NEWS

data bomb damage

• 4 Replies

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« on: <03-05-18/0619:15> »
When you roll for damage of a data bomb do you roll hits for it or sum of the dice

example rating 4 data bomb.

on a 4d6 you get 3563

you do 2 damage or would you do 17 damage?
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-05-18/0751:47> »
17 damage.

Data Bombs can be nasty if you're not careful

Artemis Entreri

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-06-18/0719:36> »
Hey!
Sorry, I don't get this... Data Bomb deals Matrix Damage equal to its rating, I can't find reference on summing up dice rather than just dealing "hits" damage... Can you point at a page for me pls? :) Thanks!

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #3 on: <03-06-18/0846:22> »
Hey!
Sorry, I don't get this... Data Bomb deals Matrix Damage equal to its rating, I can't find reference on summing up dice rather than just dealing "hits" damage... Can you point at a page for me pls? :) Thanks!

The Data Bomb is triggered when someone attempts to read, edit, copy, protect, delete, or put another Data Bomb on the file without using the already-in-place Data Bomb’s passcode. When a Data Bomb goes off, it causes (Rating)D6 Matrix Damage (resisted normally) to the icon that tripped it, deletes the file (if it was set that way), and then is itself deleted. If the passcode is used, the Data Bomb doesn’t activate. Instead, it remains attached to the file, waiting for the next guy.

You don't count "hits" because it's not a test.  There's no skills and only 1 attribute included, it lists no Limit or Threshold.  Tests in SR are not written with "D6" alongside them anyways.  So you just add the numbers on the dice together, similar to with Initiative.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-06-18/1009:05> »
See "Set Data Bomb," SR5, p.242. When you set a Data Bomb in a file, you roll a Software + Logic [Sleaze] vs. (Device Rating x 2) Opposed Test. If you're successful, you set the Data Bomb with a rating up to the number of your net hits (it can be lower, if you want). When some hapless hacker tries to access the file without first finding and disarming the Data Bomb (see "Disarm Data Bomb," p.239), they take (Rating)D6 Matrix Damage. This is one of those very rare instances in Shadowrun where you roll dice and add them together. The point of a Data Bomb, after all, is to blast the unauthorized user out of the Matrix, which isn't likely if it were limited to just (Rating) damage.