:13> »
SSDR and Banshee,

Thanks for the input.  I thought that was the right answer but have several new players I am teaching and want to make sure I am doing it correctly. 

Best,
SL
Si vis pacem, para bellum