NEWS

Satellite Link

• 21 Replies

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #15 on: <04-23-11/0033:22> »
I figure satellite access is part of the MSP (matrix service provider) package which is generally covered by lifestyle (because book keeping is lame.) 

As to why you wouldn't just use it all the time, it's not exactly subtle, easily portable or even necessary outside of specific circumstances.  It will give you coverage in a static or dead zone, but won't do too well breaking through jamming.  Jamming hits it harder because the signal has to travel into space, so if your sig drops at all, it can't travel far enough to reach the satellite.  IRL low orbit is 400km, so you'd need a R9 signal to reach it.  Apparently in SR, you only need the 100km range the dish's R8 signal provides.  Point is, sat dishes talk to sats, and sats are faaaaar away, so you need every bit of juice to reach it.  Even 1 pt of intentional jamming or the unintentional interference of a roof is enough to prevent that.

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #16 on: <04-23-11/0300:48> »
@ten-hex: ouch man, you are my kind of GM. Nice.

Back to discussion: most of the references I have found show LEO as about 180, 200, or 300 to 1,000 or 2,000km this means that it is not all LEO sats are within even signal 9 and a few would also be in range of signal 8 or even 7 in some cases

Geosynchronous sats are around 22,000 to 45,000 depending on the search and that really explains the lag, but not how a sat uplink's signal 8 could reach. Yet they list this as being able to be reached by a signal 8.

Red
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #17 on: <04-23-11/0303:54> »
Sorry contact not trying to be contradictory,your post impressed me so I hit the inter webs to learn more and that's what I found. Your point was really good however.

Red
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #18 on: <04-23-11/0431:17> »
Sorry contact not trying to be contradictory,your post impressed me so I hit the inter webs to learn more and that's what I found. Your point was really good however.

Red

No worries.  I ain't some kinda fact-pope trying to LARP infallibility.  :)

Don't let the avatar fool you.  I'm not an angry guy.  I just think Cole Burns is a badass.

Whidou

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <04-23-11/0918:02> »
I must have misunderstood the jamming rules then. I thought it only affected the devices with a lower rating than the jammer and left the other ones unaffected.
So in fact the signal of the device becomes Original Signal minus Jammer's Rating ?
« Last Edit: <04-23-11/0930:14> by Whidou »

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #20 on: <04-23-11/1124:57> »
Exactly, you got it. Just remember ECCM adds to the signal rating to resist the jamming attempt and it becomes signal +ECCM- jamming= current signal. Other factors like landscaping attinuation and wireless negating paint/wallpaper can also reduce the current signal as well.

@kontact- I could agree more he is a badass.

Red

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

Whidou

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <04-23-11/1139:28> »
Okay, thanks a lot.