NEWS

[5e] Allow Additional Matrix Action after Brute Force / Hack on the Fly?

• 6 Replies

SteakAndSpirits

• Newb
« on: <09-17-21/2050:07> »
How terrible would it be to just house rule that after Brute Forcing / Hacking-on-the-Fly successfully, a Hacker can immediately take a follow-up Matrix action against wherever that Mark was acquired?

I've heard that 5th Edition Matrix can be a bit slow due to the need to gather marks -- I'm an old timer that's been away from SR for a long time, and it sounds like 5th edition is the right edition for a crunch-loving old timer like myself.  So exploring some simple fixers to that that don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

-s&s

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-17-21/2132:47> »
I understand that a popular house rule for 5e is to import the 6e take on marks:  you gain them on a per-network/host basis, rather than on a per-icon basis.  Or, to put it in 5e language: marks flow upstream AND downstream!  That's a fairly simple yet substantial time saver.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

SteakAndSpirits

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-17-21/2339:54> »
Ahhh, interesting!  Appreciate that tip.  Is there's a thread that consolidates similarly generally well regarded Matrix house rules?  Or, lacking that, might you direct me to some good resources on the topic that have stood the test of time?

(Edit:  Post edited to clarify request focus of house rules on Matrix)

-s&s
« Last Edit: <09-18-21/0323:45> by SteakAndSpirits »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-18-21/0432:13> »
Personally i think Brute Force should be the quick and dirty approach (so perhaps your suggestion would be applicable here) while Hack on the Fly in my mind could be the slow and stealthy approach.

As SSDR mentioned I think the SR6 take on this is even better (where both brute force and probe + back door entry as hack on the fly have been renamed into give you access to the entire network including all its devices and files in one og) but also where brute force is quick but directly cause alerts and probe + back door entry typically take more than 20 combat turns (but is stealthy and does not cause any alerts).

SteakAndSpirits

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-18-21/1036:27> »
As SSDR mentioned I think the SR6 take on this is even better (where both brute force and probe + back door entry as hack on the fly have been renamed into give you access to the entire network including all its devices and files in one og) but also where brute force is quick but directly cause alerts and probe + back door entry typically take more than 20 combat turns (but is stealthy and does not cause any alerts).

Is there a lift & shift available to use SR6 Matrix in SR5?

-s&s

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <09-18-21/1659:01> »
Explain what you mean by that phrase in this context (I am assuming we are not talking about cloud migration here).

SteakAndSpirits

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <09-18-21/1841:34> »
Explain what you mean by that phrase in this context (I am assuming we are not talking about cloud migration here).

Yep, you bet.  Just wondering if, as I interpreted you were indicating, SR6 Matrix rules are generally more playable than SR5 Matrix if there is a means of a straight forward translation of the SR6 principals into SR5 that don't require a significant investment in rewriting them.

My assessment of SR6 (Personal Opinion alert!  Not trying to start a flame war, everyone is entitled to an opinion!) is that it's generally not as reflective of the type of Shadowrun I enjoy best, but if it has a superior Matrix I'm open to exploring the space -- The Matrix has always been something of a cruft factory going back to every edition of this game that I can remember (though in fairness, we were more tolerant to it back then).

-s&s