NEWS

Is A used Suprathyroid worth it?

• 36 Replies

Desiani

• Chummer
« on: <02-06-17/2102:46> »
I'm thinking about taking the Prototype Transhuman (dryad) quality and am wondering if the used super thyroid is worth using .87 essence for the +1 Str/Bod/Agi/Rea.

Is this a Trap Bio ware and therefore be better off taking muscle toner and .6 other bioware?

deathwishjoe

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <02-06-17/2153:50> »
I'm fairly certain prototype transhuman doesn't allow the used quality of bioware. 

from an optimization point of view I've never had a need for the suprathyroid myself there are more efficient ways of pumping the important physical stats for the most part.  I'd rather +3 or +4 to the important stats like agility rather then a +1 to all physical. 

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-06-17/2222:29> »
I'm not sure it's possible at char creation, but how would you get +3 or 4 ? The restricted gear quality?

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-06-17/2225:44> »
I'm fairly certain prototype transhuman doesn't allow the used quality of bioware.
If it's not considered viable, then switch from Used Grade to Omega Grade, with the drawback of "x1.25 Essence Cost".

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <02-06-17/2239:01> »
This has me thinking... Is prototype Transhuman available to any other meta type? The quality doesn't specify that it's human specific, only must be at char creation

deathwishjoe

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <02-06-17/2250:57> »
I'm not sure it's possible at char creation, but how would you get +3 or 4 ? The restricted gear quality?

more or less although I prefer cyber limbs for stat boosting.  Bioware seems to be better at boosting mental stuff with things like cerebral boosters and the like since there isn't anything in the cyber side that does anything comparable. 

This has me thinking... Is prototype Transhuman available to any other meta type? The quality doesn't specify that it's human specific, only must be at char creation

While the cap on positive qualities would prevent it I think you could reasonably even have a vampire with the quality prototype transhuman.  Pixies Sasquatches and centaurs certainly work.  evil corporations doing evil things to babies and all that.  I suppose it wouldn't make sense to have an AI with the quality

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #6 on: <02-07-17/0121:45> »
Everyone in Shadowrun who isn't "metasapient" is human; that's why it's "metahumanity".  So Prototype Transhuman isn't referring just to the normal human metatype.  It is confusing, I admit.  But every metatype is still homo sapiens.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #7 on: <02-10-17/1748:20> »
Heh. That comment just made me go and spend a couple hours putting together a Naga Face/Shaman with Prototype Transhuman.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <02-10-17/1800:36> »
Heh. That comment just made me go and spend a couple hours putting together a Naga Face/Shaman with Prototype Transhuman.

I've done worse things. Vampire combat medic comes to mind.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #9 on: <02-10-17/1821:08> »
I've done worse things. Vampire combat medic comes to mind.

"Oh, gosh, there's just...  All this blood coming out of you.  Looks..."  The medic pauses, then licks their lips.  "...Very bad, definitely gonna need to uh, patch you up..."

Then they reach over for their medkit while hiding the fact that they're licking their fingers.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Vassago

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <03-08-17/2209:47> »

Can't get Suprathyroid at all during char-gen without restricted gear quality- it's 20R availability. Also it doesn't have upgradable ratings. I think he meant it's better in general to use your resources to boost fewer attributes higher, than several attributes by only one level. You couldn't take Suprathyroid 4 times to get a +4 in each, it's a one and done
And at least put some thought into the Negative Quality Addiction-Mild (DeepWeed). You're playing in Denver afterall, and a Sasquatch-sized joint gets me right in the feels.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <03-10-17/1337:33> »
Everyone in Shadowrun who isn't "metasapient" is human; that's why it's "metahumanity".  So Prototype Transhuman isn't referring just to the normal human metatype.  It is confusing, I admit.  But every metatype is still homo sapiens.
Tell that to my slaughter humans spell that I cast on my nonhuman metatype runner team when we surrounded.

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #12 on: <03-11-17/0736:01> »
Tell that to my slaughter humans spell that I cast on my nonhuman metatype runner team when we surrounded.

Saying "Slaughter Humans" is easier and quicker than saying "Slaughter Homo sapiens sapiens"
We know that the various metatypes are defined as follows:

Dwarf: Homo sapiens pumilionis
Elf: Homo sapiens nobilis
Human: Homo sapiens sapiens
Ork: Homo sapiens robustus
Troll: Homo sapiens ingentis

These subtypes were introduced all the way back in 1st edition, and are still in use today (see Run Faster).
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <03-14-17/0251:06> »
also used/omega grade isnt just pay the used status theres a characteristic that goes along with it

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <03-14-17/1310:05> »
also used/omega grade isnt just pay the used status theres a characteristic that goes along with it

I'm no where near a book at the moment. Would you be able to give me the page that info n is on?