NEWS

Bull's Eye Double-Tap / Burst

• 33 Replies

Cabral

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <05-23-18/1332:51> »
Nope, -6. It's increased for every bullet after the first.

Really, unless you're using the perfect weapon and going for the perfect target, you're usually better off using your called shot for damage, not for AP.
The text Tecumseh provided said for each bullet in the burst, without excluding the first. That would mean that it would multiply the base AP by 3 (2 rounds) or 4 (3 rounds).

Theoretically, 1 damage = 3 AP. I don't have my books handy, but I think a standard called shot is +2 DV. With the extra requirements of this action, it should come out slightly ahead. If you say that the AP is 3 times the base (a 200% increase), it's never worth it with less than a - 2 AP weapon. Double tap is never worth it unless you have a -3 AP weapon. If it is increased by the multiplied value (a 300% increase for burst and 200% increase for double tap), then burst is slightly ahead with a -2 AP weapon and double tap breaks even with a -2 weapon.

Both interpretations get scary with higher AP burst weapons.

IMO, this should be a flat -5 AP - 1 per round in the burst, up to a - 8 with 6 rounds.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #16 on: <05-23-18/1509:27> »

IMO, this should be a flat -5 AP - 1 per round in the burst, up to a - 8 with 6 rounds.

A max of -8? I can do better than that with a single shot, using a Barrett 122 (at -6) with APDS (-4), for a total of -10. Why would a special move that is designed to only work with the ammo I'm using, and that uses multiple bullets,  give me less than what I can achieve with a single shot?
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Cabral

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <05-23-18/1557:06> »

A max of -8? I can do better than that with a single shot, using a Barrett 122 (at -6) with APDS (-4), for a total of -10. Why would a special move that is designed to only work with the ammo I'm using, and that uses multiple bullets,  give me less than what I can achieve with a single shot?
It should be a max of -8 from the action that requires you to fire a burst with APDS ammo added to the modifiers for APDS and your base weapon.

So, use this (BF) with the SMG example and you get 0 -8 -5 = -13 instead of -5.
With a Savalette Guardian, -1 -8 -5 = -14 instead of -8/-9*.
With a Yamaha Raiden, -2 -8 -5 = -15 instead of -11/-12*.
With an Onotari JP-K50, -3 -8 -5 = -16 instead of -14/-17*.
*see my earlier post about the wording of the effect and how to calculate the final modifier.

Alternatively, you can remove the ammo and fire mode requirement and change the basic called shot to +2 DV, +1 DV and -3 AP, or -6 AP.

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« Reply #18 on: <05-24-20/1006:12> »
I’ve scoured the interwebs for an answer to this, but no one seems to mention it at all, only y’all about the AP calculation. Why does this called shot not eliminate the defense modifier like e.g. Aimed Burst does? No one has mentioned that anywhere I can find, not in the official errata either.

This attack becomes extremely powerful if you fire a long burst with an assault rifle, which will net you like -10 AP and -5 to the defenders defense roll. Shouldn’t that defense modifier be removed? Same goes for some of the other specialty attack options, but only some of them mention the defense modifier.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #19 on: <05-24-20/1009:58> »
I'm guessing because it's a Called Shot, so it comes with the Called Shot penalty. Though I personally wouldn't let you use a wide burst penalty as a GM here, but the other specialty attacks tend to be replacements, rather than Called Shots, no?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <05-25-20/0155:23> »
I'm guessing because it's a Called Shot, so it comes with the Called Shot penalty. Though I personally wouldn't let you use a wide burst penalty as a GM here, but the other specialty attacks tend to be replacements, rather than Called Shots, no?

Aimed Burst and Double Tap complex actions both specifically say that there’s NO defense penalty because of the focused fire. It would logically make sense for that to apply to Bullseye as well, but it doesn’t say so. Not in the errata either. So they’ve gone to some lengths to NOT make that the case for Bullseye. Combined with the -4 called shot penalty that could be why I guess. But using Bullseye with a 10 shot burst makes it exceptionally powerful.

Which leads me to another question. Called Shots are a Free Action to be combined with another primary action. I think RAI this is meant to be one of the basic action or a Firing Mode, not a specialized action. So you combine the called shot with single shot, burst or full auto. Not with, say, Aimed Burst, Brain Blaster or any other of the R&G actions.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #21 on: <05-25-20/0221:32> »
Wait, I thought Bulls Eye Double Tap was the same action?_?

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <05-25-20/1049:07> »
Wait, I thought Bulls Eye Double Tap was the same action?_?

Same as what? Bullseye Double Tap/Burst is an Ammo Whammy Called Shot.

Double Tap and Brain Blaster are new attack actions.

Wu Jen

• Newb
  • The only true paradises are those that are lost.
« Reply #23 on: <05-26-20/0805:16> »
So mundane character with Perfect Time (5 Karma), Special Modifications -2 AP (10 Karma) & Sharpshooter (4 Karma) using a Cavalier Arms Crockett EBR.

Character would get a Free Action every Action Phase to use Called Shot Bulls Eye Double Tap, So -5AP x3 = -15AP + -4AP(ADPS) = -19AP for only a -2 penalty to the attack roll?
« Last Edit: <05-26-20/0809:15> by Wu Jen »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #24 on: <05-26-20/0920:35> »
Meh, a Semi-Automatic burst with the Barret is at -22 AP without special modifications.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <05-26-20/0932:35> »
Seriously, what is up with all the necro of old SR5 posts??
This is the 3rd or 4th thread in a week that was brought back from a 2 year old sleep.... :-)

...for only a -2 penalty to the attack roll?
And 19 karma(!)

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #26 on: <05-26-20/0945:09> »
Well if the post count on many of those posters is any indication then they are clearly fairly new players. A lot of folks still prefer SR5 to SR6, so I would expect to continue to see questions and necros.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #27 on: <05-26-20/0952:32> »
No need to harass newbies for finding a topic on the subject they have questions on. Cut them some slack and help them, rather than trying to chase them off.

Wu Jen

• Newb
  • The only true paradises are those that are lost.
« Reply #28 on: <05-26-20/1013:56> »
Seriously, what is up with all the necro of old SR5 posts??
This is the 3rd or 4th thread in a week that was brought back from a 2 year old sleep.... :-)

...for only a -2 penalty to the attack roll?
And 19 karma(!)
Add in Brand Loyalty (Product) 3 more Karma for 22 Total for that extra +1 die

For a mundane character using the above 12R rifle, it's not bad starting out add smartgun system for +2 die and mods so you don't take recoil penalties.

Each Combat Action (Simple) Take Aim, (Free Action - Double Tap/Bullseye burst), (Simple Action) Burst Fire
Rinse and repeat, don't have to worry about recoil, reduce range penalties etc

Still fairly strong for a starting mundane character being able to pump out -19 AP each combat action.

The Barret for the -22 would require Restricted Gear (10 Karma) the EBR is 12R, with underbarrel mount for Smartgun system you can keep it 12R.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #29 on: <05-26-20/1021:27> »
And it is a lovely Spirit-killer build thanks to that. BEDT is the biggest nerf to high-Force spirits.