NEWS

Maori Martial Arts and Weapons (Martial Arts)

• 0 Replies

Weldûn

• Chummer
« on: <09-15-11/1049:17> »
I'm currently working on character who is basically an update of one that I played in 3rd edition. He is a Maori Ork Adept who follows the Way of the Athlete, but has also taken up study of Mau Rakau, the indigenous weapons-based martial art. My problem is in deciding which martial art best reflects Mau Rakau's approach to fighting. I also have a problem of what kind of statistics to give some of the traditional weapons, but we'll leave that for discussion in the rules thread.

Mau Rakau and our unarmed form, Mau Ringa, are surprising similar to various Chinese arts, focusing on Meridian Theories of pressure points, flexible training drills and training against a sparring partner. It reminds me of Wu Shu, or even some of the movements seen in Korean arts like Hwa Rang Do. But there is also an emphasis in overwhelming power and brute strength, with a mix of what the Chinese would call "hard" and "soft" movements.
Cleverly disguised as an adult.

Which I think is sort of like arguing that a partial erection should get all the benefits of an erection.