Catalyst Game Labs > Errata

Updating The Books?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Reaver:

--- Quote from: Ajax on ---
Shadowrun: First Edition, 3 years; Second Edition, 6 years; Third Edition, 7 years; Fourth Edition, 7 years; Fifth Edition, 6 years and counting...
(Advanced) Dungeons & Dragons: Original Edition, 3 years; AD&D First Edition, 3 years; AD&D Second Edition, 11 years; Third Edition (3.0 and 3.5), 8 years; Fourth Edition, 6 years; Fifth Edition, 5 years and counting...
Warhammer Fantasy Battle First Edition, 1 year; Second Edition, 3 years; Third Edition, 4 years; Fourth Edition, 4 years; Fifth Edition, 4 years; Sixth Edition, 6 years; Seventh Edition, 4 years; Eighth Edition, 5 years; Age of Sigmar First Edition, 3 years; AoS Second Edition, 2 years and counting...
Pathfinder First Edition, 9 years; Second Edition, 1 year and counting...

--- End quote ---

Most editions change when the ideas run out....

If this was a normal run of shadowrun, I would say you were correct when they announced the release of a Rigger book :P  (inside joke for long time edition players). But they intentionally broke that trope this edition..

Ajax:
It’s either the Rigger book or a bankruptcy...

Michael Chandra:

--- Quote from: Ajax on ---
--- Quote from: Werlynn on ---I know that updating the actual book isn’t always easy, but the errata PDF hasn’t been touched since 2014. To me that level of neglect sends the message “we don’t care.”

--- End quote ---

I have two theories for why CGL might not have updated the Errata document in that time. Neither of these is official, just educated guesswork...

--- End quote ---
Don't forget that there were two attempts to deal with errata, which collapsed at some point. Each of them dealing with it being a big thing, then failing before reaching the finish line. That significantly impacted things. So I wouldn't take the failure as a sign of not caring.

Marcus:
We are something like a year from PF 2.0. D&D 5 dosent seem like it's in a big hurry book wise. But the industry usually updates around the time everyone else updates give or take a year. OP, is cycling 2nd editions on some of their products. I would guess we are seeing the early stages of an update cycle, but if that's 5.0 revised or 6.0 I would not be prepared to guess. The Errata thing isn't a huge deal, it not keeping the average player from gaming , and still easier to understand SR errata then pathfinder errata.

JudgeMonroe:

--- Quote from: Marcus on ---We are something like a year from PF 2.0. D&D 5 dosent seem like it's in a big hurry book wise. But the industry usually updates around the time everyone else updates give or take a year. OP, is cycling 2nd editions on some of their products. I would guess we are seeing the early stages of an update cycle, but if that's 5.0 revised or 6.0 I would not be prepared to guess. The Errata thing isn't a huge deal, it not keeping the average player from gaming , and still easier to understand SR errata then pathfinder errata.

--- End quote ---

PF2 is only about 4.5 months away from release (August 1, 2019), and D&D5 seems to want to ride a comfortable groove and be a perennial product, and it has the pop culture clout now to do it.

I would be more inclined to support an SR6 release if CGL/Topps were more enthusiastic about the brand. Is a slightly revised rule set worth the damage to your wallet when they start cranking out the same set of supplements and splatbooks? Have you read Forbidden Arcana and Kill Code and thought to yourself, "yep, these guys can crack the code for a 6th edition?"

I'd like to see a well-edited revision to the game. I have the latest fifth printing of the Master Index edition and it still has glaring omissions (the unconsciousness rules from the Quick Start Rules for instance), lacks retcon errata from other books, contains obvious errors and typos, and is still more updated than the current PDF release!

These aren't the guys I want releasing a 6th edition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version