NEWS

Wild die and rerolls

• 7 Replies

taranion

• Newb
« on: <07-23-21/0334:35> »
Assuming I have a test with a wild die and the wild die shows a 1 and all 5s are not counted as hits.
When I now spend 4 Edge on the Edge Boost "Reroll all failed die"

• Will the  "5"s be rerolled too?
  • While rerolling I also reroll the wild die. Will the new result for the wild die be treated as a wild die again (meaning it replaces the effect of the original roll) or will it be treated as a simple roll?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-23-21/0430:12> »
1) Yes.  Since 5s are no longer hits, they must therefore be failed dice.

2) Tricky.  It needs a formal clarification.  I believe though, that given the existing language, the intent and best practice is to treat any rerolled wild dice as regular dice.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

taranion

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-23-21/0432:57> »
> 2) Tricky.  It needs a formal clarification.  I believe though, that given the existing language, the intent and best practice is to treat any rerolled wild dice as regular dice.
That was my assumption as well.On the other hand, allowing rerolling failed wild die makes wild die more valuable.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-23-21/1225:57> »
I hope that stands as the official rule, it just takes so much bite out of the wild die if rerolling it/ adding 1 to it gets rid of the penalty.  Same with glitches.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-23-21/1344:11> »
I hope that stands as the official rule, it just takes so much bite out of the wild die if rerolling it/ adding 1 to it gets rid of the penalty.  Same with glitches.

yeah the "add 1 pip to the result" is the really itchy part about edge and wild dice.  How to handle rerolls already has a better roadmap already given... and that's a better position than most rules questions have :D  Speaking of: I'd be amenable to thinking that "wild dice are flatly immune to the effects of edge", if there weren't the mention already there explaining how it interacts with exactly 1 edge boost.  Maybe it should be that all other edge boosts cannot affect wild dice.  Or maybe that you cannot that one specific edge boost on a wild die.

Then again, a wild die is supposed to be a bonus, rather than a 50/50 lul.  Allowing you to spend 2 edge to raise a 4 to a 5, or a 1 to a 2, ends up meaning wild dice are a 50% odds of 3 hits and ever so rarely a backfire.

RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

taranion

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-23-21/1458:19> »
The section about the wild die only clarifies that in case of exploding dice, a wild die cannot produce more wild die. In my opinion that does not contradict the ruling that the wild die is immune to Edge - it is more a support to that theory.

And will I think that the wild dice are not really a big deal, since they only distribute hit probability more evenly (more the "50/50 lul") and could use some more positive effects, the ability to simply reroll a 1 on the wild die makes them also a bit less fun.

So, unless there isn't a new round of official errata on the way, I go with a wild die being immune to Edge

taranion

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <07-23-21/1603:08> »
Follow-Up question:
if we treat the reroll as regular dice that do not change the result of the wild die, do I count rerolled 5s as hits or not?

Pro Hits
: A full reroll is expensive and you should get something for your MoneyEdge
Contra Hits: The meaning of the wild die still stands and those say that 5s don't count as hits.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-23-21/1917:02> »
If the rerolled dice do not affect the wild die's prior resolution, then when the wild die was 1 it logically follows that rerolled dice showing 5s must still stand as not-hits.