NEWS

Sybil virus: Clues and wild speculations

• 626 Replies

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #30 on: <05-21-13/2106:00> »
You like them dissonants don't 'cha? Can't blame you though, I think they're pretty neat.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <05-21-13/2135:56> »
Can someone please tell me what goes on in Storm Front?
"More human than human" is our motto.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #32 on: <05-21-13/2207:33> »
A lot of shit blows up.

No, seriously, a lot of shit blows up. I'm not being facetious. Singularly unhelpful, but not facetious.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <05-21-13/2210:39> »
Also, if you want to know what goes on in a book, buy it. Not trying to be mean, but writers gotta eat too ya know.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #34 on: <05-21-13/2211:38> »
This.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Neurosis

• Chummer
  • ain't no rest for the wicked
« Reply #35 on: <05-21-13/2218:05> »
A lot of shit blows up.

No, seriously, a lot of shit blows up. I'm not being facetious. Singularly unhelpful, but not facetious.

He is being entirely accurate. : ) For instance, I got to blow up Denver. Great big bloody chunks of Denver. Great fun.

My girlfriend was so sad (she's from there).

CanRay's post? Also accurate! (Also an accurate description of RIFTS, but that's neither here nor there.)
« Last Edit: <05-21-13/2219:48> by Neurosis »
~"Pirates and bankrobbers, not lawyers and CEOs
Stockbrokers ain't no heroes!"~

Devon Oratz//CGL Freelancer
My Blog: tarotAmerican
My RPGs: endTransmission.

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <05-21-13/2248:28> »
Also, if you want to know what goes on in a book, buy it. Not trying to be mean, but writers gotta eat too ya know.

I'm not trying to be an inconsiderate prick either, but being unemployed makes it hard to buy such books.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <05-21-13/2250:49> »
This.  ;D

I love that movie.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Prodigy

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <05-21-13/2321:13> »
I hear you. Basically the answer is a summation of humongous events that are going to change the SR world. If you can buy a book, this is a great one.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <05-21-13/2332:16> »
You like them dissonants don't 'cha? Can't blame you though, I think they're pretty neat.

Partly, it's because I feel they're very underutilized.  Taking Twilight Horizon as an example, they'd have been far, far better for some parts of that plotline than what was done - but it seems like the writer had completely forgotten that they existed.

Besides, they're kind of awesome as villains.  Just consider all the terrifying tthings you can build a NORMAL technomancer to do, and crank that all up to 11.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <05-21-13/2356:14> »
Hey RHat, did you ever see this? The Frenzy Dissonant virus: http://crimsondude.tumblr.com/post/13382267276/non-canon-bonus-artifacts-unbound-material

Oh, this reply post to my linking to it earlier is delightful: http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=9067.msg161002#msg161002

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #41 on: <05-22-13/0038:02> »
I'd like to see more dissonants, I mean, as a usually hacker player it'd give me Cool StuffTM to do. Unlike other "Threats" in the future they don't sound stupid to me, but that's do to my general hatred of "Epic Tier" events, and characters.

I will give them the mark of  LEGITIMATELY INTERESTING
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <05-22-13/0221:43> »
"Threats" isn't the term for "Epic Tier", or anything - it's things like bug spirits, shedim, toxics and twisted...

Crimsondude:  That is AWESOME.  Of course, from the Dissonant angle...  Is there any reason that couldn't use Pryon as an infection vector?  Think about it - guy goes around making incidental contact with a bunch of people (shaking their hand, brushing past them, "accidentally" reaching for something at the same time as they do...); there's a lot of things you could do with a bunch of people going berserk on command.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

cynicforever

• Newb
  • I like cheese
« Reply #43 on: <05-22-13/0556:03> »
Honestly, that's probably close. It's just a question if all the people infected have nanites. Miles Lanier doesn't iirc.

Miles Lanier doesn't have any nanite enhancements, but he does have cyberware. I remember reading somewhere, cybertechnology I think, that they use nanites to connect and maintain the links between the meat and the ware. Could be he went in for maintenance and in the process, one of the e-entities hijacked the process. Not enough to immediately take control, but enough to establish a "beachhead". Then slowly, as Lanier connects to the matrix, it begins mapping the brain, then starts making modifications. Eventually, it makes enough changes that it can start giving the victim sort of "post hypnotic commands", where the subject is asleep, he will automatically connect to the matrix. Further changes are made, eventually allowing the entitiy to actually "possess" the victim. Then its a matter of taking full control, if possible.

Same could be said for Leonization treatments, I remember reading somewhere that nanites are used in the procedure. Another kind of freaky idea is that one article from stormfront about the advertising nanites on the pamphlet. Could suggest that someone/thing is actively "recruiting".
Nothing really springs to mind.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #44 on: <05-22-13/1115:01> »

I'm not trying to be an inconsiderate prick either, but being unemployed makes it hard to buy such books.
There's always this.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator