NEWS

Scary-Effective Drone Builds

• 19 Replies

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <01-08-12/0234:59> »
As for OP's drone, considering all the effort used to make a super-sneaky sniper drone, why not use one that can fly?  Then you can snipe from kilometer above your targets or at the very least not worry as much about cover for long distance shots. 

Because this is all about setting up an ambush. You stick them to walls, on the edge of roofs, under overhanging ledges above the site, etc, and trigger them hours or days later when the target shows. With them all coordinating through a Tacnet, you can clear the area faster than a Troll that just had a Mexi-Bean-Chilli-Mega-Stuffer Burrito.

Flying drones also would likely be much bigger (the Arachne is small enough to be confused for a weapon accessory) and probably use too much fuel to the killbox for long.

I don't think a small drone and a medium drone have any difference for hiding actually.  It comes down to the infiltration check and there aren't any different modifiers between those two sizes.  Also, drones have the same operational time, 6 hours.  You can idle for 12 hours flying or stuck to a tree.  And you attack from behind walls, over roofs, or high up in the air with a flying drone.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #16 on: <01-08-12/0310:16> »
As for OP's drone, considering all the effort used to make a super-sneaky sniper drone, why not use one that can fly?  Then you can snipe from kilometer above your targets or at the very least not worry as much about cover for long distance shots. 

Because this is all about setting up an ambush. You stick them to walls, on the edge of roofs, under overhanging ledges above the site, etc, and trigger them hours or days later when the target shows. With them all coordinating through a Tacnet, you can clear the area faster than a Troll that just had a Mexi-Bean-Chilli-Mega-Stuffer Burrito.

Flying drones also would likely be much bigger (the Arachne is small enough to be confused for a weapon accessory) and probably use too much fuel to the killbox for long.

I don't think a small drone and a medium drone have any difference for hiding actually.  It comes down to the infiltration check and there aren't any different modifiers between those two sizes.  Also, drones have the same operational time, 6 hours.  You can idle for 12 hours flying or stuck to a tree.  And you attack from behind walls, over roofs, or high up in the air with a flying drone.

Yes, but it's easier to transport small drones, and you can put them into "sleep" mode while they're in position.

Plus, it's a personal style thing. My flying drones tend to pack more in the way of high-volume firepower. The kind that makes good use of their lack of recoil, like miniguns.
« Last Edit: <01-08-12/0314:20> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <01-18-12/0614:52> »
I've always been fond of the modified bust a move doll with chameleon coating, gecko tips and a heart of high explosive.

Not the best for overt action but upgrade its response and a good rigger should be able to sneak that thing into a hidy hole for it to anbush someone from above.
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #18 on: <01-19-12/0617:59> »
From an older thread, but imo worth a post here.

Quote from: Kontact
Ares Air supply Drone Comes with Obsolescence (-1 to device rating), Improved Takeoff and Landing 2 and Special Storage
+ Chameleon Coating
+ 18 Armor
+ Special Armor modification (Nonconductivity 10)
+ External, Remote Control, Fixed, Reinforced Weapon Mount w/ GE Vanquisher Heavy Autocannon (Restricted Gear)
++ Ammo bin
-- Sensors switchced, etc

Final stats:  Handling 0 Accel 24/112 Speed 240 Bod 6 Armor 18 Pilot 2 Device Rating 4  Sensor 6

Thanks to Improved Takeoff, this is a full VTOL aircraft capable of hovering around during operations.  If you want to keep it covert until needed (radar is a problem) just store it in the back of a semi.  Anyway, it's a gunship with a tankbuster cannon on the front of the mother.
You know, lovely 11P -6AP  15 round bursts.  Murder on a stick.  Engage 5 targets withing 2 meters of each other from 2,400m away.  This thing is a beastly bit of cavalry.  Use its storage to smuggle goods or to drop ordinance on top of targets.  Nothing says lovin like about 100 HE grenades dropped on a hostile target.

Total cost: 50k + Restricted Gear or 15 BP 
It will cost more to upgrade it for independent operation, but, really, this terrifying bastard deserves a dedicated rigger.

A fun little sidekick. Drop it off on a good spot before you enter enemy territory.  Modify the Barret with extra ammo or clips, possibly even BF or FA, whatever fits your flavor.
Quote from: Myself
Lucy -> Sniper Rifle/Drone (9P, -4AP, SA, 14c ammo)
 3.350   Barret Model 121
   500   Smartgun
 2.000   +Response Upgrade 4
10.000   +Pilot Rating 4
 4.000   +Targetting 4 Autosoft
 4.000   +Clearsight 4 Autosoft
 2.000   +Empathy Software 4
 3.000   +Improved Sensor Array
 2.500   +Fuzzy Logic
 3.000   Limping Propulsion System
 2.000   Chameleon Coating
 3.350   Powered Easy Breakdown
   250   Weapon Personality
    50  Voice Activation/Response
   300   Melee Hardening
   200   Silencer

This one needs a field/airstrip to land or take off, but it's pretty much a stealth fighter you can buy as a starting character.
Quote from: Myself

Need Restricted Gear 3 times to get it. (And might want to be "Born Rich" to buy anything else, like the software and electronics to protect the enemy from throwing this against you.)

Put simply?
You've got a near-undetectable flying machine, raining death to any target below. Use a Dragonfly or Microcrawler to get inside buildings and use a laser-designator to allow you to open fire on enemies inside buildings... it's not like anything can stop the onslaught.
Attack: 26P, -7AP. (Firing Ex-Ex, 15 bullet Narrow burst fire.)

Northrup Wasp                               106000Y
+  Rigger Adaptation                           2500Y
+  20 Armor                                       2000Y
+  Chameleon Coating                        10000Y
+  Improved Economy                        19500Y
+  Improved Sensor Array                    1000Y
+ ECM10                                             8000Y
+ ECCM2 Software                                 Free
+  Signature Masking R6                     12000Y
+External Flexible Weapon Mount             Free               
++ Reinforced                                      4000Y
++GE Vanquisher HeavyAutocannon     20000Y
++ 200 Ex-Ex Rounds                          2000Y
++ Firing Selection Change                     300Y
++ Smartgun(Mod)                                400Y
++ Chameleon Coating                         1000Y
++ Safe Target System                          200Y
++ Tracker                                           150Y
                                                  =  189550Y

A Gauss Canon is still better for damage, but a lot harder to get and its low ammo (which is also harder to get) might be a problem without anyone nearby to reload it, making it less suited for drones.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #19 on: <01-19-12/1915:54> »
Lucy could probably get even better if you remove the limping modification and slap it on an Arachnae instead. :)

You could them also mod the hell out of the Arachnae.

-k