Shadowrun Play > Character creation and critique

[SR4a] Archetypes: replacements for the Sample Characters

<< < (3/83) > >>

Shinobi Killfist:

--- Quote from: kirk on ---
--- Quote ---On the issue of contacts-
--- End quote ---
I've always found the contact list to be the most frustrating thing of making the character.  "Realistically" (snicker) unless each character grew up in a cave she should have dozens if not hundreds of 2 to 3 BP contacts. Every skill had to be learned, and many came from teachers (whether literal or just folk she hung around with). She learned a language or two? From whom - family? and family and the friends of family aren't contacts?

gah.

I've made comments of a couple of house rules for my table, but this is the one I'd change the most. You get 1 contact point per BP. At least half must be in 4 point or lower contacts. And at least two must be family (or foster family).  But that's just me.

--- End quote ---

I think the theory is yes you might know 50 people to some degree, but contacts are the people you know who can be useful in your chosen profession of being a shadowrunner.  I could call my childhood friend right now, and he'd be willing to help me any way he could.  The thing is unless I was asking him about a TV show he liked, how to overcome addiction, or the shipping policies of the company he works for he wouldn't be a help.  And for the latter part that is just the GM writing something into the adventure it wouldn't be an official contact. 

kirk:
Except the other purpose of contacts is to dig up what you can on both Mr. Johnson and your target. Which means if the target is a corp your shipping aware friend might know a thing or two -- even if it's not the same company.

Shinobi Killfist:
Sure, but again most people you now wont know what you need.  The paid for contacts are the secretaries that know these things, your random friend number 5 doesn't. 

UmaroVI:
Re: Contacts, this is one of those things that varies a lot from table to table. In Shadowrun Missions, contacts are something you can earn during gameplay; it's generally recommended that players start with at least one contact but that's not even universal. That's why I mentioned it under "Missions-specific design choices;" I know some tables will often see 15-30 bp spent on contacts, but in Missions that just isn't a smart choice.

Onion Man:

--- Quote from: UmaroVI on ---Re: Contacts, this is one of those things that varies a lot from table to table. In Shadowrun Missions, contacts are something you can earn during gameplay; it's generally recommended that players start with at least one contact but that's not even universal. That's why I mentioned it under "Missions-specific design choices;" I know some tables will often see 15-30 bp spent on contacts, but in Missions that just isn't a smart choice.

--- End quote ---

Yeah...  After just playing up to Smuggler's Blues at Origins, nojose and I maxed out several contacts.  You pick up contacts like hunting dogs pick up wood ticks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version