NEWS

An update on SR6e DriveThruRPG ratings

• 188 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #60 on: <09-13-19/2109:59> »
Y'know what? I'm done with being an "apologist". I'm done with trying to provide a counter to the negativism. Instead, every time I see a thread like this, I'll just repost the link to this thread:

Other Forums

Just remember, you may not like the game and now you're actively chasing players away.

tenchi2a

• Chummer
« Reply #61 on: <09-13-19/2129:40> »
Y'know what? I'm done with being an "apologist". I'm done with trying to provide a counter to the negativism. Instead, every time I see a thread like this, I'll just repost the link to this thread:

Other Forums

Just remember, you may not like the game and now you're actively chasing players away.

Because as we all should know by now, not liking 6th edition is toxic.
Well that informed my decision to leave again.
Have fun.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #62 on: <09-13-19/2148:44> »

Other Forums

Because as we all should know by now, not liking 6th edition is toxic.
Well that informed my decision to leave again.
Have fun.
When other players no longer feel welcome because the like something that other posters are being extremely vocal against, yes, it is toxic. Every time everyone says they are leaving this board, I wish them well, tell them they will be missed (honestly, I hate to see anyone leave), and ask them to come back when they feel like it, and there is always an open door. That open door is for everyone (well, not fraggin' spambots), not just people that are in agreement with you.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #63 on: <09-13-19/2150:30> »

The 9-page hot-fix did not address a lot of the issues, and CGL has been notably quiet about what progress has been made to fix it. And that is what has me irritated the most. The Errata team have their lips stitched about what progress has been made, or when we the players will see any of it.

And believe me, I wanted 6th ed to be good. I wanted to be able to bring it to my current group and get them hyped, and get my GM revved up about doing a 6we campaign. Instead, I got an unfinished $50 book that has been released for over a month with no clear scheduled fixes beyond the hot-fix.

Whether its legitimate to get upset or not i am not sure, but I do think its just a bad tactic.  I believe the biggest mistake of 6e was a closed play test. A closed errata doesn't help.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #64 on: <09-14-19/1243:59> »

Other Forums

Why, that's terrible! We should be chasing them to other editions of Shadowrun instead.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #65 on: <09-14-19/1437:35> »

Other Forums

Why, that's terrible! We should be chasing them to other editions of Shadowrun instead.
MOD VOICE: Or, you could be a good human being and an example to other players and respect their decision to like what they like.

Shadowhack

• Newb
  • We live in a dystopian society right now.
« Reply #66 on: <09-14-19/2338:47> »
One of the things that I have noticed about many of the negative reviews on Drive Thru is that very few of the reviewers seem to have purchased the game. Many of them complain about the game being unfinished. I don't see that at all. There are some typos sure but in a 300+ page book I've found less than ten so far and none of them prevented me from understanding a rule or a concept. This is coming from the very person that blasted Catalyst for having a typo in the product description when it first went up!

I think there are a just a lot of people that hate on this game for no reason other than to hate on it and Catalyst. I'm wondering if some of these haters are fans or backers of independent games on the market. I love indie games, just bought Blades in the Dark, but I'm not going to jump on a forum or store and trash a game just because I prefer it to another. I hope that is not what is happening.

Mustakrakish

• Newb
« Reply #67 on: <09-15-19/0015:20> »
I and my group had a really hard time playing 5th. It was full of rules, and even after a year of playing it never really run smoothly.

When the last season 8 missions will come out we are planning on returning to Shadowrun, and we are looking forward to seeing if 6th is faster and easier.

Yes, there are weird things about this game, strength and melee, armor, and the edge traiding mini-game that I fear, once again, will slow down combat. But only after giving it a shot I will decide how it is.

I am a physical books collector myself. But for now, I only bought the PDF, seeing all the negativity around the game I don't want to take risks.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #68 on: <09-15-19/0121:22> »
One of the things that I have noticed about many of the negative reviews on Drive Thru is that very few of the reviewers seem to have purchased the game.

That is categorically false.

A person can not review, or even rate, a product on DriveThruRPG without purchasing it first.

Should I give you the benefit of the doubt (unlike what you have done to those you don't agree with) and assume that it was an accidental falsehood you are trying to spread?

Many of them complain about the game being unfinished. I don't see that at all.

If you wish to see what others are talking about, you could start with the Change Blindness Gathering Thread.

It is a collection of things that were left out of the Sixth World Core Book that should have been in there from the beginning.

If that isn't enough for you, there are a large number of question threads that have popped up the past couple of weeks that I could easily link for you to peruse.

Shadowhack

• Newb
  • We live in a dystopian society right now.
« Reply #69 on: <09-15-19/0227:07> »
One of the things that I have noticed about many of the negative reviews on Drive Thru is that very few of the reviewers seem to have purchased the game.

That is categorically false.

A person can not review, or even rate, a product on DriveThruRPG without purchasing it first.

Should I give you the benefit of the doubt (unlike what you have done to those you don't agree with) and assume that it was an accidental falsehood you are trying to spread?

Many of them complain about the game being unfinished. I don't see that at all.

If you wish to see what others are talking about, you could start with the Change Blindness Gathering Thread.

It is a collection of things that were left out of the Sixth World Core Book that should have been in there from the beginning.

If that isn't enough for you, there are a large number of question threads that have popped up the past couple of weeks that I could easily link for you to peruse.

I admit to being wrong about the reviews on DriveThru. I actually went through many of the comments as well and saw that they are confirmed purchasers. I have also started looking at some of the blindness thread and have confirmed in my pdf that those issues do exist. Thank you for your information.

stuh42l

• Newb
« Reply #70 on: <09-15-19/0845:48> »
I agree, we should be focusing on righting the ship and getting this corrected. I know the Errata team is hard at work on these issues right now.
Yup, they're working hard behind the scenes. Doesn't prevent people from making assumptions of what the outcome of that process will be and bashing everything in advance. =_=

Mind you, I got like two dozen houserules ready depending on how errata go. But I'd rather first see the actual results.

This is honestly crazy to me.  The number of people that assume all games will have to use houserules to even function.

I have played Burning Wheel for 5 years.  I have had to invent 0 houserules for that game.  It is a well written ruleset.  If I did want to make extra systems for the game, it includes rules to do so.

I have played The Sprawl for 4 years, and I have had to invent 0 houserules for that game.

I have played Blades in the Dark for 2 years, and I have had to invent 0 houserules for that game.

I have played DnD5E for 5 years, and have had to invent 0 houserules for that game.

What gives SR6 (or SR5E) a pass?  What makes it OK for a game to REQUIRE houseruling to be able to even play?  This isn't 1991 anymore. 

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #71 on: <09-15-19/0855:44> »
MOD VOICE: Or, you could be a good human being and an example to other players and respect their decision to like what they like.
All right, I'll bite: as someone who likes 5e and doesn't like 6e, I don't feel like this forum respects my decision.

I've spent quite a lot of time and effort offering constructive criticism of 6e in my short time here. I've been hard on some parts of it, but I've tried - hard - to always be fair and always explain my thinking. And I've tried to point out the bits I like, too, and why I like them. 

Almost everything I have had back has been aggressive, hostile replies and aggressive, hostile Private Messages. When I have reported this, nothing appears to have happened, and I have continued to get hostile replies and hostile PMs from the same people (sometimes in the same post where they boast they have me blocked and therefore I'm lucky they're replying at all). Some of the hostility came from you, FastJack, in this very thread, although you have at least apologised and I thank you for that. When I tried to stick up for myself, I got a public bollocking for it -- while the others in that conversation did not. This was later thrown in my face by another poster from here as proof the blame is all mine.

I don't feel respected here. I don't feel welcome here. And I feel that's because I don't like 6e and I had the temerity to speak about that. So when you say "respect their decision to like what they like" then, as a newcomer here, I have to tell you: I don't think that's something this community is doing very well right now.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #72 on: <09-15-19/0913:01> »
Everyone who wants to play/enjoy Shadowrun is welcome, regardless of the "rule set" they prefer to use.

There has been a lot more...frustration/anger/etc...with 6we that I ever recall with 5e (of course, that's my opinion/recollection). The fact that someone has issues with 6we and prefers 5e is PERFECTLY VALID. All of us should take stock and remember that.

Personally, I've been very conflicted...there are a lot of things about 6we and its launch that have me concerned. This is the first release is ages that I haven't bought it on right out of the gate. I have found myself completely turned off; a seemingly rushed launch and a debate with the sides that seem so extreme. i also feel that CGL has done very little to communicate about any of the things that may be going on in the background (to be honest, I haven't asked either)...which simply adds fuel to the fire. /end rant

Back on point, you are welcome; your opinions are welcome; your conversation is welcome.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #73 on: <09-15-19/0918:43> »
Everyone who wants to play/enjoy Shadowrun is welcome, regardless of the "rule set" they prefer to use.

There has been a lot more...frustration/anger/etc...with 6we that I ever recall with 5e (of course, that's my opinion/recollection). The fact that someone has issues with 6we and prefers 5e is PERFECTLY VALID. All of us should take stock and remember that.

Personally, I've been very conflicted...there are a lot of things about 6we and its launch that have me concerned. This is the first release is ages that I haven't bought it on right out of the gate. I have found myself completely turned off; a seemingly rushed launch and a debate with the sides that seem so extreme. i also feel that CGL has done very little to communicate about any of the things that may be going on in the background (to be honest, I haven't asked either)...which simply adds fuel to the fire. /end rant

Back on point, you are welcome; your opinions are welcome; your conversation is welcome.

Having bought the PDF and GMed 2 games using the new rules, I personally don't see the doom and gloom. Are there glaring issues with their review/playtest process that let quite a few things slip through cracks? Yes. Do I fundamentally enjoy the core direction of the new system? Yes! Had strong skepticism until actually playing it out. Edge being introduced to people who are use to, "Roll was bad, oh well" now having a resource that says,"...but wait....there is more..." provides a lot more player engagement other than shoot your load and your done.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #74 on: <09-15-19/0921:20> »
Largely in response directly to Penllawen:

While both sides of the 6e argument have strongly opinionated individuals participating, I personally find that the aggression/hostility/dismissiveness is only actually coming from a few people on each side (just repeatedly). Do you find the same or feel different?

Beyond that point of curiosity, for what it is worth, I agree that your contribution to the discussion has only been constructive. Like I said previously, the sensitivity level for some folks is extremely high at present.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling