NEWS

how long does it take to learn a new adpept power

• 7 Replies

rmjrjej5

• Newb
« on: <03-01-18/0244:42> »
wanting to learn a new power or upgade one i have   how long does this take?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <03-01-18/0246:49> »
I don't believe you learn powers separately from gaining Power Points.  Whatever process gave your PP (increasing your MAG or Initiating, I'd assume) should be all the time needed.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

rmjrjej5

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-01-18/0256:53> »
so how long does it take to innitiate? and what other requirements are there

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #3 on: <03-01-18/0330:50> »
its in the core the in magic section, under initiation i think. It's just karma and making a roll. it's not very complex or time consuming.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-01-18/0346:53> »
If by "not very complex or time consuming" you mean that initiation is a serious process that requires a great deal of mental and spiritual preparation, rituals, and study, then yeah, sure.

In actuality, Initiation is a very intense and extensive process. However, it is very different from tradition to tradition, and even differs slightly based on the individual and how they work their magic. It requires a certain amount of self-reflection and study to increase your own magical potential.

As a baseline, the rules have you roll an Arcana+Intuition Extended Test, which requires a number of hits equal to the grade you are trying to achieve and the interval is measured in months. From there, what you are doing during that time is up to you and your GM. But you are likely spending much of that time working specifically on that initiation.

Rosa

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <03-01-18/0926:04> »
The problem with using only the test as a measure in my opinion is that it doesn't take what you've done between initiations into consideration. In my group we do that. We still use the test as a basis but every magic related skill improvement will count towards your successes in the test. So for example if you've raised your summoning skill by one, your magical theory skill by one and your knowledge:metaplanes skill by one that will count as 3 successes in the test, with a minimum requirement of one weeks hard study and preparations for the initiation itself. This is a houserule of course and fits well with how we handle time in the campaign, so it might not fit all games.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #6 on: <03-01-18/1446:32> »
If by "not very complex or time consuming" you mean that initiation is a serious process that requires a great deal of mental and spiritual preparation, rituals, and study, then yeah, sure.

In actuality, Initiation is a very intense and extensive process. However, it is very different from tradition to tradition, and even differs slightly based on the individual and how they work their magic. It requires a certain amount of self-reflection and study to increase your own magical potential.

As a baseline, the rules have you roll an Arcana+Intuition Extended Test, which requires a number of hits equal to the grade you are trying to achieve and the interval is measured in months. From there, what you are doing during that time is up to you and your GM. But you are likely spending much of that time working specifically on that initiation.

Yeah extra success reduce time iirc, so for first one, odds are it's int vs 1. Add some edge and odds are it will be pretty fast.

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-01-18/1533:03> »
Some tests (like Availability) reduce time with extra successes, but that is not a rule be default.

It says it right in the description that initiation is a big deal, if your group wants to make light of it, that's your choice. But making those sorts of things easier is just lending to the magic-bloat that most people complain about.