Shadowrun Play > Character creation and critique

SR6 Pure Mysadept

<< < (2/5) > >>

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
Mystic Adepts are not a type of Adept. (There's no such thing as a Physical Adpet anymore...)  Ergo, when a rule says "Adepts can..." it does not also mean "Adepts and Mystic Adepts can....".

I can assure you that the only ways Mystic Adepts can "gain" PPs is via:
1) picking a higher magic priority pick (capping out at A)
2) picking the power point metamagic when initiating

I can also assure you that in the case of Mystic Adepts, they never gain PPs when their MAG increases. That's true both during chargen AND after.

Lormyr:

--- Quote from: markelphoenix on ---Weird. Another interpretation of RAW is that only applies in CharGen. When you go to section on Adept powers, it states Adepts, not Physical or Mystic. So, it can be read that in chargen, Power Points = Magic not allocated to spells  from attribute table, then post chargen raising magic would increase power points.

--- End quote ---

I agree that is what the CRB says. Some of this was altered in errata (primarily Mystic Adepts cannot buy power points for 5 Karma each during chargen and that when they lose essence they also lose magic), and the other part about not gaining a power point when raising Magic is an accepted carry over from earlier editions that is not actually written anywhere in the CRB that I can find. You are right that the book does not say that at all though, unless we are just both blind and missed it.

--- Quote from: Lormyr on ---
--- Quote from: markelphoenix on ---Weird. Another interpretation of RAW is that only applies in CharGen. When you go to section on Adept powers, it states Adepts, not Physical or Mystic. So, it can be read that in chargen, Power Points = Magic not allocated to spells  from attribute table, then post chargen raising magic would increase power points.

--- End quote ---

I agree that is what the CRB says. Some of this was altered in errata (primarily Mystic Adepts cannot buy power points for 5 Karma each during chargen and that when they lose essence they also lose magic), and the other part about not gaining a power point when raising Magic is an accepted carry over from earlier editions that is not actually written anywhere in the CRB that I can find. You are right that the book does not say that at all though, unless we are just both blind and missed it.

--- End quote ---

I'm 99% sure you're missing it.  Will update post/eat crow as appropriate after checking book.

EDIT:
Ok.  Walking thru the legalese:

Chargen reference: the Magic Priority pick page 66.  There's a paragraph discussing Adepts in fluff/lore sense, and punts you to pg 156 for the hard rules.
Over on pg 156, one of the subjects covered there is Power points.  The key sentence is

--- Quote from: Power Points, SR6W pg 156 ---Whenever adept characters gain or
lose a point of Magic, they also gain or lose a power
point.
--- End quote ---

Yes, it'd be nicer if "adept" was capitalized, but let's be real and recognize that the CRB simply is not written to the level of precision where you can actually say "since it's lowercase, it's not a game term".  There's more reason Adept != (Adept or Mystic Adept) than that potential ambiguity due to capitalization, anyway.

Back on pg 66, note that the Mystic Adept rules do not tell you to refer to pg 156.  Also note that there's no argument (that I can see) that would allow you to simultaneously choose to be both Adept and Mystic Adept... you have to be one or the other.  In the same way you cannot be both an Aspected Magician and a Full Magician... you have to pick and in picking, you're picking to NOT be everything else.  So on pg 66, the paragraph that covers "if you picked Mystic Adept" gives rules that do not jive with the rules on pg 156.  Namely:

--- Quote from: Magic Priority in Chargen, pg 66 SR6W ---This uses the Magic value in the Priority
table, not as adjusted with Karma or adjustment
points (but it is reduced by Essence loss).
--- End quote ---

I can't think of any good faith argument where there's any ambiguity that allows for a Mystic Adept to do chargen with 5 or 6 PPs, since the max MAG on the priority pick is 4. 

But wait, there's post-chargen!  These chargen rules don't refer to the post-chargen rules for Mystic Adepts, but they do exist and they're on pg. 158, directly following the rules for Adept Powers.  On pg 158, it discusses the relationship of PP to MAG rating without ever mentioning that PPs go up when MAG goes up.  And if PPs don't go up when you're a Mystic Adept, it's phoney baloney to say they go up when MAG goes up on the basis of being "a kind of Adept".

Lormyr:

--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---Mystic Adepts are not a type of Adept. (There's no such thing as a Physical Adpet anymore...)  Ergo, when a rule says "Adepts can..." it does not also mean "Adepts and Mystic Adepts can....".
--- End quote ---

This cannot be true, otherwise Mystic Adepts can never gain PP, since the Metamagic says "Adepts Only".

--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---I'm 99% sure you're missing it.  Will update post/eat crow as appropriate after checking book.
--- End quote ---

Yeah man let me know if you find it, I'd love to have the reference. Then again folks also assumed power levels were limited by magic rank, which is also no longer the case.

--- Quote from: Lormyr on ---
--- Quote from: Stainless Steel Devil Rat on ---Mystic Adepts are not a type of Adept. (There's no such thing as a Physical Adpet anymore...)  Ergo, when a rule says "Adepts can..." it does not also mean "Adepts and Mystic Adepts can....".
--- End quote ---

This cannot be true, otherwise Mystic Adepts can never gain PP, since the Metamagic says "Adepts Only".
--- End quote ---

Qi Foci, too.

News flash: we still haven't achieved perfection ;)

EDIT:  I updated my previous post with an explanation for why Mystic Adepts don't gain PPs when MAG goes up.. neither during chargen nor after.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version