NEWS

Post-apocalyptic survival

• 11 Replies

The Doomed One

• Chummer
« on: <11-09-10/1155:00> »
So I have an idea for a post-apocalyptic survival game (think Fallout and similar things) using SR4A, and I was wondering what would be the best way to go about doing this?

My thoughts so far:
-The Matrix would probably be gone/sevearly damaged (stupid spell-check)
-Technology would probably not works some/all of the time, would need some kind of mechanic for battery life, and charging said battery.

And that is about all I have.
Pie > Cake

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <11-09-10/1211:32> »
The main problem is that you're going to have magic being über-powerful, so it'd be hard to balance against that...

That and the number of hacker's going insane craving a fix. ;)

The Doomed One

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <11-09-10/1236:01> »
This is mostly for those "OHGODSIAMSOSICKOFRUNNINGTHESAMESETTINGINEEDABREAKFORASESSIONORTWO" moments, which, happens to me from time to time, so I don't really need it to be too ballenced, and if it becomes a problem I can allways through hordes of something at it untill it is no longer a problem. ;D  I mean talk to my players and see if I can't get them to turn it down a notch.
Pie > Cake

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #3 on: <11-09-10/1238:33> »
See Book of Eli?

Also... lot's a Hell Hounds would make Codac feel all safe and sound!
« Last Edit: <11-09-10/1243:47> by Usda Beph »
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #4 on: <11-09-10/1252:59> »
To address FastJack's point, up the BP cost of the awakened qualities a decent bit. Recognize how much harder it's going to be for people to get their spell formulae, and mark up prices to reflect.

Same goes for most technology, too, short of maybe a few points of civilization.

Best advice I actually have is: go look over here and pick a different system to try out, it's not evil. It's just better to use a generic system, or a system designed for post-apocalyptical worlds than to try and brutalize a system that is fairly beautifully developed for its setting into fitting a very different setting.

Short of that, try and consider the impacts of infrastructure breakdown on resources and qualities (a la magic, above).
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #5 on: <11-09-10/1605:59> »
This is mostly for those "OHGODSIAMSOSICKOFRUNNINGTHESAMESETTINGINEEDABREAKFORASESSIONORTWO" moments, which, happens to me from time to time, so I don't really need it to be too ballenced, and if it becomes a problem I can allways through hordes of something at it untill it is no longer a problem. ;D  I mean talk to my players and see if I can't get them to turn it down a notch.

Have you considered a vacation in fabulous Bug City. . . Chicago? All the apocalypse, none of the mess. Or maybe Geneva, although its more apocalyptic than post-apocalyptic.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-09-10/1708:20> »
The main problem is that you're going to have magic being über-powerful, so it'd be hard to balance against that...

Magic being Über ?
Not with much more Background Count !

JahtaHey
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #7 on: <11-09-10/1923:06> »

Magic being Über ?
Not with much more Background Count !

JahtaHey
Medicineman

Yeah, thought of that solution, myself. Post-apocalypse, just about everywhere would count as a Rating 5 or 6 Domain (Street Magic, pg 121, Domain Examples), you've got mass destruction and mass devastation on untold levels. Then, those rare "clean" areas are a welcome relief to your casters who are wondering why they took magician only to constantly be at a -5 DP penalty.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <11-09-10/1925:06> »
We're already used to a low-magic campaign. Our only mage is a truck driver for a living and can only make sessions once in a blue moon. I doubt me, dad, or Codac would care about just setting magic aside for this one, too.

And considering I keep distracting you from reading the matrix rules anyway, I don't think that's a major issue... >.> *whistle*

Given our party, I just think restricting the gear and changing the availabilities on the generic crap that becomes scarce in those situations (... like bullets...) would do a lot mechanics wise. There was some post-apocalyptic special thingymajigger on discovery I was watching one time that probably would have been much more of a help if I wasn't two parts sleep deprived and one part dead right now.
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

Codac

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <11-09-10/2108:12> »

Also... lot's a Hell Hounds would make Codac feel all safe and sound!

I hate you.

And post-apocalypse is always fun i was thinking the same thing actually since I'm a fan of the Shadowrun system. The only problem really would be balancing.
"You Metahumans and your emotions are quite inefficient." ~Codac

"I am the Matrix." ~Codac

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #10 on: <11-10-10/1100:19> »
I mentioned to Chaotic that I would like to introduce you guys to CBT sometime in the near. I'd keep it simple (3025 tech aka lvl 1 rules) it'd be fun! ;)

Codac... :-* Hell Hounds!
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #11 on: <11-10-10/1838:23> »
I think it can be done with a little bit of tweeking. Wired reflexes and the like get replaced with something like VATS, magic gets modified somehow (have it become tech based maybe?). Less people, more ghouls and critters. If you have access to Harlequin's Back the cowboy themed quest could also work with the clockwork tech (wind-up sammies and such).
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada