NEWS

Datajacks, Datajacks, Datajacks - How many do you guys allow?

• 40 Replies

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #30 on: <11-07-14/0206:43> »
I don't understand the point you try to make, Wyrm.
With Firewall you're never going to melt anyones brain.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #31 on: <11-07-14/0233:52> »
... yyyeah.  You are aware of what Firewall protects, right?  And before you say anything, understand that Firewall on your pistol's smartlink does not protect the gun's  bullets.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <11-07-14/0303:31> »
Since I don't put chips into bullets, I wouldn't worry about them. Guided missiles and wirelessly enabled grenades would be different, yes, but if a decker tries to hack bullets I'd seriously question their mental stat distribution.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #33 on: <11-07-14/0416:39> »
Wow.  Okay, yeah, you're missing it completely, so I guess I need to be clear.  And really, I don't need to be clear for you, but for Longshot, who asked:

A Firewall protects a piece of electronics.  So yes, a datajack has a Firewall rating - which protects it.  The datajack's Firewall does not protect the brain sitting behind it from any hard code coming through; it only protects against the appropriate attacks against the datajack's functionality.  So you can brick a datajack, and the person will need to get it fixed; until then, it doesn't work at all.  A datajack's Firewall prevents the bricking from ever happening.

The datajack's Firewall does not, however, prevent IC from turning your brain into goo.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #34 on: <11-07-14/0452:21> »
"e author=The Wyrm Ouroboros link=topic=18536.msg329720#msg329720 date=1415325818]
Which only works against attacks on - not through, but on, or against - that particular piece of 'ware, e.g. to shut your datajack down.  A great tactic to shut you out; not so good if you want to melt their brain.  ;)
[/quote]"
Ok, disclaimer; its been a while since i played as a decker!

But your brain isn't a device so can't be attacked directly. you have to attack an icon, which means you'd attack against whatever device had formed the persona, be it a comm, a deck, a vehicle or an RCC. damage not resisted can then be transferred to the body if in VR
You can also slave your equipment to another piece of equipment for extra defense iirc. so if you were johnny cheap-skate and were relying on your metalink for your matrix needs, in theory slaving it to your datajack would give you a boost to your defences as it would have a higher firewall than the metalink's DR 1 defences, especially if you'd got a deltaware version.
You would of course have to explicitly state you'd slaved your kit to it though, no takebacks after dice are rolled :-)

@Wyrm, what's your take on daisy-chaining device slaving?
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <11-07-14/0550:09> »
Wow.  Okay, yeah, you're missing it completely, so I guess I need to be clear.  And really, I don't need to be clear for you, but for Longshot, who asked:

A Firewall protects a piece of electronics.  So yes, a datajack has a Firewall rating - which protects itThe datajack's Firewall does not protect the brain sitting behind it from any hard code coming through; it only protects against the appropriate attacks against the datajack's functionality.  So you can brick a datajack, and the person will need to get it fixed; until then, it doesn't work at all.  A datajack's Firewall prevents the bricking from ever happening.

The datajack's Firewall does not, however, prevent IC from turning your brain into goo.
His question was a general one. Nothing in it related to be aiming at the value of the Firewall attribute of a datajack for a decker. So it seems we were aiming at completely different points.

With the underlined part you seem to refer to biofeedback damage. But you use Willpower+Firewall for the roll to resist it. So unless I'm (again) not getting your point, you're wrong.
Although this wouldn't even be relevant, since you'd IMHO need to be accessing the matrix with your datajack as a Persona to worry about biofeedback.
You're confusing me. Can deckers and technomancers now kill people by attacking their wireless devices with biofeedback?
IC shouldn't be able to turn your brain into goo, because a datajack lacks both Attack and Sleaze, which you need to illegally enter hosts.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <11-07-14/0604:51> »

A Firewall protects a piece of electronics.  So yes, a datajack has a Firewall rating - which protects it.  The datajack's Firewall does not protect the brain sitting behind it from any hard code coming through; it only protects against the appropriate attacks against the datajack's functionality.  So you can brick a datajack, and the person will need to get it fixed; until then, it doesn't work at all.  A datajack's Firewall prevents the bricking from ever happening.

Getting into different thread topic, maybe . . . But okay, the datajack's Firewall protects the datajack. Wouldn't any intrusion - IC attack, decker attack, whatever - have to get past the datajack Firewall, then the cyberdeck/commlink firewall (or vice versa) before it can have any effect on the subject/target's soft gooey brain?

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <11-07-14/0611:45> »
If they want to affect you with biofeedback you have to be using cold or hot sim.

And you can only use one device's Firewall attribute in a defense test. So most often your cyberdeck or commlink should be the device with the highest rating and you slave other devices to it that you want to be protected.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <11-07-14/0623:44> »
If they want to affect you with biofeedback you have to be using cold or hot sim.

And you can only use one device's Firewall attribute in a defense test. So most often your cyberdeck or commlink should be the device with the highest rating and you slave other devices to it that you want to be protected.

Aha, just the sort of ruling I was after.  Thanx muchly.

Acolyte

« Reply #39 on: <11-08-14/0332:20> »
I would SO allow a character to a) get as many datajacks as they wanted, and b) stack the noise cancellation, while c) connecting all those 'jacks into essentially the same system, i.e. their 'deck.  OH hell yes.

Because any Black IC (and maybe some grey) they encounter is going to receive a +1 modifier for each 1 to Noise Reduction they stacked, for every one of its screw-your-brain-up rolls.  You wanted to run hot, well, this is as hot as it gets ...

So, where is this rule? I can't seem to find it unless you're just talking about the IC not having to deal with noise reduction itself.

Have I missed something?
   - Shane

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <11-08-14/0341:08> »
Acolyte
My guess is that The Wyrm Ouroboros was presenting how he would allow the stacking effects of multiple Datajacks with a house ruled caveat.

In essence, no such thing as a free ride.

Since IC only exists in hosts they would ignore noise penalties anyway what with everything in a Host being considered directly connected.

That's my guess, anyway.