NEWS

What happened to Dunkelzahn?

• 188 Replies

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #15 on: <03-28-11/2148:32> »
The Horrors are very very very very x infinity evil spirits that break through to our world when the mana level gets high enough, and well eat EVERYTHING. They are the big bad in the game Earthdawn and back in the day Earthdawn and Shadowrun were owned by the same company and there was a certain amount of crossover the Horrors being part of it.

Ghostwalker hates the Azzies because a man named Darke who worked for them was trying to bring the Horrors over early, causing Dunklezahn (who is Ghostwalker's brother) to sacrifice himself to stop them.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #16 on: <03-28-11/2151:18> »
So what are The Horrors the Dunkelzahn is trying to keep back.
Shadowrun is the 6th World (or timeframe).

During the middle of the 4th Age, when Magic is at it's peak, astral spirits called Horrors are able to bridfge the gap between their innately magical home, and the Earth. It's like killing off the dinosaurs, and they set about torturing, killing and destroying about everything.

Towards the end of the 4th Age, magic starts receding, and they are weakened, some expiring on earth because they've stayed too long, others retreating home before the bridge collapses.

During the 5th Age, there's no magic.

Now, during the 6th Age, magic is ramping up again, and in a thousand years or so, that bridge will be reformed. Big D is going to hold that off for as long as possible.... you know, big Saving the World type stuff...

Also was it ever clear about why Chostwalker hates the Azzies so much? Aside from them being Azzies.

Ghostwalker has a particular hatred of Blood Magic, mainly because it attracts suffering (and Horrors). Most great dragons feel the same way, GW is just more assertive about it.

There's a quote from the old Earthdawn game (which is set in the 4th Age), where a great dragon is lamenting that Blood Magic is the greatest mistake dragons ever made (it may have even been GW in his former name. Mountainshadow I think?
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #17 on: <03-28-11/2153:54> »
Ghostwalker was Icewing (edit and Doll Maker, because he made the drakes), Dunklezahn was Mountainshadow (edit and Far Scholar).
« Last Edit: <03-28-11/2155:41> by Angelone »
la vida no vale nada

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #18 on: <03-28-11/2155:38> »
Mountainshadow is Dunkie.  Not exactly very secret if you know German, apparently.  (Or so I heard.  I only know English and Bad English from dealing with folks from the USA.).

I think Ghostwalker is also just a really angry person, period.  Some people see him as the "Second Coming" of Dunkie (Don't ask, I can only handle so much stupid and crazy for one lifetime), and, well, "Jesus is coming and he is pissed!"
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #19 on: <03-28-11/2156:42> »
Are the Shedim a form of The Horrors? Sounds rather similiar, they hate the living and cause pain, death, and misery.

What chances that at the end of the Dawn of the Artifacts saga there'll be another force to help repel The Horrors?
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

Pathica

• Newb
  • Eats paint chips
« Reply #20 on: <03-28-11/2157:24> »
The 'down-cycle hunting', always thought it was a cool phrase, but don't know who or why?
~There is no gravity, the world just sucks.~

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #21 on: <03-28-11/2157:54> »
The Shedim are "The Horrors Lite".  From a US Brand of Beer, no less.  The Horrors make them look like wimps.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #22 on: <03-28-11/2158:43> »
That's debatable, they are precursors of the horrors, but I don't think they are. Invae or Insect spirits are also a warning the Horrors are coming.
la vida no vale nada

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #23 on: <03-28-11/2200:36> »
The 'down-cycle hunting', always thought it was a cool phrase, but don't know who or why?

Some Immortal Elves and maybe a human secret society did the down cycle hunting. Sirrug's attacks on that airliner and train was him getting revenge on some of them.
la vida no vale nada

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #24 on: <03-28-11/2201:37> »
Mountainshadow is Dunkie.  Not exactly very secret if you know German, apparently.  (Or so I heard.  I only know English and Bad English from dealing with folks from the USA.).

Dunkel means Dark and Zahn means Tooth.

I took 4 years of German and that's all I get for it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #25 on: <03-28-11/2203:36> »

Dunkel means Dark and Zahn means Tooth.

I took 4 years of German and that's all I get for it.
Better than my French.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #26 on: <03-28-11/2213:14> »
That's debatable, they are precursors of the horrors, but I don't think they are. Invae or Insect spirits are also a warning the Horrors are coming.

So these other magical threats (Shedim and da Bugs) are like the signs of things to come. Anything else from the Earthdawn material that can be speculated on?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #27 on: <03-28-11/2220:54> »
Yeah.  Metahumanity is doomed.   :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <03-28-11/2230:30> »
Anything else from the Earthdawn material that can be speculated on?
Ever since Earthdawn was released people have been compiling connections and speculation. Robert Derie has the most well-known and recent one, though I still prefer Max Rible's for any number of reasons I don't particularly feel like discussing.

The Horrors is an idiotic Cthulhu nonsense that has no place in SR. Cthulhu is fine in certain circumstances. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't one.

And this is coming from someone who has a Grade 6 physad and cyberzombie fight to the death and has no problem with a cockroach technomancer swarm. They may be far off on the horizon, but I do have my limits.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #29 on: <03-28-11/2310:30> »
So these other magical threats (Shedim and da Bugs) are like the signs of things to come. Anything else from the Earthdawn material that can be speculated on?
A) The Horrors are a LONG way off. Thousand/s of years before the ambient Mana levels are high enough for them to make the jump. Possibly longer before the big horrors (Verjigorn and co) can come across.
This is a good thing. Verjigorn was the Hunter of Great Dragons.... that's a title that gives me nightmares....
B) There are more than enough dark and twisted paths to worry about before Horrors get involved. I, along with other Earthdawn purists, am in zero hurry for Horrors to receive any focus in the SR universe.
C) Shedim and da-Bugs are just more magical entities with their own agenda and modus operandi. No worse than corps as far as I'm concerned in terms of runner-threats.
D) More and more astral entities, cyber/magic combinations and weirdness will ensue long before Horrors need to be included. Technomancers/Technocritters are a nice new flavour of Otaku, as well as SURGE-related effects.

I will be quite content as a PC and GM to never include Horrors in my games. However, when dealing with Immortal Elves or Great Dragons, as a GM I need to know that the future doom of horrors arriving is something that these ultra-long-lived NPC's are planning around, even now. These current NPC's (and surrounding organisations and corporations) are right now stockpiling everything they can so that one day, even a thousand years from now when the schedule of Horror-arrival is public knowledge, these groups will be able to survive.

Note: They're not planning to win. Just survive....
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law