NEWS

Rigger Gear

• 14 Replies

ZombieAcePilot

• Chummer
« on: <12-12-12/1647:39> »
Hey everyone,

Looking for some help compiling all the gear I need to make a crack rigger. So far this is what I have:

Control Rig
Simsense Booster
Commlink
Simrig w/Hotsim
Reflex Recorder

So first of all, some of this has to be implanted, some of it may not have to be. What do you recommend as far as internal vs external for things like commlinks and simrigs? What other cyber/bioware would I benefit from?

What programs are a must on my commlink? What commlink related gear should I purchase?

Ener

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <12-12-12/1655:51> »
Personally I prefer my Commlinks outside of my skull, mostly because that way you can do hardware upgrades (response modules mostly) without going under the knife again.

Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure if a simsense accelerator would be a worthwhile addition to your list as I'm not sure if it has to be (or can be) attached to the devices you are rigging in order to be efficient.

Kat9

« Reply #2 on: <12-12-12/1658:59> »
Command Ergonomic 5
ECCM 5
Analyze Ergonomic 5
Encrypt Ergonomic 5
Purge 5
Scan 5
Browse 3
Edit 3

ZombieAcePilot

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <12-12-12/1744:14> »
How many passes becomes too many? Running in hotsim with the accelerator and booster would put me at 5 passes. More passes is good, but when do you run out of things to do?

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #4 on: <12-12-12/1817:30> »
How many passes becomes too many? Running in hotsim with the accelerator and booster would put me at 5 passes. More passes is good, but when do you run out of things to do?

When all the nodes are hacked, all the enemies are neutralized, and your team has made a clean get-away.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #5 on: <12-12-12/1948:13> »

When all the nodes are hacked, all the enemies are neutralized, and your team has made a clean get-away.
And you've updated your blog at the same time.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #6 on: <12-13-12/1129:37> »

i wouldnt worry about that mate, more IP = more better :-), especially if you're going for a fire support rigger.
your GM has many tools to combat you with though, so make sure you go with non-standard links, ECCM and a way to defend yourself from Cybercombat/hacking attempts. a decent rating IC/Agent is a good call.
high response, firewall and system are good on all your networked kit as well.
the last thing you want your hardcore combat drone doing is working against you and killing your team mates.

if you're jumping in, i'd make sure that your armour has a motion detector and biomonitor on it. have them alert you when you take damage or sense motion, this is especially important if you're the "sit in the van" type of rigger, as the best counter a GM has is for corpsec to just find the van with a radio signal scanner (v.cheap) and either dumpshock + detain you or start filling you full of lead while your mind is elsewhere.
internal camera is a good mod for your rigging van as well for similar reasons

Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <12-13-12/1252:11> »
All great advice. One more thing though. I like having at least one Fly Spy drone, one drone with a silenced weapon with SnS ammo (or capsule DMSO + narcoject if ST hates SnS), and one "I'll kill you all" LMG with Ex-Ex drone. As for the van (or whatever vehicle) Vehicle Tag Eraser, Run Flat Tires, Chameleon Coating, Morphing License Plate, ECM 10, GridLink with Override.... I think that covers most bases.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <12-13-12/1258:38> »

More than 2 is generally overkill, though I can see having 3 in the matrix since it isn't as high a cost to get to that. More than 2 in "meat" though, complete and utter waste of time and resources.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <12-13-12/1907:13> »
Having more IPs in the matrix is preferable as you can task multiple drones and hack at the same time. In meat tho, I agree with A4BG.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #10 on: <12-13-12/2358:11> »
Having more IPs in the matrix is preferable as you can task multiple drones and hack at the same time. In meat tho, I agree with A4BG.

Whereas I find myself constantly in situations where you need at least 3 to keep on top of the game. If you don't have at least 1 IP more than your opponents, you're doing it wrong or your GM is.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <12-14-12/0002:39> »

Whereas I find myself constantly in situations where you need at least 3 to keep on top of the game. If you don't have at least 1 IP more than your opponents, you're doing it wrong or your GM is.

One could say the same if more than one foe makes it into the second pass, depending on things.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #12 on: <12-27-12/1931:53> »
Not sure where I found it or who it was that posted it but this is a list I've found helpful in the past:

"Some equipment you might want for an Exceptional, Dedicated Rigger...

*High Rating Comlink (6+ in all categories)
*Approrpiate Software (Command, Sniffer, Scan, ECCM, as Primary with Backup hacking programs to actually take over Drones)
*Simsense Booster (Increase IP's)
Simsense Accelerator (with Simsense Booster allows 5 IP)
Non-Standard Wireless Link (Harder to Detect)
Directional Antenna (adds +2 to Signal Rating)
Skinweb Array (Harder to Jam at Origin)
Customized Comlink Interface (Bonus to Initiative)
Optimization for Command Program
Response Enhancer at highest rating available (Improves Command Channels)
*Control Rig (+2 Dice)
*Control Rig Boosters (Increase Native Skill in Vehicle while Jumped In)
*Reakt Transgenic Modification (For Defensive Reaction Rolls, will not help in all circumstances)
*Reception Enhancer (For processing Sensory Data - Perception Tests)
*Attention Co-Processor (Same as Reception Enhancers)
*Math SPU (for EW Assistance)
Satellite Link (Extended Communication)

I may have forgotten something, but I am not sure what right this second......

With all of the above systems (assuming adequate Essence) you will be a very Prime Rigger, and combined with top of the line piloting skills in a variety of vehicles, and maybe some physical speed augments you will very hard to beat... Your biggest challenge will be maintaining signal range in an area that is devoid of actual signals... Drones can only communicate at the limits of THEIR signal range, so you must be within this range for two-way communication, which is not hard to do in an urban environment due to the way the Matrix (and Mesh Networks) works, but in the middle of the Gobi Desert it will be a challenge unless all vehicles and yourself are equipped with a Satellite Link."
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

jscotshady

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <12-28-12/1645:43> »
I agree heartily with DarkLord but I have one thing to add and a question fo you as well...

First the suggestion.  Make sure with the software that you check out the ergonomic and optimized program options as these will greatly improve your program use.  Also, the optimized comm mod is certainly a must.

Now the question, DarkLord, can you give some source information for the gear you listed.  I'm a dedicated rigger and I'm not familiar with a few of these.  Specifically the Response and Reception Enhancers.  Thanks.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #14 on: <12-28-12/1857:27> »
I agree heartily with DarkLord but I have one thing to add and a question fo you as well...

First the suggestion.  Make sure with the software that you check out the ergonomic and optimized program options as these will greatly improve your program use.  Also, the optimized comm mod is certainly a must.

Now the question, DarkLord, can you give some source information for the gear you listed.  I'm a dedicated rigger and I'm not familiar with a few of these.  Specifically the Response and Reception Enhancers.  Thanks.

That would be Unwired, on pg. 196 even, for the Response Enhancer.
The Reception enhancer is Pg. 70 of Augmentation
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept