NEWS

Can anyone help me to understand how the Analyze Device spell work?

• 2 Replies

marfish

• Newb
« on: <04-14-17/0337:48> »
This spell allows the subject to analyze the purpose and operation of a device or piece of equipment within range of the sense. The casting of the spell is opposed by the object’s resistance (p. 295). Each net hit can be used to provide a piece of information about the device that would not be readily apparent (for example, it would not give the information that it is a Renraku-manufactured device if the thing is emblazoned with a huge Renraku logo, but it might say what the basic function of the thing is). Each net hit also gives the subject a bonus die while operating the device and allows the subject to ignore any skill-defaulting modifiers for using it as long as the spell is sustained.

The major confusion is who the "subject" is? In my understanding, there are two possibility:
One, the caster is "the  subject". He cast the spell, and touch the device, then bla bla.
Two, the caster touch "the subject" (his teammate perhaps), and somehow choice which device the subject would have better understanding of.

Can anyone help me to confirm or deny my hypothesis?

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-14-17/0423:01> »
Your confusion is actually related to ALL detection spells, and the answer is in the defining characteristics of Detections Spells. First couple of sentences of the description for the spell classification on Page 285.

Detection spells give the subject a new sense (beyond the normal five) or improve a sense the subject already has, for as long as they are sustained. Detection spells may be cast upon yourself or on another subject within touch range.

The subject (the one receiving the information) of Detection Spells can either be the caster or a person touched. The range for that selection is Touch. The range of the sense is the next couple sentences.

The standard range of the sense a Detection spell grants is the spell’s Force x caster’s Magic in meters as a radius from the target of the spell. Extended-range detection spells have a Force x Magic x 10 meter range.

Analyze Device is a standard (non-Extended) range Detection spell. Therefore the statement of "a device or piece of equipment within range of the sense" is actually referring to within Force x Caster's Magic in meters.

So, your number Two is close, you just need to go to the definition in Detection Spells to get how the limitations for choosing the device are set up.

marfish

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-14-17/0604:08> »
Thank you! that clarify a lot!