NEWS

So, apparently, Osama Bin Laden has been shot and killed in a US military operat

• 58 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #30 on: <05-03-11/1629:39> »
First off, what's with your formatting? Are you manually hitting enter at the end of every line rather than letting the system automatically wrap your text?
I've seen it on other boards. Some PCs/Browsers will put line breaks in on the text windows when they submit.

Blond Goth Girl

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <05-03-11/1808:53> »
The military did an excellent job.  When I first heard the news I didn't believe it because of Bin Laden's doubles.

I found the humor in the attached hilarious.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #32 on: <05-03-11/2341:00> »
I openly applaud the efforts of any and all involved in getting this guy.

And out of my morbid sense of humour, I find the following link full of excellent jokes in that regard :)
http://www.news.com.au/technology/funny-or-die-the-best-osama-bin-laden-web-jokes/story-e6frfro0-1226049184047

And this just in...
... Chuck Norris returns from Pakistan.......
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <05-04-11/0041:22> »

EDIT:  Not to sound like a jerk, but assassinating key people has been and always will be a part of warfare.

But sending people out to do just that has always been denied. Previously, we have never officially sent people
out to kill generals or enemy leaders..they were always "Targets of opportunity"

First off, what's with your formatting? Are you manually hitting enter at the end of every line rather than letting the system automatically wrap your text?

I have been chewed out for doing that in the past. Seems some browsers do not put in line breaks, and force
people to have to scroll over, which gets the forumites which use those browsers testy.

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #34 on: <05-04-11/0129:21> »

EDIT:  Not to sound like a jerk, but assassinating key people has been and always will be a part of warfare.

But sending people out to do just that has always been denied. Previously, we have never officially sent people
out to kill generals or enemy leaders..they were always "Targets of opportunity"
And on that night so was he. :P As have been many many other people that the GP never hear about. Sure they're making a big deal about this, but this is showing to be more of a national morale thing than others. Probably because taking out strategic targets isn't something CentCom likes talking about. Osama has been in America's national crosshairs for a long time, and not talking about getting him would be Stranger than talking about getting him considering the national atmosphere.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <05-04-11/0936:30> »
But sending people out to do just that has always been denied. Previously, we have never officially sent people out to kill generals or enemy leaders..they were always "Targets of opportunity"

Tell that to the air crews who droped bombs on the Dora Farms to kick off the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Intel had stated Hussein was at the farm (he wasn't) so a pair of F-117A Nighthawks were dispatched to drop four 2000lb bombs on it. That doesn't sound like a "target of opportunity", that sounds like an attempt to decapitate Iraq.

I have been chewed out for doing that in the past. Seems some browsers do not put in line breaks, and force people to have to scroll over, which gets the forumites which use those browsers testy.

Tell them to upgrade their browsers.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <05-04-11/0937:09> »
And this just in...
... Chuck Norris returns from Pakistan.......

Tell him to go to a bar and order a bin Laden: two shots and a splash of water.
Power corrupts.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #37 on: <05-04-11/1316:07> »
OK, let's look at Osama and his official status:

Was he a General?  Nope.  Not in any organized military in any way, shape, or form recognized by a country.  From Private to General.  Don't even think he had any "Honorary" ranks.

Leader of a country (Elected, inherited, taken over)?  Nope.  Just another Joe Schmoe.

Recognized as any kind of official in any way?  Nope.  He didn't even  have Diplomatic Immunity.

So, thusly, he's in the same boat as any other terrorist or other criminal type that kills lots of people.  A viable wetwork target.

"Take two bullets and call me in the morning" sounds like just the right kind of prescription.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #38 on: <05-04-11/1423:59> »
OK, let's look at Osama and his official status:

Was he a General?  Nope.  Not in any organized military in any way, shape, or form recognized by a country.  From Private to General.  Don't even think he had any "Honorary" ranks.

Leader of a country (Elected, inherited, taken over)?  Nope.  Just another Joe Schmoe.

Recognized as any kind of official in any way?  Nope.  He didn't even  have Diplomatic Immunity.

So, thusly, he's in the same boat as any other terrorist or other criminal type that kills lots of people.  A viable wetwork target.

"Take two bullets and call me in the morning" sounds like just the right kind of prescription.
Cheers chummer!
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #39 on: <05-04-11/1428:08> »
Posthumously, and unsurprisingly, he's already being given "Martyr" status.   >:(

I think I'll wait (Hopefully a long time) and ask $Deity about that status before I go off on a rant.  ;)

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <05-04-11/1751:54> »
Posthumously, and unsurprisingly, he's already being given "Martyr" status.

Can't be a martyr and still be alive. Which is something that's concerned me a bit for a long time. Kill him and he becomes a martyr in a society where that's a big thing. Capture him and stick him in a jail cell? He's marginalized.
Power corrupts.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #41 on: <05-04-11/1816:47> »

Can't be a martyr and still be alive. Which is something that's concerned me a bit for a long time. Kill him and he becomes a martyr in a society where that's a big thing. Capture him and stick him in a jail cell? He's marginalized.
Yeah, but where could you stick him?

You'd be hard pressed to find a place in the world where he wouldn't happen to "Fall down fifteen flights of stairs." of a three floor prison...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Loki

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <05-04-11/1829:56> »

I disagree, capture him and every AQ cell (and every other terrorist group wanting a name) starts eyeballing civilian targets for an attempt to force a hostage swap. Likely without much long term planning, meaning sloppy work and therefore more dangerous to those innocents involved than it would have been already.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #43 on: <05-04-11/1841:53> »
I disagree, capture him and every AQ cell (and every other terrorist group wanting a name) starts eyeballing civilian targets for an attempt to force a hostage swap. Likely without much long term planning, meaning sloppy work and therefore more dangerous to those innocents involved than it would have been already.
Or, worse, one that's well planned.   :'(

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <05-04-11/2013:17> »
I find it funny that the major innovation on this op as opposed to other "Get Bin Laden" ops seems to be "Don't tell the Pakistani's we are coming"

Musharref sweating in interviews is particularly chuckleworthy.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."