NEWS

Defeating Astral Barriers

• 5 Replies

CyberKumiko

• Newb
« on: <04-11-18/0845:01> »

Is there any advantage in smashing through say a ward rather than sleazing past ?  Attacking ward in this manner alerts the magician whom created it i know.

So why risk blowing your astral scouting by attacking it ?

Also no mention of which attribute + skill to smash through ?  is it Cha + magic like in bypassing it ?

Feels analogous to the matrix actions of brute force and hack on the fly to me. So failing to sleaze through ward maybe forces the magician to resist drain perhaps ?

Am i missing something here ?

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-11-18/0956:12> »
Typically, the only reason I find to smash is if you happen to be running a lot of quickened magic, or if the force of the barrier is so high that chances of successful sleaze are minimal.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-11-18/1055:26> »
You can try to sneak through an astral barrier with a Magic + Charisma [Astral] vs. Force x2 Opposed Test. This gets progressively more difficult as you try to bring sustained spells, active foci, and spirit companions with you, since you need a net hit for each.

"If you want to break through a mana barrier, you need to deal with its Armor and Structure Ratings, just as you would with any other barrier. A mana barrier has Armor and Structure ratings equal to its Force." (Getting Around Mana Barriers, SR5, p.316).

You can try to smash it with Astral Combat + Willpower [Astral], DV = Charisma + net hits, or use a weapon focus (same test, except using the weapon's Accuracy limit and Charisma-based DV). (Astral Combat, p.315). You can also attack it directly with mana combat spells. The attack test is unopposed, but it can generate extra hits for added damage. The barrier gets a damage resistance test, rolling Force + Force instead of Armor + Structure. If the remaining damage to the barrier is greater than its Structure (Force), the attack opens a hole in the barrier.

SR5 isn't entirely clear what happens at this point. Is the mana barrier destroyed? Or does the attack just create a hole in the mana barrier, as it would with a physical one? (Destroying Barriers, p.197). If it makes a hole, does the hole close up when the mana barrier regenerates its full Structure rating at the end of the Combat Turn? (Getting Around Mana Barriers, p.316). I think option A: When a mana barrier takes damage above its Force in a single Combat Turn, it pops like a soap bubble.

Leaving the question: Why attack the barrier? Depending on circumstances, breaking it might be easier than squeezing through it. Maybe you're carrying a lot of quickened and sustained spells. Maybe you want to intimidate the magician who created it, or send a message that his defenses are weak. It could be a way of throwing down a gauntlet, daring him to come and defend his barrier. Maybe you just feel like breaking something, or flexing your astral muscles.

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <04-11-18/1136:44> »
...maybe you don't want to have to stop and break/sleaze through again on your way out.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-11-18/1146:03> »
If the goal is to recon the site and a barrier is foiling projection/spirit intel, you can defeat the barrier by taking a route instead through the physical or matrix "world" rather than figuratively and literally banging your head against a mana wall in the astral "world".

Mana barriers are no impediment if you're willing to cross them physically with no active foci or sustained spells.  Just re-activate and re-cast after you walk through the barrier!

And of course mana barriers are meaningless to recon drones and irrelevant when hijacking sensor data from inside the site.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <04-11-18/2205:21> »
Some people (dual natured), and situations don't have an option. It's either break the barrier, or the barrier breaks them. (the astral barrier in an elevator shaft from the book, remember).

Or, to create a distraction. Corps have lots of facilities, but their number of security mages is limited. Blowing up a barrier at "site A" is a good way to make sure that the magical assets show up there... and not at "site B" where your team actually is.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.